Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

SLN Reserve

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: SLN Reserve
Post by munroburton   » Fri May 05, 2017 11:01 am

munroburton
Admiral

saber964 wrote:Just remember paperwork has to be done correctly or all hell will break loose. I read about a case of paperwork snafu in a magazine that I was able to verify. This takes place at Fort Carson CO when they made a mistake on their paperwork when they were ordering parts for a toilet. What they got instead was a 9 ton anchor from the Navy. I asked my brother about it and he said that it had happened. He also said that the Army couldn't return it because it had come of a decommissioned warship that was already headed to the breakers. So they wound up turning it into a Navy Memorial in the city of Colorado Springs.

That story tickled me so I looked into it for more details.

http://www.alu.army.mil/alog/issues/Jan ... QySPMa1vIU

Wasn't a toilet, but a $6 lightbulb. :lol:

They didn't turn it into a memorial, though. According to the article it was re-requisitioned by a frigate at the Norfolk base.
Post by Daryl   » Sat May 06, 2017 2:47 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Can't remember the title but a short story from the golden age has a military star ship doing a stock take before return to base after a long patrol. They couldn't locate or work out what was item 372D (or whatever) shiog. The captain said we've wasted enough time, just say it came spart under gravitational stress while passing a star, and send the report ahead. On arrival all hell broke lose, and while they were in quarantine the question was asked "How did the ship's dog come apart".
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sun May 07, 2017 2:01 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Daryl wrote:Can't remember the title but a short story from the golden age has a military star ship doing a stock take before return to base after a long patrol. They couldn't locate or work out what was item 372D (or whatever) shiog. The captain said we've wasted enough time, just say it came spart under gravitational stress while passing a star, and send the report ahead. On arrival all hell broke lose, and while they were in quarantine the question was asked "How did the ship's dog come apart".

The item in question was the "Offog" (i.e., "Official Dog"); the story was "Allamagoosa" by Eric Frank Russell.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by drothgery   » Wed May 10, 2017 12:47 am

drothgery
Admiral

kzt wrote:
drothgery wrote:And they weren't buying complete warships, complete warship designs, or even complete missile designs. They were buying designs of components and plugging them into systems designed by Havenites who had actual experience fighting real wars.

They bought at least one complete missile design, complete with hardware.

Yeah, but that was StateSec, not the People's Navy, and very low volumes.
Post by Fox2!   » Wed May 10, 2017 11:29 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

drothgery wrote:
kzt wrote:They bought at least one complete missile design, complete with hardware.

Yeah, but that was StateSec, not the People's Navy, and very low volumes.

Was that the homing "Assassination Missile" that StateSec was going to use as the final control on PN ships? And did use in the Cromarty Assassination?
Post by kzt   » Wed May 10, 2017 11:54 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:Was that the homing "Assassination Missile" that StateSec was going to use as the final control on PN ships? And did use in the Cromarty Assassination?

That's the one I was thinking of.

Return to Honorverse