Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests

Shadow of Victory

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Shadow of Victory
Post by searcher1943   » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:27 pm

searcher1943
Midshipman

I have been a David Weber fan for a looooonnnnnnggg time. I own every book he has written and the Honor Harrington series is my favorite series of all time (I started reading SciFi over 60 years ago and have several thousand volumes); however, I have found Shadow of Victory to be a great disappointment. I had to download the audio version as I cannot even pronounce 2/3 of the names he uses and the story is a rehash of previous scenarios. I was hoping to see a followup on the last (several years have passed since its release) Honor book.
Does anyone else feel the same way about this book???
Re: Shadow of Victory
Post by JohnRoth   » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:14 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

searcher1943 wrote:I have been a David Weber fan for a looooonnnnnnggg time. I own every book he has written and the Honor Harrington series is my favorite series of all time (I started reading SciFi over 60 years ago and have several thousand volumes); however, I have found Shadow of Victory to be a great disappointment. I had to download the audio version as I cannot even pronounce 2/3 of the names he uses and the story is a rehash of previous scenarios. I was hoping to see a followup on the last (several years have passed since its release) Honor book.
Does anyone else feel the same way about this book???

If you check the archives, you'll find that this topic has been hashed out and beaten to death long since.

To summarize: this is not the book that most of us were expecting, and many of us cannot see how it advances the plot line toward the final book in the series. The best that can be said for it is that it ties up a number of loose threads, and fleshes out a character who may be important in the last book.
Post by rpd   » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:40 pm

rpd
Midshipman

This topic may have been beaten to death, but I feel compelled to pile on. I have bought eARCs of many previous Honor books, and have gone back to get hardcopy of those I initially bought in paperback. But just as movie directors, once they have power, produce three hour movies that should have been 90 minutes, so it seems that Mr. Weber has indulged himself at the expense of his fans. So Mr. Weber: the next time you are sitting in a movie and your rear end gets tired after two hours, and you later decide that the movie should have been half as long and much more focused, look in a mirror. I am so so disappointed at the loss of a great series of experiences.
Post by Maldorian   » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:18 am

Maldorian
Captain (Junior Grade)

You can even talk about "Shadows of Victory"!

The german Vision of the book isn´t even published. I asked the germqan Publisher, they want to publish it, but it isn´t even anounced.

And to make things even worse, the Publisher cut all of David Webers books into 2 books, so, if they finally release the book, it would be only the first half book.

So, from my Position, crying on high Level.
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:55 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Page 3, Topic: "Very Disappointed." I suppose you could taunt a few of us into turning this into another 1,000,001 uses for Obsolete SLN SD junkers. Which I suppose i could post on the Honorverse Bestseller List topic
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.

Return to Honorverse