Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 64 guests

Any what if moments?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Any what if moments?
Post by Fox2!   » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:30 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:Hadn't considered that Honor could die from it and the possibility of her death would certainly be significantly higher than 50/50 considering she and Nimitz represent such a strong and old bond. But that would mean Young would be prone to necrophilia. The sick rat bastard! I wouldn't put it past him to get off on Honor's thrashing.

I think there would be a strong possibility of Honor going lethaly Berserker on Young before descending into apathy over Nimitz' death. As opposed to the mere crippling thrashing she actually delivered.

Still, Nimitz' death, or Pavel's disgrace if she'd reported him would have drastically changed the grounding of the events depicted in the Honorverse we all know and love. If Honor has get out of Hades plot-armor, then so does Nimitz.

I suspect that the non-accidental death of a tree cat at Saganami Island would get the personal attention of Roger Winton. NCIS and Palace Security would be all over the place. They would ask questions. They would get answers. Rank and position, social or military, would not protect those deemed responsible. Not even the North Hollow files.
Post by cthia   » Sat May 13, 2017 7:10 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I can't help wondering "What if King Roger survived the assassination attempt and is still ruling?"

How would everything have gone? Did Roger enjoy better support from his civilian constituents than Beth enjoyed, ever fighting to get what she wanted?

What would the chemistry between him and Honor be like?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by drothgery   » Sun May 14, 2017 10:37 am

drothgery
Admiral

cthia wrote:How would everything have gone?

Very differently, since either the Havenite invasion of Trevor's Star would have started the first Manticore-Haven war decades earlier (which would have meant a smaller RMN with fewer cool toys and essentially nothing from Grayson... but a rather strong ally in San Martin and no need to spend the first half of the war trying to retake Trevor's Star) or Haven would have backed off.
Post by GabrialSagan   » Thu May 18, 2017 1:07 am

GabrialSagan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

What if Paul Tankersley had not been killed? What if he had managed to avoid or survive his duel? He and Honor would have continued their relationship and perhaps tied the knot, which would have changed a great deal of Honor's personal trial and tribulations.
Post by Dauntless   » Thu May 18, 2017 9:36 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

GabrialSagan wrote:What if Paul Tankersley had not been killed? What if he had managed to avoid or survive his duel? He and Honor would have continued their relationship and perhaps tied the knot, which would have changed a great deal of Honor's personal trial and tribulations.

if tankesly survived then no exile to grayson. meaning that maybe fourth yeltsin actually succeeds for the peeps.

also Honor probably wouldn't be given command of wayfarer which means nimitz and samantha don't meet, bond and have kittens.
Post by Theemile   » Thu May 18, 2017 9:52 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:
GabrialSagan wrote:What if Paul Tankersley had not been killed? What if he had managed to avoid or survive his duel? He and Honor would have continued their relationship and perhaps tied the knot, which would have changed a great deal of Honor's personal trial and tribulations.

if tankesly survived then no exile to grayson. meaning that maybe fourth yeltsin actually succeeds for the peeps.

also Honor probably wouldn't be given command of wayfarer which means nimitz and samantha don't meet, bond and have kittens.

It also means that Honor doesn't necessarily become the Political Animal she became, or without 2 more Deathrides, the media darling she became. She and White Haven don't have the same close relationship between the wars and without her political savy and public clout, they are unable to mitigate High Ridge's military purges. Which places the RMN in an even worse place in 1919 when hostilities recommence.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by George J. Smith   » Thu May 18, 2017 9:57 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Dauntless wrote:

I'm not so sure about the exile to Grayson, originally Honor thought the events leading up to the duel were random, only after it emerged that Young had paid (?) for the duel did she go after (?) and Young. Even though in the scenario Paul survives, once the connection to Young is established I still think she would have gone after him.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by jdtinIA   » Thu May 18, 2017 5:12 pm

jdtinIA
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Fox2! wrote:What if ...

Honor took 8th Fleet on a little tour ... of the Sol system. Just showed up and requested to grant shore leave to her people?

Not a lot will happen. Remember the Sollies have never seen 8th Fleet in action. And the high command does not believe the "wildly inflated stories passed on by unqualified observers."
Post by saber964   » Thu May 18, 2017 5:30 pm

saber964
Admiral

Dauntless wrote:

Let's not forget Samantha's contributions like convincing the Bright Water council to sponsor a colony expedition to Grayson .
Post by BrightSoul   » Thu May 18, 2017 6:11 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

My personal favorite what if has to do with the High Ridge Giancola peace talks.

What if Eloise had replaced Groclaude with her personal choice to lead the talks?

Return to Honorverse