Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 109 guests

WHO is "Charles"?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
WHO is "Charles"?
Post by RedBaron   » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:33 am

RedBaron

Twice now he's been featured in Honorverse stories, the second one ending with his message being relayed to Honor... Who CLAIMS she doesn't know who he is yet there was something about her statement and subsequent actions that would make you think she knows more than she's letting on.

"Before he was taken off the Derfflinger, our mysterious friend Charles asked the Admiral to give you his greetings the next time he saw you. We hoped that you might actually know him and could shed a little light on who he really is"
"I'm afraid not," she said, shaking her head.
---
"Between his transfer, he somehow managed to disappear".
One of the armsmen shifted position slightly but remained silent. "Interesting," Harrington said. "I'd like to meet the man". She looked over her shoulder at her armsmen. "I'd like it very much".

Other than the stories "With one stone" and "An act of war", are there any other places/stories in the Honorverse where he is either mentioned or makes and appearance?
Re: WHO is "Charles"?
Post by George J. Smith   » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:40 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

from With One Stone
"Good," Hemphill said softly. "Then allow me make myself even clearer. You acted out of loyalty to Captain Harrington and the Fearless. I appreciate that. But loyalty must always be balanced with the larger perspective. Here we had a chance—a small one, admittedly, but still a chance—to feed Haven a line of disinformation that could have tied up its time and resources for years to come."

This makes me wonder what Hemphill knows about Charles
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by JohnRoth   » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:50 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:from With One Stone
"Good," Hemphill said softly. "Then allow me make myself even clearer. You acted out of loyalty to Captain Harrington and the Fearless. I appreciate that. But loyalty must always be balanced with the larger perspective. Here we had a chance—a small one, admittedly, but still a chance—to feed Haven a line of disinformation that could have tied up its time and resources for years to come."

This makes me wonder what Hemphill knows about Charles

Probably nothing. This was long before Hemphill and Harrington came to an understanding.

Charles' effect is malign enough that I could easily see him as a MAlign agent. However, we'll never know unless Zahn or RFC say.
Post by ncwolf   » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:36 pm

ncwolf
Commander

Good question. He's good enough to be Mesan Alignment, but his appearances pre-date, as far as I can recall, our hearing about MA (which doesn't rule them out). He reminds me of that guy from the TV show "Stingray"---for sale (year) Stingray. Barter only. I picture Charles turning to some Anderman and saying "I need a favor."
Post by d-eye   » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:39 am

d-eye
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

RedBaron wrote:Twice now he's been featured in Honorverse stories, the second one ending with his message being relayed to Honor... Who CLAIMS she doesn't know who he is yet there was something about her statement and subsequent actions that would make you think she knows more than she's letting on.

"Before he was taken off the Derfflinger, our mysterious friend Charles asked the Admiral to give you his greetings the next time he saw you. We hoped that you might actually know him and could shed a little light on who he really is"
"I'm afraid not," she said, shaking her head.
---
"Between his transfer, he somehow managed to disappear".
One of the armsmen shifted position slightly but remained silent. "Interesting," Harrington said. "I'd like to meet the man". She looked over her shoulder at her armsmen. "I'd like it very much".

Other than the stories "With one stone" and "An act of war", are there any other places/stories in the Honorverse where he is either mentioned or makes and appearance?

I remember my impression at the time of reading was that Charles is the armsman in disguise.
Post by Theemile   » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:46 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

d-eye wrote:
I remember my impression at the time of reading was that Charles is the armsman in disguise.

Honor's traveling detail is only 12 Armsmen, with 3 being the principles. That's small enough that Honor (especially Honor) should know all 12 by name, description, abilities, and peccadillos, let alone identifications by the other 2 members of the team - it's not as if they wear storm trooper helmets and can just disappear into a crowd.

However, someone who isn't ingrained in the universe writing for it may not know Honor and her Armsmen enough to know that, and may write it anyway. Many of those side stories in the anthologies almost read like generic sci-Fi, with the names and locations filled into the blanks. Even though this was Zahn, he might not have been that ingrained in the Honorverse at the time he wrote it.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by d-eye   » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:05 am

d-eye
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I wasn't suggesting that Honor wasn't aware of who it was disguised as her armsman ;)

Return to Honorverse