Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests

Honor & Nimitz & Pavel Young

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor & Nimitz & Pavel Young
Post by George J. Smith   » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:44 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

Max wrote:Nimitz was not with her in the shower because TreeCats do not enjoy getting wet the way people do.

Young survived because he graduated before Nimitz had enough chances to take care of him.

Textev is that Nimitz was drugged by one of Young's cronies and Honor left him behind in her quarters.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:27 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Max wrote:Nimitz was not with her in the shower because TreeCats do not enjoy getting wet the way people do.

Young survived because he graduated before Nimitz had enough chances to take care of him.

Treecats have only two kinds of enemies - those who are dead, and those who aren't dead. Yet.
Post by Max   » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:08 am

Max
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

George J. Smith wrote:

Textev is that Nimitz was drugged by one of Young's cronies and Honor left him behind in her quarters.

That too, but Honor would have been more concerned if Nimitz routinely went with her. I imagine there had been more than a little "horse play" that set the tone for her showering alone.

And, yes, Nimitz would have taken out Young if there had been enough opportunities to do so that would not have come back on Honor, but Young departed the scene before it could happen.
Post by cthia   » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:32 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:

Max wrote:That too, but Honor would have been more concerned if Nimitz routinely went with her. I imagine there had been more than a little "horse play" that set the tone for her showering alone.

And, yes, Nimitz would have taken out Young if there had been enough opportunities to do so that would not have come back on Honor, but Young departed the scene before it could happen.

:o

How did I forget that niggling little detail? In effect, the SOB had someone slip Nimitz a Mickey! Which wouldn't have been so niggling a detail to Nimitz or Honor had they known about it. Did they? I am sure Nimitz would have remembered everyone who came within his purview that night and would have retasted their mindglow in the very next available opportunity in his very own little treecat forensics. Nimitz would have constantly been on the lookout for the suspects/culprits.

All of the treecats were aware of everything regarding other treecats by courtesy of the Memory Singers. All treecats would have adored Nimitz and Honor because of Nimitz and Honor's history and what it meant to treecats as a whole. I'd tend to think there would have been other treecats that came within Pavel Young's sphere over the many years or vice versa. I wonder why none of them ever exacted revenge of some sort. It isn't like Young wouldn't have been recognized or that the two-legs can alter or disguise their mindglow like a ship's wedge. The cats are resourceful. What they could do while aboard ship was probably limited, but Young had to've been on planet often enough.

<What's that foul taste! I seem to recognize... YOUNG!>

Surprised the treecats didn't arrange some sort of an accident in the manner of the cultivator incident on Grayson. Except this time, is not a drill!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by shayvaan   » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:03 am

shayvaan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

One point that many of you seem to have forgotten.

You keep imagining the conversations between Honor and Nimitz that could/should have been happening at the time, but in actuality could NOT have, because treecats could not sign yet, and would not be able to yet for a couple of decades.

This was central to human/treecat relations at the time as the treecats were perfectly capable of understanding human language but incapable of talking back.

also remember at that time the treecats were deliberately making themselves seem to be less intelligent then they were per earlier treecat society decions.
Post by cthia   » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:33 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

shayvaan wrote:One point that many of you seem to have forgotten.

You keep imagining the conversations between Honor and Nimitz that could/should have been happening at the time, but in actuality could NOT have, because treecats could not sign yet, and would not be able to yet for a couple of decades.

This was central to human/treecat relations at the time as the treecats were perfectly capable of understanding human language but incapable of talking back.

also remember at that time the treecats were deliberately making themselves seem to be less intelligent then they were per earlier treecat society decions.

An excellent point. Although, in my defense, Nimitz' ability to sign was not needed to get his point across with respect to being left in his quarters. You ever tried to pry the hands of a small child away from a door jamb who didn't want to leave? Happens all of the time when parents leave their kids to play in my game room. It should not have been easy for Honor to pry six much stronger limbs away from what passed as her ship's door jamb. And I'm sure Nimitz' head would have been rapidly swiveling on its axis from side to side in the universal language of a "No Way Jose!" type of a gesture. The words I embedded, for dramatic effect, I imagined that Nimitz was thinking accompanied by Honor's retort.

Besides iirc, textev always supported the fact that there was a reasonable amount of communication between Honor and Nimitz that had developed over the years, and though it was limited, was still plenty enough for her to know his wishes. Just not efficient enough to impart the in-depth, detailed type of information in a formal interview-like setting that would have been required regarding, for instance, the dissemination of the history and tradition of the cats, per se.

Even a human child that hasn't quite learned to talk manages to convey certain things. Nimitz, being greatly more intelligent and determined than that would have had no problem making his wishes known, especially those involving Pavel Young and being left in his quarters. Just the image of Nimitz' arms outstretched and whiteknuckle gripping both doorjambs and blocking Honor's exit and delivering an earpiercing child-like shrill would have been communication enough, and humorous. It would be interesting to note the number of times she left him in his quarters when she knew that her path would cross Youngs after he learned to sign though.

Excellent point still, to keep us on our toes.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:00 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
How did I forget that niggling little detail? In effect, the SOB had someone slip Nimitz a Mickey! Which wouldn't have been so niggling a detail to Nimitz or Honor had they known about it. Did they? I am sure Nimitz would have remembered everyone who came within his purview that night and would have retasted their mindglow in the very next available opportunity in his very own little treecat forensics. Nimitz would have constantly been on the lookout for the suspects/culprits.
The problem is the person slipping Nimitz the cotanine didn't know they were doing so; their mindglow would have been entirely innocent.

In SVW, when Young is reminiscing about the incident, we learn that he pre-emptively spiked some of the celery that Honor's friends routines fed to Nimitz. So it wasn't even an unknown person who dosed him, it was a known friend who was entirely ignorant that anything was different from every other time they'd offered Nimitz celery.

So that's a dead-end. Even if Nimitz realized he was made sleepy by a drug there's no mindglow trail to follow to figure out how the drug got into his system. (And once the celery is digested no clear forensics trail either)
Post by cthia   » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
cthia wrote:
The problem is the person slipping Nimitz the cotanine didn't know they were doing so; their mindglow would have been entirely innocent.

In SVW, when Young is reminiscing about the incident, we learn that he pre-emptively spiked some of the celery that Honor's friends routines fed to Nimitz. So it wasn't even an unknown person who dosed him, it was a known friend who was entirely ignorant that anything was different from every other time they'd offered Nimitz celery.

So that's a dead-end. Even if Nimitz realized he was made sleepy by a drug there's no mindglow trail to follow to figure out how the drug got into his system. (And once the celery is digested no clear forensics trail either)
Darn, another cold case.

Thanks for clearing that up Jonathan. I should have known there simply had to be a reason why the incident wasn't pursued further by the bonded pair. The reason that I assumed the deliverer of the payload was in on it is because as it was effected, it was a dangerous proposition to all of the other humans around who could have become accidental victims of an incidental poisoning, collateral damage I suppose. Someone, allergic to the medication, or even someone unbeknownst of the dangers could have consumed too much of it and died. I didn't think that Young would have poisoned celery so lackadaisically where other officers could have consumed. I simply assumed that he'd make sure that the payload reached its mark. If you think about it, he also took a very big chance trying to poison Nimitz. How did he know the correct dosage to be given a cat? He could have killed Nimitz -- that's one for the "What if" thread.

OTOH in retrospect and considering the source would be fearing for his own safety, he had to plan it that way, ensuring there'd be a cutout that didn't lead back to him. And because it's a given that he's an asshole and cares about no one but Pavel Young.

Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:55 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:He could have killed Nimitz -- that's one for the "What if" thread.

In the textev that revealed the sedative in Nimits' celery was Young's regret that Nimitz didn't get enough to kill him.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:17 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:He could have killed Nimitz -- that's one for the "What if" thread.

In the textev that revealed the sedative in Nimits' celery was Young's regret that Nimitz didn't get enough to kill him.

Yep. Guess I should have mentioned that in my earlier post...

Still there seems to be some risk of a human snacking on the dosed celery instead of Nimitz. Though depending on how Honor's friend stored it, and how close to the event it was dosed, possibly not a major risk.

Return to Honorverse