Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 141 guests

Honor & Nimitz & Pavel Young

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor & Nimitz & Pavel Young
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:03 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Sorry saber, I overlooked this post where you pegged my logic that Nimitz may not have gotten the full dosage, because he is a slow methodical consumer of celery one strand at a time.

I knew he was a pervert! Which makes me think he keeps a ready supply of date rape drugs. Young is a case for Freud to bask in as well. His type is found on Law and Order: SVU. Young can't get it up unless he rapes or degrades a woman. Georgia mentions the sadistic side of him as well, he was a creep in bed. It was obvious that without it, Young's sexual prowess was as impotent as his uniform.

Again, unless this happens to be a different drug of the same name this was not a date rape drug that he used on Nimitz. Cotinine is a byproduct of nicotine.
It would be useless to help Young rape, or date rape, women -- so while its certainly not completely out of character for him to have had human date rape drugs on hand that not what he used here and we can't use what he drugged Nimitz with as evidence one way or the other of also stocking different drugs for different purposes.
Post by Louis R   » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:13 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Unlikely to be the same, unless you want to posit an activity almost opposite what it does in humans. Which is certainly not impossible but would definitely require knowledge of treecat pharmacology well beyond "well, it does this with people, so of course it will with 'cats" - that's actually all we have evidence for so far.

Jonathan_S wrote:
cthia wrote:Sorry saber, I overlooked this post where you pegged my logic that Nimitz may not have gotten the full dosage, because he is a slow methodical consumer of celery one strand at a time.

I knew he was a pervert! Which makes me think he keeps a ready supply of date rape drugs. Young is a case for Freud to bask in as well. His type is found on Law and Order: SVU. Young can't get it up unless he rapes or degrades a woman. Georgia mentions the sadistic side of him as well, he was a creep in bed. It was obvious that without it, Young's sexual prowess was as impotent as his uniform.

Again, unless this happens to be a different drug of the same name this was not a date rape drug that he used on Nimitz. Cotinine is a byproduct of nicotine.
It would be useless to help Young rape, or date rape, women -- so while its certainly not completely out of character for him to have had human date rape drugs on hand that not what he used here and we can't use what he drugged Nimitz with as evidence one way or the other of also stocking different drugs for different purposes.
Post by cthia   » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:56 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Louis R wrote:Unlikely to be the same, unless you want to posit an activity almost opposite what it does in humans. Which is certainly not impossible but would definitely require knowledge of treecat pharmacology well beyond "well, it does this with people, so of course it will with 'cats" - that's actually all we have evidence for so far.
Which mirrors my post upstream about Young being too callous and arrogant to research such specific information, which could have possibly made other sources privy to his culpability if it went south and was ever investigated.

Jonathan_S wrote:

Certainly sane points both of you. We just don't know. Highly speculative on our part, except of course that it certainly could have been fatal to Nimitz. It is certainly one to consider and roll around the roof of your brain. Here is the problem I have with it.

1) I'm not completely convinced that it is the same drug, besides your spelling it differently, which could just be a spelling error, I'd like to hear it from RFC.

2) Young's date rape personality and history is far too much too understeer. It certainly isn't out of his character as you've acknowledged. But admittedly it could just be an astonishing coincidence. I don't like coincidences, and absolutely abhor astonishing ones. Bracketing that argument for sake of conversation, let's assume that the two drugs are the same...

3)
Same wiki article wrote: Cotinine treatment has also been shown to reduce depression, anxiety, and fear-related behavior as well as memory impairment in animal models of depression, PTSD, and Alzheimer's disease. Nonetheless, treatment with cotinine in humans was reported to have no significant physiologic, subjective, or performance effects in one study, though others suggest that this may not be the case.
Because cotinine is the main metabolite to nicotine and has been shown to be pharmacologically active, it has been suggested that some of nicotine's effects in the nervous system may be mediated by cotinine and/or complex interactions with nicotine itself

I am certain that it is universally not the case. I would wager that the study uses a base of regular smokers, those who are desensitised to nicotine and its byproducts. The other half of the study (data) that suggests that there may be physiological effects I assume would hail from the populous who do not routinely ingest nicotine -- i.e., are not smokers. (All speculation on my part.) And trust me, having been on the receiving end of a nicotine poisoning, I can assure you it is a copper-plated Cordelia Ransom (why I don't smoke). (Although symptomatic of the nicotine itself.) Admittedly, that may make me an accomplice to nitpicking. May. However...

4) Anything can be considered a date rape drug if it accomplishes the mission of leaving the victim helpless, incapacitated and lying in the supine—or prone to be politically LGBT correct—position. Hell, alcohol can be considered a date rape drug.

5) Also, cotinine under study is introduced in controlled doses. If used as a date rape drug--or to incapacitate (effectively the same)--the doses would be significantly higher. And without natural nicotine in the system to "burn" the cotinine I would suspect that the effect would be "date rape-able." Veritable Cat on a platter. Especially in light of the fact that in the Honorverse, exposure to nicotine and by relation cotinine isn't a common thing where a tolerance is built up.

I asked one of my sisters, M.D., about drugs that are more harmful to pets than humans. "Are you kidding, almost everything we take is dangerously toxic to pets." So, that theory is sound. Although, they are dangerous to humans as well in fatal doses and in conjunction with other drugs and especially alcohol. Here is a site she suggested, here Which was an eye-opener for me. I asked her about cotinine and got a fricking thesis. "Can you water it down?" "That was with water."

6) If I didn't misunderstand Louis' post, it mirrors what I was thinking. If it was not a date rape drug, then it would not have been a guarantee to incapacitate Nimitz. It had to be a drug that would definitely achieve the desired result, and cotinine, unless specific research is available to the contrary in the case of the cats, does not.

7) Too neat a package for the likes of Pavel Young to achieve considering that his arrogance, birth and the North Hollow files made him feel invincible.

Admittedly, w/o RFC's input could just be a cat barking up the wrong tree.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:16 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Was anyone on Young's ship HMS Warlock bonded? If so, I imagine there was no love lost between CO and Cat. Young's reputation certainly would have preceded him via the treecat grapevine. Sour grapes indeed.

Young would probably lobby against having a cat aboard his ship.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by pnakasone   » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:41 am

pnakasone
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Was anyone on Young's ship HMS Warlock bonded? If so, I imagine there was no love lost between CO and Cat. Young's reputation certainly would have preceded him via the treecat grapevine. Sour grapes indeed.

I think it is safe to say that there was no love lost between him and pretty much the entire crew of his ship.

I wounder what the crew turnover rate was like for his ship while he was in command?
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:19 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

pnakasone wrote:
cthia wrote:Was anyone on Young's ship HMS Warlock bonded? If so, I imagine there was no love lost between CO and Cat. Young's reputation certainly would have preceded him via the treecat grapevine. Sour grapes indeed.

I think it is safe to say that there was no love lost between him and pretty much the entire crew of his ship.

I wounder what the crew turnover rate was like for his ship while he was in command?

You said a mouthful there. Which reminds me of the cold shoulder, breast, arms and legs that Honor initially received from her crew aboard Fearless before she finally won them over. They were dragging ass and didn't want to accomplish a damn thing. Of course, they were still partial to their displaced CO, McKeon.

At any rate, how effective of a ship did Young have, being that every one of his crew members hated him with a passion? And the arrogant rat bastard probably hadn't even cared or as much as tried to at least bridge the gap. I wouldn't put it past him that he was too consumed and arrogant to even notice.

Paul Tankersley was Young's XO, and I'm sure he maintained his professionalism, though it had to have irritated him. How the heck did Tankersley manage to draw that duty assignment? Being sentenced to serve aboard a ship of Young's had to be equivalent to a stint on Hades which represented a double indemnity of despair with both Basilisk and Hades to boot. The entire crew must have been the recipient of the Admiralty's ire and retribution.

Though I suppose the crew simply got pissed on as collateral damage in the punishment and dispensing of Young to be exiled to the Antarctic of space as was the crew of Fearless no more deserving of the Basilisk system simply to smack down Harrington. Tough job, but somebody's ass needs to provide meat for the butcher 'eh?

Turnover rate? All of the outgoing mail from Warlock was a transfer request. All of the incoming mail was a "Wait your turn" response.

Just can not figure out how the talents of a Tankersley was wasted aboard Warlock.

Though to be honest, I could never figure out how the talents of a Warlock could be wasted on a Young.

Post by Dauntless   » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:13 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

Tankersly was probably doing almost all the work and was likely sent to try and mitigate whatever stupidness Young came up with.

also XC tour is supposed to be hard and show as proof that they deserved their own ship. Tankersly's transfer to yard work was partly to try and prevent any young crony from trying to take revenge for young. after all going from ship duty to yard dog would likely be seen as a demotion to the idiots like young etc.

I think odds are good that like ginger he soon would have ended up with a fleet repair ship.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:51 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:...Of course, they were still partial to their displaced CO, McKeon...

McKeon was XO of Fearless and passed over for CO, not displaced as CO.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:04 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:...Of course, they were still partial to their displaced CO, McKeon...

McKeon was XO of Fearless and passed over for CO, not displaced as CO.

Indeed, I meant "displaced" to, facetiously, both mean/represent "passed over" and "as far as the crew was concerned McKeon should have gotten it and even with Harrington there was still who they listened to."

I should have made it clear for the record and for the record I accept several lashes for false reporting. Hmm, false reporting, must be left over residue from the election.

Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:14 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:Tankersly was probably doing almost all the work and was likely sent to try and mitigate whatever stupidness Young came up with.

also XC tour is supposed to be hard and show as proof that they deserved their own ship. Tankersly's transfer to yard work was partly to try and prevent any young crony from trying to take revenge for young. after all going from ship duty to yard dog would likely be seen as a demotion to the idiots like young etc.

I think odds are good that like ginger he soon would have ended up with a fleet repair ship.
Your logic is cogent. ISTR textev supporting that Paul did do the lion's share of the work. He didn't do it all though, Young at least signed forms. Remember he signed off on whatsa-ship-name in orbit in the Basilisk system being secure? Hey, let's give credit where credit is due. Let's not dress Paul in Pavel's impotent uniform. LOL

Would Young have actually seen it as a demotion? Isn't it customary to yoyo about to acquire the full qualifications to get a ship of your own?

Return to Honorverse