Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests

Fusion plants

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Fusion plants
Post by The E   » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:37 am

The E
Admiral

munroburton wrote:Don't energy torpedoes draw that hot plasma directly from the fusion reactors and spit it at enemy targets?

They do, AFAICR, which would make emergency plasma vents definitely possible (whether or not Honorverse science is up to making a plasma vent capable of discharging most or all of the fusion plasma in an active reactor is another matter though)
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:11 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Vince wrote:
munroburton wrote:Don't energy torpedoes draw that hot plasma directly from the fusion reactors and spit it at enemy targets?

They do. They also are very short ranged IIRC (1 light second) and are ballistic (no ability to change direction after being fired). They are also completely ineffective against a target protected by a sidewall as well as an impeller wedge.

I guess you could use them as a way to vent reactor plasma - except new ships no longer mount them due to the limitations you mentioned.
Post by kzt   » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:21 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

In theory you could cool off a 5 GW nuclear reactor by having it charge your laptop. It just might not be a very effective or speedy approach...
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:02 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:In theory you could cool off a 5 GW nuclear reactor by having it charge your laptop. It just might not be a very effective or speedy approach...

Sure, but expelling blobs of confined high density reactor plasma at a high cyclic rate (aka Energy Torpedoes) will deplete a reactor way faster than charging your laptop.

Maybe more like charging your Tesla ;)
Post by munroburton   » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:34 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
kzt wrote:In theory you could cool off a 5 GW nuclear reactor by having it charge your laptop. It just might not be a very effective or speedy approach...

Sure, but expelling blobs of confined high density reactor plasma at a high cyclic rate (aka Energy Torpedoes) will deplete a reactor way faster than charging your laptop.

Maybe more like charging your Tesla ;)

Right! The energy torps are magnetically confined. I knew I'd forgotten something.

No mag-con might means serious blow-back for the venting ship.
Post by Annachie   » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:27 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

You'd have to vent both ways to avoid who knows what accelerations.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:50 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:You'd have to vent both ways to avoid who knows what accelerations.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

This knocked a thought lose in my head. At Cerberus we saw that Honorverse ships have fusion jets capable of accelerating a roughly half million ton CA at 150 gees; consuming days worth of reactor fuel in minutes. Sounds like a dandy way to rapidly vent a reactor's plasma - assuming the systems are linked.
Sure the ship would accelerate; but not for long.
Post by ZVar   » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:44 pm

ZVar
Lieutenant Commander

Vince wrote:There are no fighters in the Honorverse. LACs are not fighters, they are more akin to motor torpedo boats (and have only a small advantage in acceleration over starships). And trying to get a contact nuke first close enough, and second to fly down a vent on an Honorverse starship is impossible (the missile simply doesn't have the acceleration capability to make the turn).

Actually there are fighters in Honorverse. I think we only here about them once when the Queen visits Honor's ship. Something about the Stingships docking before the Queens shuttle.
Also was it not mentioned stingships are single pilot space/atmosphere fighters or am I confusing universes again?
Post by kzt   » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:55 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Sting ships are vague. The current manti ones could fly from manticore to gryphon. They also refer to much less capable craft.
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:07 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

kzt wrote:Sting ships are vague. The current manti ones could fly from manticore to gryphon. They also refer to much less capable craft.

That would just barely skirt the East Quay agreement on roles and responsibilities between the Royal Army, Royal Navy and Royal Manticoran Marine Corps.

Return to Honorverse