Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Detweiler and Sons

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Detweiler and Sons
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:18 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Detweiler & Sons

Reads like the name of a kosher deli :mrgreen:

sorry couldn't resist
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by phillies   » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:22 am

phillies
Admiral

One might then wonder when Detweiler's wife's children are going to show up, whether as clones or elsewise.
Post by SYED   » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:20 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

It might simply be a messed up approach to preserving a bloodline, with out the complete ickyness of incest.
Post by JohnRoth   » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:23 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

phillies wrote:One might then wonder when Detweiler's wife's children are going to show up, whether as clones or elsewise.

As far as I know, she doesn't have any. At least, there's no suggestion in the book that she does.

As far as the next generation is concerned, though, Albrecht believes they got off safely before the Big Bang. Rufino C. was still waiting for them to arrive on Darius. Which way is RFC going to play it? No idea.
Post by Annachie   » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:02 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Then again, it's always possible that the kids were naturally carried by Detwriler's wife.

The planning board would have to recognize the family bonding that actual pregnancies would create, and that it would be benificial heading into the end game.

Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by cthia   » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:15 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:Then again, it's always possible that the kids were naturally carried by Detwriler's wife.

The planning board would have to recognize the family bonding that actual pregnancies would create, and that it would be benificial heading into the end game.

Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

That would make hers the "Womb of all malignant evil?"

Technically, can't Detweiler and his sons be considered to be Siamese twins, since they share the same delusions of grandeur and sanity. They are conjoined at the lip.

Except that it is clear that these Siamese twins were created by fission of the egg. LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:23 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:Detweiler & Sons

Reads like the name of a kosher deli :mrgreen:

sorry couldn't resist

It really does.

Or sounds like the old-fashioned hardware and plumbing stores—with its own brand of power tools. Such as the featured Detweiler brand of roto-rooter for loosening and stirring up schit.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:42 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SYED wrote:It might simply be a messed up approach to preserving a bloodline, with out the complete ickyness of incest.

The psychology of it all is interesting. Every man wants to be all he can be for his sons. He wants his sons to look up to him. To emulate him. Little wonder Detweiler crafted his sons out of his own loins. He essentially gave them a genetic rib, as Eve received a rib from Adam. The original Detweiler was almost in every way the Malign Adam.

The sons have a hero-worship, a love affair if you will, for their father... is this the countervailing opposite of the Oedipus complex or would it be more accurately renamed as the "Ohedipus complex?" ? shrugs

Rather interesting, psychologically. If his wife had absolutely nothing to do with the conception, how can she feel anything other than useless—in the overall scheme of things, dead weight, inferior in every way? How can she feel anything like a part of the family as opposed to just a part of the marriage?

Talk about dysfunctional family syndrome.

Post by WeirdlyWired   » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:17 pm

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

cthia wrote: The psychology of it all is interesting. Every man wants to be all he can be for his sons. He wants his sons to look up to him. To emulate him. Little wonder Detweiler crafted his sons out of his own loins. He essentially gave them a genetic rib, as Eve received a rib from Adam. The original Detweiler was almost in every way the Malign Adam.

The sons have a hero-worship, a love affair if you will, for their father... is this the countervailing opposite of the Oedipus complex or would it be more accurately renamed as the "Ohedipus complex?" ? shrugs

Rather interesting, psychologically. If his wife had absolutely nothing to do with the conception, how can she feel anything other than useless—in the overall scheme of things, dead weight, inferior in every way? How can she feel anything like a part of the family as opposed to just a part of the marriage?

The other side of the Oedipus complex is the Electra Complex. But that is the daughter/father thing.

And these are the would be rulers of the known universe.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by cthia   » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:37 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

WeirdlyWired wrote:
cthia wrote: The psychology of it all is interesting. Every man wants to be all he can be for his sons. He wants his sons to look up to him. To emulate him. Little wonder Detweiler crafted his sons out of his own loins. He essentially gave them a genetic rib, as Eve received a rib from Adam. The original Detweiler was almost in every way the Malign Adam.

The other side of the Oedipus complex is the Electra Complex. But that is the daughter/father thing.

And these are the would be rulers of the known universe.

Indeed. And thanks for supplying the term.

However, there's a distinction that I'm trying to point out. The Electra complex is still the Oedipus complex, just manifested in young girls.

But by definition, this sort of love for the same parent is NOT, by definition, the Oedipus complex.

Perhaps it should be called the Oedipus Rex Complex—for its a dinosaur of a complex.

Return to Honorverse