Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 73 guests

Detweiler and Sons

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Detweiler and Sons
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:06 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:Be careful, cthia. What you are saying reflects a real truth, but you are being unidimensional about it. There are lots of cops out there trying to do the right thing, just as there are folks, both black and white, who are crminally oriented, making the police officer's job a dangerous one. Blanket condemnations either way impede the discussion and widen the racial gap.

Paint with a narrow brush, not a wide one.

Don

-

Sorry Don. No brush is wide enough to capture the whole truth. Denial is criminal and evil.

I never claimed that it was all officers, but of the ones who are racist, there is no such thing as a little racist.

Those tapes need releasing. If ever "We can't handle the truth," is in those tapes.

Also, it surfaced that the officers who did not go along with the program in LA were bullied. Keeping silent is just as criminal, if you are an officer. An officer's job is to serve and protect, and react when they see a crime. An officer is just as guilty allowing it to go on.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:23 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The Mark Fuhrman tapes.

I was painting with a narrow brush, Don. They don't make brushes this wide.

This site.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:14 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:The Mark Fuhrman tapes.

This site.

That's where things go off the rails. I've heard teachers say things that could be construed as racist and then work their butts off to get minority kids well educated.

I heard one teacher call a kid names that would never be allowed on TV, using a real lot of racial epithets. Both student and teacher were black.

Fuhrman, as I recall, had been a respected cop. Yes, he talked tough but he had not had any racist incidents chalked up to him after years of work.

The politically correct are often very precise in determining language but then many find loopholes by which they manage to do far more damage.
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:22 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
cthia wrote:The Mark Fuhrman tapes.

This site.

That's where things go off the rails. I've heard teachers say things that could be construed as racist and then work their butts off to get minority kids well educated.

I heard one teacher call a kid names that would never be allowed on TV, using a real lot of racial epithets. Both student and teacher were black.

Fuhrman, as I recall, had been a respected cop. Yes, he talked tough but he had not had any racist incidents chalked up to him after years of work.

The politically correct are often very precise in determining language but then many find loopholes by which they manage to do far more damage.

Better check your facts again. Furhman had amassed some four to five thousand incidents on record. This comes right out of his own mouth.

Who the hell cares about racial epithets in the face of what Furhman and his gang were doing? I'm sure the many victims would have loved simply being called names.

He was well respected by whom? The corrupt LAPD who were worse than gangs and thugs?

Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:36 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Besides, teachers don't hide behind a badge and a gun with a license to kill on a pledge to protect.

If a candidate doesn't think he can be fair to all races as an officer, then go and flip burgers. Part of the training course is comprised of pop up targets. You don't shoot the teacher. You don't shoot the doctor. You don't shoot the kid. You don't empty your clip into everything black.

Post by pappilon   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:43 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:Besides, teachers don't hide behind a badge and a gun with a license to kill on a pledge to protect.

If a candidate doesn't think he can be fair to all races as an officer, then go and flip burgers. Part of the training course is comprised of pop up targets. You don't shoot the teacher. You don't shoot the doctor. You don't shoot the kid. You don't empty your clip into everything black.

I think it is not an issue of the brush being too wide but rather the canvas being too small. Its not always racism so much as racial bias, which is even more insidious. And yes it is about training and selection, and addressing bias. And the issue is not just about Black males, there is also the issue of the mentally ill. Some of the right people are getting that license to kill with impunity, but some of the wrong ones are, too.

PS: I took the amoral choice. I'm strongly right hand dominant, so I choose to save the arbitrarily lucky kid that happens to be to my right, in the interest of compromise between doing my job and self-preservation. You can't win the Kobayashi Maru scenario without cheating.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Hornblower   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:14 am

Hornblower
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

pappilon wrote:
cthia wrote:Besides, teachers don't hide behind a badge and a gun with a license to kill on a pledge to protect.

I think it is not an issue of the brush being too wide but rather the canvas being too small. Its not always racism so much as racial bias, which is even more insidious. And yes it is about training and selection, and addressing bias. And the issue is not just about Black males, there is also the issue of the mentally ill. Some of the right people are getting that license to kill with impunity, but some of the wrong ones are, too.

PS: I took the amoral choice. I'm strongly right hand dominant, so I choose to save the arbitrarily lucky kid that happens to be to my right, in the interest of compromise between doing my job and self-preservation. You can't win the Kobayashi Maru scenario without cheating.

I think this thread has derailed!
Post by pappilon   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:49 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

pappilon wrote:I think it is not an issue of the brush being too wide but rather the canvas being too small. Its not always racism so much as racial bias, which is even more insidious. And yes it is about training and selection, and addressing bias. And the issue is not just about Black males, there is also the issue of the mentally ill. Some of the right people are getting that license to kill with impunity, but some of the wrong ones are, too.

Hornblower wrote:I think this thread has derailed!

What I was trying to point out was that The Detweillers do have a sense of Morality. It may not coincide with the 21st century Christian Fundamentalist version of morality. But it does seem to reflect the morality of some 21st Century neonazis. And the point of science fiction is to examine those differences.

Back on topic?
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:17 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

It was never off topic.

Racism, prejudice, lack of morality = Detweiler And Sons

Post by pappilon   » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:03 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:It was never off topic.

Racism, prejudice, lack of morality = Detweiler And Sons

Don't tell me, I had a good sense of where it was going. Tell Hornblower. He's the one with the issues.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Return to Honorverse