Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 143 guests

Hope & Aspirations for the Finale

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Hope & Aspirations for the Finale
Post by Dauntless   » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:31 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

it is what he had planned originally.

hopefully that has changed. I love her too much to see her die. RFC has killed off so many great characters, I still haven't forgiven him for killing everyone on troubdour's flag bridge, McKeown had been with her so long that i had thought he would dodge the cures.

Honor has had so little peace over the last 2 decades since the peeps tried to take Basilisk, that a quiet retirement, to enjoy what she has spent all those year protecting would be nice.
Post by AJKohler   » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:07 am

AJKohler
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Dauntless wrote:it is what he had planned originally.

hopefully that has changed. I love her too much to see her die. RFC has killed off so many great characters, I still haven't forgiven him for killing everyone on troubdour's flag bridge, McKeown had been with her so long that i had thought he would dodge the cures.

Honor has had so little peace over the last 2 decades since the peeps tried to take Basilisk, that a quiet retirement, to enjoy what she has spent all those year protecting would be nice.

I'll second this. I, too, have lost so many characters I came to care about. It broke my heart when Richard Bolitho died; I do not want to repeat it with one of the best women in my reading experience. Let her enjoy her life - and let her have one.
Tony

http://www.repeat-lives.com - Please read Repeat
Vietnam veteran - 187th Assault Helicopter Company, Tay Ninh, RVN 1968 - 1969
Post by robert132   » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:57 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

AJKohler wrote:I'll second this. I, too, have lost so many characters I came to care about. It broke my heart when Richard Bolitho died; I do not want to repeat it with one of the best women in my reading experience. Let her enjoy her life - and let her have one.

I too hope she survives this war, but that isn't up to us. It's up to RFC and he already has it written at least in draft form.

I had wondered if any others on this forum had read Alexander Kent's Bolitho series. Glad to see I'm not alone. Frankly it shocked me to see THE principle character killed. Douglas Reeman (Kent) attempted to continue the series with young Adam as the principle but I lost interest in it very quickly and the series "died" soon thereafter.

Killing off the principle protagonist(s) doesn't strike me as a good thing to do in literature. I certainly won't do it in my writings even though Kent is one of my many Muses (along with RFC.)

Maybe one day I'll even attempt to publish.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

We could have a cliff hanger, Alignment is caught in some extent, but a main faction fades away for 130 years turning up when Honors kids are adventuring. In the next series...
Post by Hornblower   » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:55 am

Hornblower

Lord Skimper wrote:We could have a cliff hanger, Alignment is caught in some extent, but a main faction fades away for 130 years turning up when Honors kids are adventuring. In the next series...

will there be a next series??? :(
Post by AJKohler   » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:30 am

AJKohler

robert132 wrote:
AJKohler wrote:I'll second this. I, too, have lost so many characters I came to care about. It broke my heart when Richard Bolitho died; I do not want to repeat it with one of the best women in my reading experience. Let her enjoy her life - and let her have one.

I too hope she survives this war, but that isn't up to us. It's up to RFC and he already has it written at least in draft form.

I had wondered if any others on this forum had read Alexander Kent's Bolitho series. Glad to see I'm not alone. Frankly it shocked me to see THE principle character killed. Douglas Reeman (Kent) attempted to continue the series with young Adam as the principle but I lost interest in it very quickly and the series "died" soon thereafter.

Killing off the principle protagonist(s) doesn't strike me as a good thing to do in literature. I certainly won't do it in my writings even though Kent is one of my many Muses (along with RFC.)

Hah! I had the same reaction to Adam Bolitho - a nice enough fellow, but not one who kept my interest - and thought it was just me. But at least in my past, Bolitho, Ramage, Drinkwater and a couple of others. I've read a lot in my time.

I have killed off principal characters in my writing, but they tend to die a peaceful death in the natural course of events. The deaths of the characters in my first three books aren't published and probably won't be; I wrote them because I saw those deaths happening that way and had to put them down on the computer screen. The deaths of the characters in Repeat: A Love Story For The Ages - well, those were an integral part of the story. You'd have to read it to see what I mean (shameless plug).

But killing off Honor at this point - no. As I said, she deserves a life. A nice life. The story could well pick up again with her children, but she should have a chance to see them grow up. They're going to have enough troubles, especially in the RMN, being saddled with the name Alexander-Harrington. They shouldn't have to grow up shy a parent as well.
Tony

http://www.repeat-lives.com - Please read Repeat
Vietnam veteran - 187th Assault Helicopter Company, Tay Ninh, RVN 1968 - 1969
Post by cthia   » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:29 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

robert132 wrote:

AJKohler wrote:Hah! I had the same reaction to Adam Bolitho - a nice enough fellow, but not one who kept my interest - and thought it was just me. But at least in my past, Bolitho, Ramage, Drinkwater and a couple of others. I've read a lot in my time.

I have killed off principal characters in my writing, but they tend to die a peaceful death in the natural course of events. The deaths of the characters in my first three books aren't published and probably won't be; I wrote them because I saw those deaths happening that way and had to put them down on the computer screen. The deaths of the characters in Repeat: A Love Story For The Ages - well, those were an integral part of the story. You'd have to read it to see what I mean (shameless plug).

But killing off Honor at this point - no. As I said, she deserves a life. A nice life. The story could well pick up again with her children, but she should have a chance to see them grow up. They're going to have enough troubles, especially in the RMN, being saddled with the name Alexander-Harrington. They shouldn't have to grow up shy a parent as well.

I concur in all things Honoriffic.

The thing is, how can it still be considered the Honorverse without its namesake? I doubt that the story has enough impetus to survive killing off Honor if it wants to retain me as a reader. If RFC had stayed his course and killed off Honor as originally planned, I'd have long since abandoned the series and wouldn't even be a part of the forum.

With me it is a bit different. I like what I like. And what I like is a storyline with a strong female character(s), preferably as the principle character. I like what I like and I seek what I like. I suppose it has something to do with the fact that most everyone likes to root for the underdog and a strong female character makes an excellent underdog and a bit of visual eyecandy to boot.

No doubt Abigail, Michelle, Truman and others can make a real play for things. But Honor's shoes are irreplaceable in my book.

Hence, part and parcel of my total desperation and selflessness in creating a thread and offering up as a sacrifice—thousands of others to save one Salamander. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8368

The needs of the one can outweigh the needs of the few or the many. —Star Trek III

Last edited by cthia on Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:44 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Besides, it would be just plain wrong. So doggone wrong on so many levels for Honor to have survived so many battles and so many skirmishes and so many wars and death rides against a truly worthy adversary like the new Republic and to also survive the many back stabbing plans to take her out made by the many unworthy adversaries, for her to fall at the hands of the MAlign kind or gasp laughable League.

That would prove to be such a pitchfork and unpoetic death for Honor; in my book, not far removed from the undignified demise Ransom had in store for her.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Sharp Claw   » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:56 pm

Sharp Claw
Lieutenant Commander

WeirdlyWired wrote:
Sharp Claw wrote:
If there is a battle between the Detweilers or any spider drive ships and GA ships, the outcome will depend on the GA's ability to detect the spider drive. Forraker, Hempill and Simoes have more than enough brainpower to develop a spider drive detector.

I hope there are representatives from Grayson too. Which I feel fairly confident there were even on Weyland. The Graysons have demonstrated extreme talent in thinking outside the box. Including being given a dead end path to the development of inertial compensators yet managing to make them not only work but be adapted by SKM.

Perhaps a sensor that is better at detecting small variations in the NS/HS interface or the GA could just use a brute force approach and saturate the location of any sensor ghost with enough drones to make a visual observation.

Which is the only way MAN ships can detect it even knowing where to look for them. And also, apparently the hoped for and assumed (by GA) operating principle for detection by the Mycroft system.

The only way they can be detected now. But the spider drive does have a HS interface, far less massive than a wedge but a cluster of small point sources that should be detectable with the right sensors.
Post by robert132   » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:24 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:

Hah! I had the same reaction to Adam Bolitho - a nice enough fellow, but not one who kept my interest - and thought it was just me. But at least in my past, Bolitho, Ramage, Drinkwater and a couple of others. I've read a lot in my time.

I concur in all things Honoriffic.

The thing is, how can it still be considered the Honorverse without its namesake? I doubt that the story has enough impetus to survive killing off Honor if it wants to retain me as a reader. If RFC had stayed his course and killed off Honor as originally planned, I'd have long since abandoned the series and wouldn't even be a part of the forum.

With me it is a bit different. I like what I like. And what I like is a storyline with a strong female character(s), preferably as the principle character. I like what I like and I seek what I like. I suppose it has something to do with the fact that most everyone likes to root for the underdog and a strong female character makes an excellent underdog and a bit of visual eyecandy to boot.

No doubt Abigail, Michelle, Truman and others can make a real play for things. But Honor's shoes are irreplaceable in my book.

Hence, part and parcel of my total desperation and selflessness in creating a thread and offering up as a sacrifice—thousands of others to save one Salamander. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8368

The needs of the one can outweigh the needs of the few or the many. —Star Trek III

.[/quote]
Yeah, I'm also hoping Himself lets Honor slide into an "easy" retirement to her Steading, perhaps after letting her and the many excellent officers she's helped train over the years drop some really, REALLY big hammers on the slugs that make up the MAlignment.

That would make an excellent read IMHO.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.

Return to Honorverse