Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 153 guests

Hope & Aspirations for the Finale

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Hope & Aspirations for the Finale
Post by Sharidann   » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:56 am

Sharidann
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

JohnRoth wrote:I expect Darius to lay completely low, and if none of the Detweillers survived, then who is going to be speaking for Boskone? How would anyone know?

Hi, I am Helmut Detweiler :mrgreen:
Post by isaac_newton   » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:34 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Sharidann wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:I expect Darius to lay completely low, and if none of the Detweillers survived, then who is going to be speaking for Boskone? How would anyone know?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Post by jchilds   » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:30 am

jchilds
Captain of the List

Sharidann wrote:

Nah, he needs to die, too, so we can get to "Hello, my name is Inigo Detweiler..." :P
Post by RedBaron   » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:22 am

RedBaron

Sharidann wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:Hi, I am Helmut Detweiler :mrgreen:

Nah, he needs to die, too, so we can get to "Hello, my name is Inigo Detweiler..." :P

Sorry, but you can't have an Inigo without a FEZZIK! :P
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:27 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

George J. Smith wrote: Added to this is the textev that the LDs are still a couple of years from being completed and then there would be the work up time required beyond that, so I think the time period that will be covered in the final(?) book will not reach that far into the future of the current arc.

In other words dealing with the MA will be down to Honor's children as rfc originally envisaged before a spanner was thrown into the works by the appearance of Victor Cachat.

The Only Military advantage the Lenny Dets have is their spider drive. Textev has it that the Technodyne second flight missiles being distributed to BF are almost as good as the MA missiles.

Solving that MUST be the GAs top priority. Second would be finding their Bolthole equivalent.

Guess I'd best slip off to the library for some serious podcast listening, because what I've read on these topics, that massive attack has been on again off again as RFC meanders through his musings. SoV ends October 1922 PD, 2 months beyond expected 100% deployment of Mycroft in the Sigma Draconis system. Be one heck of an invasion force to get through that and cause "oops" on Beowulf.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by biochem   » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:20 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Don't forget he's already changed the series plan once when the Manpower storyline got moved up. Originally, it was Honor's kids who were suppose to fight manpower and not Honor. So if he changed the arc of the series once, he can do it again. :twisted:
Post by SharkHunter   » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:11 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

I only have one to add, plus a bonus plan item.

Within the construct of the thread, my satisfaction level isn't satisfied unless Torch's survival is assured and OFS is down in flames. Which -- as far as I can tell -- means that Mannerheim is off the board as an extended Space Navy and both ends of that wormhole WELL defended. Keep in mind that Manticore defends BOTH ends of their wormhole junctions, it would be goofy to think that the local RMN resource in Torch will accept anything less.

I'd love to see a specific GA / SLN / MAlign battle sequence take place in Sol Space and would even write the book if I knew who to poke [and how hard!!] to have them let me play. With ADMIRAL Tremaine in charge, of course.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by cthia   » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:18 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:I only have one to add, plus a bonus plan item.

Within the construct of the thread, my satisfaction level isn't satisfied unless Torch's survival is assured and OFS is down in flames. Which -- as far as I can tell -- means that Mannerheim is off the board as an extended Space Navy and both ends of that wormhole WELL defended. Keep in mind that Manticore defends BOTH ends of their wormhole junctions, it would be goofy to think that the local RMN resource in Torch will accept anything less.

I'd love to see a specific GA / SLN / MAlign battle sequence take place in Sol Space and would even write the book if I knew who to poke [and how hard!!] to have them let me play. With ADMIRAL Tremaine in charge, of course.

I didn't get the memo, is Torch's existence threatened?

I'd like to see a battle take place in Sol space as well. And even though we know how it will ultimately end, at least now the Solarian participants know what they are dealing with. I'd like to see their Terekov (close as reasonably possible) counterpart proceed as warranted from someone as astute as Terekov.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Louis R   » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:24 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Well, they do sit astride the MAN's secret invasion route into the Haven Sector. Which I would certainly regard as threatening.

OTOH, the Alignment isn't, AFAICT, casually wasteful of resources, so they may no longer intend to trash the system outright rather than reconquer it. I guess it depends on how they evaluate the risk to their forces of having people in-system who may be keeping a big-enough close eye on the terminus to do serious damage during transit. We currently have no idea how much attention is being paid to it, although sooner or later someone will get around to considering the implications of the existence of the Alignment for Harvest Joy's disappearance.

cthia wrote:I didn't get the memo, is Torch's existence threatened?

< snip >
Post by JohnRoth   » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:35 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

cthia wrote:I didn't get the memo, is Torch's existence threatened?

< snip >

Louis R wrote:Well, they do sit astride the MAN's secret invasion route into the Haven Sector. Which I would certainly regard as threatening.

OTOH, the Alignment isn't, AFAICT, casually wasteful of resources, so they may no longer intend to trash the system outright rather than reconquer it. I guess it depends on how they evaluate the risk to their forces of having people in-system who may be keeping a big-enough close eye on the terminus to do serious damage during transit. We currently have no idea how much attention is being paid to it, although sooner or later someone will get around to considering the implications of the existence of the Alignment for Harvest Joy's disappearance.

There are a couple of points here. First, they may no longer care about the "secret invasion route," given the way the situation has changed, what with the GA and everything else.

Second, they need to get rid of genetic slavery so people will forget it before they can move into their end game. Torch could be an asset in that endeavor.

Third, Torch is Eric Flint's baby. Since there are no more collaborations planned, I doubt if we're going to see anything significant about Torch in the last book.

I expect they're simply going to leave Torch alone for a while, and revisit what to do about it once Manpower and genetic slavery is a rapidly fading memory.

Return to Honorverse