Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ThinksMarkedly and 90 guests

SLN Scientist Class SDs.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: SLN Scientist Class SDs.
Post by kzt   » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:59 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:Nope. House of Lies is dealing with Haven and the Anderman Empire. Somebody else as well, I think, but I can't recall who, just that I KNOW it's not the Solarian League. That's for House of Shadows.

Confederacy?

And I still think "House of Cards" is the right name for the SL/MA book.
Post by lyonheart   » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:45 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi MaxxQ,

Thanks for the update.

I could wish that Bu9 had at least explained in foot notes why it made so many changes to the textev RMN specifications in House of Steele, but since there's less textev for the PRHN and the IAN, there's a lot less to worry about.

Of course by the time we get the SLN specs in a couple more years, the survivors will only be in museums! ;)

"Keep smiling'",

L

MaxxQ wrote:
lyonheart wrote:Isn't the House of Lies due out next spring, which includes detailing the PRHN and the SLN?

A little patience may pay off in a few month's.

Best wishes,

L

Nope. House of Lies is dealing with Haven and the Anderman Empire. Somebody else as well, I think, but I can't recall who, just that I KNOW it's not the Solarian League. That's for House of Shadows.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by MaxxQ   » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:12 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

lyonheart wrote:Hi MaxxQ,

Thanks for the update.

I could wish that Bu9 had at least explained in foot notes why it made so many changes to the textev RMN specifications in House of Steele, but since there's less textev for the PRHN and the IAN, there's a lot less to worry about.

Of course by the time we get the SLN specs in a couple more years, the survivors will only be in museums! ;)

"Keep smiling'",

L

Does it make that much of a difference? There's contradictions in textev from the first three books, and no one bats an eye at that, so why are any other changes more serious than those?

Most of the changes were made to better fall in line with what BuNine and David hashed out early on when we were just starting this stuff out. The numbers work better.

And now I'm out. I'm not in a good mood at the moment, and I don't want to say anything that might get me a warning.
Post by munroburton   » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:32 am

munroburton
Admiral

Thanks for the update.

"Keep smiling'",

L

Hang onto your hat, but there might be a second edition of Steel after everything else. And bear in mind, Steel's data and tech portions were presented to us as an in-universe assessment compiled by:

Annette Konduru, Senior Editor
Jayne’s Information Group
April 17, 1921 PD

Not by one of the RMN's Bureaus. ;)
Post by Fox2!   » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:02 am

Fox2!
Commodore

munroburton wrote:
Hang onto your hat, but there might be a second edition of Steel after everything else. And bear in mind, Steel's data and tech portions were presented to us as an in-universe assessment compiled by:

Annette Konduru, Senior Editor
Jayne’s Information Group
April 17, 1921 PD

Not by one of the RMN's Bureaus. ;)

IIRC, the Jayne's section opens with an apologia for having gotten the Star Knights so badly wrong for many years So a further apology for having gotten other information about RMN/GSN ships wrong might be expected.
Post by lyonheart   » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:00 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi MaxxQ,

IIRC, the main conflict in the early books was Apollo being 135,000 tons in THotQ [50% greater than the Grayson flagship] and the appendix in tSVW stating the latest CL was only 120,000 tons; what were some of the rest?

L

MaxxQ wrote:

Thanks for the update.

"Keep smiling'",

L

Does it make that much of a difference? There's contradictions in textev from the first three books, and no one bats an eye at that, so why are any other changes more serious than those?

Most of the changes were made to better fall in line with what BuNine and David hashed out early on when we were just starting this stuff out. The numbers work better.

And now I'm out. I'm not in a good mood at the moment, and I don't want to say anything that might get me a warning.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by HungryKing   » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:51 am

HungryKing
Captain (Junior Grade)

With regards to the SLN SDs, one problem that is occurring is that we are not getting details regarding all SLN SDs. Yes we know that it seems that most SLN SDs are not well equipped with control links, but that matchs their historical doctrine. Remember that the SLN held that the purpose of missiles was sidewall busting, particularly for capital ships and that the SLN was particularly slow to begin adapting to the laserhead, which means they would not have placed much emphasis on control links, and before someone talks about old parasite pods, remember that one thing the RMN did was increase the number of missiles per pod, and that no one really had very many tractor beams.
So, aside from their most recent design circa 1905 and older ones which have gone through a full modernization, most SLN SDs, are relatively light on the links, and all are sitting ducks anyway.

Return to Honorverse