Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 134 guests

SLN Scientist Class SDs.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
SLN Scientist Class SDs.
Post by WLBjork   » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:36 am

WLBjork
Commander

This ship class has been bugging me for some time. The verbal description doesn't seem to fit the size and armament levels assigned to it.

Firstly: Age.

The Scientist class is frequently described as being old enough that the earliest ships are fitted with auto-cannon rather than laser clusters. Obviously, this doesn't necessarily mean that the design pre-dates the PDLC, but knowing the date of the PDLC would help date the design.

In Fire Forged, "An Introduction to Modern Starship Armor Design" establishes the introduction of the Impellar Drive countermissile as 1701. A couple of paragrahphs later, the text states that the first PDLCs underwent widespread introduction 'some eighty years later'.

This gives a rough figure of between 1776 and 1786 for the introduction of the PDLC - or between 135 and 145 years prior to the "present day".

I'm going to argue in favour of the SLN being an early adopter of the PDLC system - firstly, it is only recently that the SLN has lost it's status as chief innovator and secondly simply considering the number of SDs that have been built or refitted with PDLCs. Presumably all active SDs of Battle Fleet are fitted with PDLCs, and approximately 1/3rd of the Reserve SDs have as well.
The Reserve consists of 5,000 SDs, so 1,500-1,750 have been refitted with PDLCs, and there are a further 2,000 SDs in active service. This indicates between 3,500 and 3,750 SDs are equipped with PDLCs.

3,500 SDs built or refitted over 145 years works out on average at just over 24 per year. More SDs or a shorter time scale will increase the build or refit rate, and RFC has stated that the SLN is relatively low on SD-sized "drydocks".

This strongly indicates that the Scientist class is a pre-1800 design.

Secondly: Armament

32 missile tubes, 24 lasers and 26 grasers is a very heavy offensive loadout, especially on a 6.8MT displacement. Even more considering the age and the fact that the SLN SDs are supposed to be "missile light".

Some displacement can be accounted for by reduced magazine capacity and the lack of active defences, yet I still think that this is heavy when the SLN SDs are supposed to be inefficiently designed with a lot of wasted space, especially when compared to the more modern King William SDs and Bellerophon DNs of the RMN.

Just as important though, IMO, is to look at the older Manticore and Samothrace class SDs of the RMN, both of which probably appeared either side of the Scientist class. Again, both RMN designs mount smaller weapons loadouts than the Scientists. Indeed, the Manticore is noted as being 'compared favorably to the most modern Solarian design of the day'. With the Manticore having only 22 tubes, this seems a major jump to the 32 tubes mounted on a Scientist.

Conclusion:

With a crew 20% larger than a King William class, on a lower displacement hull, and with a heavier armament, the Scientist class has to have compromised elsewhere. Weaker sidewall generators, thinner armour and lower structural integrity all come to mind. In an age where missile threats weren't that great, the ECM suites are probably lacking in capability as well.
Re: SLN Scientist Class SDs.
Post by munroburton   » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:56 pm

munroburton
Admiral

WLBjork wrote:I'm going to argue in favour of the SLN being an early adopter of the PDLC system - firstly, it is only recently that the SLN has lost it's status as chief innovator and secondly simply considering the number of SDs that have been built or refitted with PDLCs. Presumably all active SDs of Battle Fleet are fitted with PDLCs, and approximately 1/3rd of the Reserve SDs have as well.
The Reserve consists of 5,000 SDs, so 1,500-1,750 have been refitted with PDLCs, and there are a further 2,000 SDs in active service. This indicates between 3,500 and 3,750 SDs are equipped with PDLCs.

In MoH, Caparelli briefs the Queen on the state of the Solarian Navy based on captured data from New Tuscany.

"at least two thirds of their reserve fleet's still equipped with autocannon point defense, not lasers."

The Reserve also contains 8,000 wallers. There's a Pearl which suggests some of those might be DNs, but those would be the very oldest of the Reserve. Certainly part of the autocannon brigade, in other words.

I would say one aspect you've overlooked in this otherwise interesting piece of analysis is endurance - how long the ship can carry out sustained operations without resupply. We were never told how much of a fleet train Crandall needed for her task force, nor the one Filareta needed.

And there's also the sizing of individual weapons to be considered - we don't know how big those grasers and lasers are in comparision to the Haven Sector's. I'm pretty sure they're smaller calibers, in the two to four metre ranges. For comparision, an older BC's graser is roughly 150cm... and an Invictus has ~650cm chase grasers.

I've made a couple of guesses that the first Scientist was built sometime between 1750 and 1825, with the Vega coming between 75-100 years after that. It can't really be refined any better than that until we get the Companion with the League's ship classes.

By the way, the RMN didn't refit their Ad Astra DNs with PDLCs until 1878. I would argue that the SLN did not adapt PDLC much earlier than this.

Missiles weren't that dangerous until the laser-head started increasing the stand-off range. The bomb-pumped laser warhead wasn't around until 1800 and it didn't become effective against larger warships until 1860.

I also have the suspicion that before 1850, autocannon were far more effective against the crappier missiles of those days than the earliest PDLCs were. Anyone with eyes can see that most movie laser rifles are nowhere near as good at mowing down a massed charge as a proven machine gun would be.
Post by lyonheart   » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:49 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi WLBjork,

Congratulations on some interesting analysis, but I have to go with Munroburton here on a couple of points.

Given the textev that BF had almost 11,000 SD's when Byng was blown away, 2000 active with 300+ refitting, the BF reserve may have reached 8600 before many were activated to replace those dispatched to Filaretta.

Until the PDLC had demonstrated its superiority in combat ie post 1860 PD, its very unlikely that the SLN would have adopted some unproven technology, just because it was new; so allow some time for the IAN and others [not the RMN or PRHN-too much of a red flag] to validate it, ie suffer very little damage when autocannon would have stopped far fewer missiles on more than one occasion before the SLN even considers replacing its tried and true, much tested autocannon.

The number of SLN SD's converted annually and for how long has been discussed here a few times, but since RFC has been evolving his creation since his early posts [now the pearls] over ~25 years, some of the early posts that suggested the SLN had severe budget problems that sometimes prevented any new construction to a more consistent annual new construction budget, some estimates have put the number of SD's usually completed every year (in recent decades at least) in the 37-55 range, allowing for the 15+% margin that's usually refitting on average.

If the SLN has been replacing autocannon for around 40 years, besides adding the third of new construction, some 50 per year were being modified, a reasonable number along with the active fleet refits, implying around 400 building and/or refit/repair slips.

Remember too how little we have to go on, there's no textev, but it's implied that the follow on Vega's are not the current or most recent SD class being mentioned in the past tense, so its possible there's a couple more unnamed classes, that the latest may lean towards a more modular design, like the Nevada BC's, which we don't know when they were introduced either.

Isn't the House of Lies due out next spring, which includes detailing the PRHN and the SLN?

A little patience may pay off in a few month's.

Best wishes,

L

munroburton wrote:
WLBjork wrote:I'm going to argue in favour of the SLN being an early adopter of the PDLC system - firstly, it is only recently that the SLN has lost it's status as chief innovator and secondly simply considering the number of SDs that have been built or refitted with PDLCs. Presumably all active SDs of Battle Fleet are fitted with PDLCs, and approximately 1/3rd of the Reserve SDs have as well.

In MoH, Caparelli briefs the Queen on the state of the Solarian Navy based on captured data from New Tuscany.

"at least two thirds of their reserve fleet's still equipped with autocannon point defense, not lasers."

The Reserve also contains 8,000 wallers. There's a Pearl which suggests some of those might be DNs, but those would be the very oldest of the Reserve. Certainly part of the autocannon brigade, in other words.

I would say one aspect you've overlooked in this otherwise interesting piece of analysis is endurance - how long the ship can carry out sustained operations without resupply. We were never told how much of a fleet train Crandall needed for her task force, nor the one Filareta needed.

And there's also the sizing of individual weapons to be considered - we don't know how big those grasers and lasers are in comparision to the Haven Sector's. I'm pretty sure they're smaller calibers, in the two to four metre ranges. For comparision, an older BC's graser is roughly 150cm... and an Invictus has ~650cm chase grasers.

I've made a couple of guesses that the first Scientist was built sometime between 1750 and 1825, with the Vega coming between 75-100 years after that. It can't really be refined any better than that until we get the Companion with the League's ship classes.

By the way, the RMN didn't refit their Ad Astra DNs with PDLCs until 1878. I would argue that the SLN did not adapt PDLC much earlier than this.

Missiles weren't that dangerous until the laser-head started increasing the stand-off range. The bomb-pumped laser warhead wasn't around until 1800 and it didn't become effective against larger warships until 1860.

I also have the suspicion that before 1850, autocannon were far more effective against the crappier missiles of those days than the earliest PDLCs were. Anyone with eyes can see that most movie laser rifles are nowhere near as good at mowing down a massed charge as a proven machine gun would be.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by munroburton   » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:33 am

munroburton
Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Remember too how little we have to go on, there's no textev, but it's implied that the follow on Vega's are not the current or most recent SD class being mentioned in the past tense, so its possible there's a couple more unnamed classes, that the latest may lean towards a more modular design, like the Nevada BC's, which we don't know when they were introduced either.

Hmm... can you point me to where you got those implications? I always thought the Vega was the SLN's latest waller. The Fleet 2000 programme seems to support that, being mostly a redecoration of bridge decks. Also the apparent scarcity of Vegas compared with Scientists.

I suppose it's not that important - even if the SLN was building a Gryphon equivalent, they would still be useless.
Post by WLBjork   » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:42 pm

WLBjork
Commander

munroburton wrote:

That will teach me to double check numbers rather than relying entirely on memory.

Likewise, the reduced endurance and smaller weapons had been in some of my earlier thoughts, then forgotten about when I made the post (notes make things so much easier to remember :oops: ).

I was inclined to argue for the SLN SDs to have smaller calibre energy weapons on the grounds that they are most likely to engage smaller warships, rather than their equals. In the event of facing their equals, the SLN could make up the difference with sheer volume of fire.

The Laserhead certainly won't be the driver in adoption of the PDLC, mainly as it only appeared as a viable weapon from 1866 (and wasn't concieved until 1827, with the tests taking place in 1833). Again, IFF indicates that the PDLC was in general service prior to 1800 with the statement 'The point defence laser cluster created the final of light speed defense that resulted in the now familiar geometrically increased chance of the missile being destroyed in the last 50,000 to 60,000 km of its run. Hits against intact defenses became rare'.

The other way to look at this is effective range - you need a high muzzle velocity in order to kill a sidewall contacting nuke (remembering sidewalls are about 10km out). Granted, the gravitational railguns of the Honorverse can manage some high velocities, but even if they can get a muzzle velocity of 10kps (Jayne's gives the M32A1 Pulse Rifle a muzzle velocity of 2.2kps) it would still take over one second to reach this range, meaning the target missile can move - in turn using up more ammunition to cover possible angle changes of the attacking missile.
For further consideration, stand off 'sidewall burning' nukes were already in existence, which would probably be effectively immune to a PDAC. Certainly the standard RMN missile of 1826, with it's 8,000km+ stand off range would be, as the PDAC shots would have to be fired before the missile in order to hit it!

lyonheart wrote:Hi WLBjork,

Congratulations on some interesting analysis, but I have to go with Munroburton here on a couple of points.

Given the textev that BF had almost 11,000 SD's when Byng was blown away, 2000 active with 300+ refitting, the BF reserve may have reached 8600 before many were activated to replace those dispatched to Filaretta.

Until the PDLC had demonstrated its superiority in combat ie post 1860 PD, its very unlikely that the SLN would have adopted some unproven technology, just because it was new; so allow some time for the IAN and others [not the RMN or PRHN-too much of a red flag] to validate it, ie suffer very little damage when autocannon would have stopped far fewer missiles on more than one occasion before the SLN even considers replacing its tried and true, much tested autocannon.

The number of SLN SD's converted annually and for how long has been discussed here a few times, but since RFC has been evolving his creation since his early posts [now the pearls] over ~25 years, some of the early posts that suggested the SLN had severe budget problems that sometimes prevented any new construction to a more consistent annual new construction budget, some estimates have put the number of SD's usually completed every year (in recent decades at least) in the 37-55 range, allowing for the 15+% margin that's usually refitting on average.

If the SLN has been replacing autocannon for around 40 years, besides adding the third of new construction, some 50 per year were being modified, a reasonable number along with the active fleet refits, implying around 400 building and/or refit/repair slips.

Remember too how little we have to go on, there's no textev, but it's implied that the follow on Vega's are not the current or most recent SD class being mentioned in the past tense, so its possible there's a couple more unnamed classes, that the latest may lean towards a more modular design, like the Nevada BC's, which we don't know when they were introduced either.

Isn't the House of Lies due out next spring, which includes detailing the PRHN and the SLN?

Best wishes,

L

It may indeed.

However, I think that any more modern SD designs (after the Vega - which is really a Flight II Scientist) from the SLN would be a surprise. They will be desgined to be in production for 50+ years. Manticore has a good reasoin to have so many classes prewar - they were refining their designs in light of combat experience, something which the SLN is not doing.

As you say, it's difficult whemn there's no hard evidence (which to be fair, allows RFC the luxury of changing numbers when the forumites comes up with an awkward point :D )

As I recall the hardest number we have is that there are about a dozen systems capable of building/refitting SDs.

How many slips, we don't know, but when building a new SD they will be tied up well in excess of 3 years (the first Victory class were commisioned in 1892, the first of the following Sphinx class commisioned in 1895, and the first Sphinx was laid down beore the first Victory commisioned - and this was whilst the build rates were accelerating). Not that that information helps that much!
Post by kzt   » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:17 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I don't think we were told how many systems were capable of building SDs, or even what systems actually built SDs. We were given a figure for how many places built SDs for Battle Fleet. David has left things kind of vague.
Post by Castenea   » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:10 pm

Castenea
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:I don't think we were told how many systems were capable of building SDs, or even what systems actually built SDs. We were given a figure for how many places built SDs for Battle Fleet. David has left things kind of vague.

Just an illustration, we have no hard figures on any aspect of the BSDF wallers, although the assumption on the forum is that they are modified Scientists. We also have text ev that Erewhon used to buy its wallers from the league, but changed during the lead up to the first war to buying from Manticore. Apparently they were not buying Scientist SDs.
Post by SYED   » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:19 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

Since these ships are not battle ready and out dated, would they consider selling them on. The money they could make would help deal with the economic issues and help pay for the alterations to the league navy. Sort of like how ships were sold to Monica, but would be a big investment for those worlds. They could sell them to member System defence forces, and allies beyond heir space.
Post by Torlek   » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:08 pm

Torlek
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

SYED wrote:Since these ships are not battle ready and out dated, would they consider selling them on. The money they could make would help deal with the economic issues and help pay for the alterations to the league navy. Sort of like how ships were sold to Monica, but would be a big investment for those worlds. They could sell them to member System defence forces, and allies beyond heir space.

Since these ships ar not battle ready and out dated, who would consider buying them?
Post by MaxxQ   » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:47 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

lyonheart wrote:Isn't the House of Lies due out next spring, which includes detailing the PRHN and the SLN?

Best wishes,

L

Nope. House of Lies is dealing with Haven and the Anderman Empire. Somebody else as well, I think, but I can't recall who, just that I KNOW it's not the Solarian League. That's for House of Shadows.

Return to Honorverse