Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ThinksMarkedly and 92 guests

So now that we are through the manditory filler books.....

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
So now that we are through the manditory filler books.....
Post by abrax894   » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:06 am

abrax894
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

You know, I understand the reasoning behind filler chapters and, in some cases, books. But we have now reached TWO filler books that do not progress the main story at all. Now, I'm used to RFC's proclivity for exposition. I know that at some point later in the book, I'm going to say 'OOOOH, THAT's why he gave me that info', but 2 books worth of exposition and filler is a bit much even for him. Where do we stand on another mainline story book?
Re: So now that we are through the manditory filler books...
Post by munroburton   » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:17 am

munroburton
Admiral

It's a bit harsh to say there has been no progress made in the last couple of books. Just because we haven't seen Honor the Warlord rampaging through the SLN Home Fleet and nuking Old Earth into a glass ball...

The next book will be the last mainline novel, ending the current series. There will be a few more books, but all will be companions, anthologies or spin-offs such as the Star Kingdom and Manticore Ascendant.

The plan before AAC was to end the series there and start a new one set about 20 years later. There are two general possibilities for the final book. The first is, Darius is discovered and the Alignment destroyed. Everyone lives happily evermore. The second is, Darius remains concealed or some element of the Alignment survives to continue its grand plan. Honor's children has to finish cleaning up that mess.
Post by abrax894   » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:33 am

abrax894
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

munroburton wrote:It's a bit harsh to say there has been no progress made in the last couple of books. Just because we haven't seen Honor the Warlord rampaging through the SLN Home Fleet and nuking Old Earth into a glass ball....

To say there was progress made in the last 2 books is like saying you've made progress traversing the galaxy because you've made it from Earth out past the orbit of Pluto...... at sub-light speeds

munroburton wrote:The next book will be the last mainline novel, ending the current series. There will be a few more books, but all will be companions, anthologies or spin-offs such as the Star Kingdom and Manticore Ascendant.

The plan before AAC was to end the series there and start a new one set about 20 years later. There are two general possibilities for the final book. The first is, Darius is discovered and the Alignment destroyed. Everyone lives happily evermore. The second is, Darius remains concealed or some element of the Alignment survives to continue its grand plan. Honor's children has to finish cleaning up that mess.

Oh, I've tracked things that far, but I hadn't heard anything past that. Considering this last book, I would have thought we would have had a date of release for the next and some content. To be honest, I'm truly scratching my head as to why this book was written at all. I mean, I'll probably get it eventually, maybe whenever the final book is released, but it still seems like something that could have been written afterward to fill in any blanks left over. I can't think of a good reason to have prioritized the writing of this book vs a mainline story.
Post by munroburton   » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:59 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Sorry, forgot to mention we do know the final book is planned for 2018 - the 25th anniversary of On Basilisk Station.
Post by SYED   » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:59 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

Even if Darius is discovered, the alignment has enough power and influence on their worlds and in the league, to continue a long term Cold War. It's just that their ability to hide themselves in shadows will be greatly reduced, as their existence will be known and accepted. The league might not have believed before, but an unknown terminii with a hidden human colony shows someone was being naughty.
Post by Daryl   » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:59 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Somewhat like when ISIS is geographically destroyed in OTL, but continues sponsoring and inspiring lone wolf attacks.
SYED wrote:Even if Darius is discovered, the alignment has enough power and influence on their worlds and in the league, to continue a long term Cold War. It's just that their ability to hide themselves in shadows will be greatly reduced, as their existence will be known and accepted. The league might not have believed before, but an unknown terminii with a hidden human colony shows someone was being naughty.
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:48 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

abrax894 wrote:You know, I understand the reasoning behind filler chapters and, in some cases, books. But we have now reached TWO filler books that do not progress the main story at all. Now, I'm used to RFC's proclivity for exposition. I know that at some point later in the book, I'm going to say 'OOOOH, THAT's why he gave me that info', but 2 books worth of exposition and filler is a bit much even for him. Where do we stand on another mainline story book?

Again, please overlook my denseness. Especially now during the holidays when I'm on vacation and my brain is telling me NO WAY BUCKO - I'M ON VACATION TOO! But would someone tell me what the other book is suppose to be that is considered filler?

Being filler and failing to advance the timeline represents two horses of different colors and breed. I, personally, can handle as much of Honor rampaging and pillaging amongst enemy formations as RFC can deliver w/o a meltdown and be as content as a treecat sleeping in a treehouse made of celery. I've enjoyed every one of RFCs Honorverse books.

Still haven't read SOV. Saving it for a special uninterrupted session by the fireplace popping boiled peanuts or something.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Vince   » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:04 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:
abrax894 wrote:You know, I understand the reasoning behind filler chapters and, in some cases, books. But we have now reached TWO filler books that do not progress the main story at all. Now, I'm used to RFC's proclivity for exposition. I know that at some point later in the book, I'm going to say 'OOOOH, THAT's why he gave me that info', but 2 books worth of exposition and filler is a bit much even for him. Where do we stand on another mainline story book?

Again, please overlook my denseness. Especially now during the holidays when I'm on vacation and my brain is telling me NO WAY BUCKO - I'M ON VACATION TOO! But would someone tell me what the other book is suppose to be that is considered filler?

Being filler and failing to advance the timeline represents two horses of different colors and breed. I, personally, can handle as much of Honor rampaging and pillaging amongst enemy formations as RFC can deliver w/o a meltdown and be as content as a treecat sleeping in a treehouse made of celery. I've enjoyed every one of RFCs Honorverse books.

Still haven't read SOV. Saving it for a special uninterrupted session by the fireplace popping boiled peanuts or something.

Don't forget to read the other Honorverse books (in publication order) you haven't read before diving into SoV. Otherwise, you might possibly run into the same problem you experienced when you read CoG before ToF.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by SYED   » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:23 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

The wall will be over when the members of the league follow Beowulf league actions of leaving the league en mass. This will be followed by those with proper fleet carrying out strikes against league naval assets. They would be a navy with out a nation, so they would be scrabbling for power and position. If they are too occupied with league internal issues, then they won't be as such a threat. As the verge will fall into conflict and power grabs.
Post by WLBjork   » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:10 am

WLBjork
Commander

munroburton wrote:It's a bit harsh to say there has been no progress made in the last couple of books. Just because we haven't seen Honor the Warlord rampaging through the SLN Home Fleet and nuking Old Earth into a glass ball...

The next book will be the last mainline novel, ending the current series. There will be a few more books, but all will be companions, anthologies or spin-offs such as the Star Kingdom and Manticore Ascendant.

There are others.

My choice would be for the Solarian League to have collapsed, and Prometheus to be launched, but without the Alignment being completely exposed.

RFC has previously stated that this would be a difficult time for the SEM. As the SLN poses about as much challenge as a duckling to a pond of near-pike...

Return to Honorverse