Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 42 guests

So now that we are through the manditory filler books.....

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: So now that we are through the manditory filler books...
Post by kzt   » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:32 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
kzt wrote:Wrong war. And it didn't get covered because it was a disaster and Honor wasn't involved.

If it wasn't covered, how is it you know about it?

David discussed it in a pearl. And it was mentioned in one of the short stories how some Peep got a nice position by crushing a major RMN BC raid using his BB section iirc.
Post by munroburton   » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:09 am

munroburton
Admiral

kzt wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:If it wasn't covered, how is it you know about it?

David discussed it in a pearl. And it was mentioned in one of the short stories how some Peep got a nice position by crushing a major RMN BC raid using his BB section iirc.

Echoes of Honor actually, I think. The Peep BB in question went on to become the flagship of the Hancock attack force that got surprised by LACs for the first time ever.

Basically, the BB had laid doggo and then went "boo!" to three RMN BCs raiding the system. Only one of those got away and it was damaged enough to be heading for a yard.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:54 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

munroburton wrote:
kzt wrote:David discussed it in a pearl. And it was mentioned in one of the short stories how some Peep got a nice position by crushing a major RMN BC raid using his BB section iirc.

Echoes of Honor actually, I think. The Peep BB in question went on to become the flagship of the Hancock attack force that got surprised by LACs for the first time ever.

Basically, the BB had laid doggo and then went "boo!" to three RMN BCs raiding the system. Only one of those got away and it was damaged enough to be heading for a yard.

Actually I belive the story was Fanatic in one of the anthologies.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by munroburton   » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:31 am

munroburton
Admiral

Aye, Fanatic did have a few BBs and a StateSec SD nail a Manty BC somewhere too. But the reference I was thinking of from EoH is:

It especially didn't hold true when the battleship's captain had the nerve to take her own impellers off-line and just sit there like a hole in space until the Manties were actually in extreme missile range. Hall had that kind of nerve, and less than a month after Citizen Rear Admiral Tourville blew out the Adler system picket, she had neatly ambushed a trio of raiding Manty battlecruisers. They hadn't had the remotest suspicion she was even there until they'd built vectors which have them no choice, even with their superior acceleration rates, but to come into her engagement range.
RMN battlecruisers were tough customers, especially given the superiority of the Star Kingdom's EW and missiles. Many Republican officers would have hestitated to engage three of them at once, even if she did out-mass them by almost two-to-one. That, in fact, had been Citizen Commander Young's earnest recommendation. Hall hadn't taken it, however... and she'd blown two of her enemies right out of space. The third had gotten away, but with enough damage to keep her out of action for months, whereas Schaumberg's repairs had required only five weeks of yard time.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:23 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Right. So we have several textev instances of Manty commerce raiding.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:25 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:Right. So we have several textev instances of Manty commerce raiding.

We have textev that the RMN conducted raids, but do we have any evidence of commerce raids?

I don't recall any textev that the RMN targeted civilian shipping rather than military targets and infrastructure.

I suppose we need to define "Commerce Raiding" because I haven't seen any other than Giscard's expedition to the Selkar Rift and Silesia for the express purpose of killing or capturing Manticoran civilian shipping.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Honorverse