Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 98 guests

"At All Costs", page 85

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: "At All Costs", page 85
Post by MuonNeutrino   » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:27 am

MuonNeutrino
Commander

munroburton wrote:And since I'm in a bad mood ... If that spoilt something for you, good. Now go finish the book.

That was completely uncalled for. Whether this thread is a silly over-worry about spoilers or not, there is no excuse for deliberately trying to spoil a plot point for a specific reader that you know hasn't finished the book yet. We are all readers here, we know how bad it feels to get spoiled on important elements of books we care about. Nothing he did warrants that, and you should be ashamed of yourself.
Re: "At All Costs", page 58
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:38 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

The E wrote:
RedBaron wrote::oops: OOPS! :oops:

Roflmao! meant page 85, not 58.

But hey, really messed with your mind, didn't it? :lol:

It would still be helpful to know which edition you're referring to.

It looks like the paperback (at least the October 2007 printing); the breakfast scene is on page 83 of the 1st edition hardcover (the one with the baby on the cover).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Relax   » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:40 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

RedBaron wrote:I only started in on the series about a year ago, so 11 years old or not it's still very possible that there are people on this forum who HAVEN'T gotten that far.... and could be irritated by YOUR letting out some of what happens in later books, Munroburton. :|

Must be a millennial snowflake who has been told his entire life going through the school system, his feelings matter and not the facts.

Quick fact bro: Facts don't care about your feelings buddy.

And if feelings do matter, and facts don't, then mine matter too. Which means my feeling(without more than one fact) is that you are an idiot and therefore for my feelings to be relevant, I conclude, I don't give a damn about your feelings. Only mine matter.... :roll:

Don't want spoilers, don't read a forum when you KNOW the BOOK was WRITTEN 10 YEARS AGO! Damn that is old enough to be in HISTORY BOOKS if we were talking politics...
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Theemile   » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:53 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Relax wrote:
RedBaron wrote:I only started in on the series about a year ago, so 11 years old or not it's still very possible that there are people on this forum who HAVEN'T gotten that far.... and could be irritated by YOUR letting out some of what happens in later books, Munroburton. :|

Must be a millennial snowflake who has been told his entire life going through the school system, his feelings matter and not the facts.

And if feelings do matter, and facts don't, then mine matter too. Which means my feeling(without more than one fact) is that you are an idiot and therefore for my feelings to be relevant, I conclude, I don't give a damn about your feelings. Only mine matter.... :roll:

Don't want spoilers, don't read a forum when you KNOW the BOOK was WRITTEN 10 YEARS AGO! Damn that is old enough to be in HISTORY BOOKS if we were talking politics...

Hey Relax, keep it convival and cordial.

I agree, if you are on a site discussing a book series, there should be zero expectation you should not run into spoilers for older books in a series. You may as well walk into a Catholic curch and expect no conversation about Jesus and monotheism, and complain when there is.

However, there is no need to get insulting. All that does is polarize the audience and keep them from receiving the message. I too am tired of the Millenial "coddling" society has been doing lately, but insulting someone doesn't accomplish anything.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by RedBaron   » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:46 am

RedBaron

Relax wrote:

Boy, there sure are a lot of ASSHOLES on this forum...

But I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since that seems to be the american way these days.
Post by MaxxQ   » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:38 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

RedBaron wrote:
Relax wrote:Must be a millennial snowflake who has been told his entire life going through the school system, his feelings matter and not the facts.

Boy, there sure are a lot of ASSHOLES on this forum...

But I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since that seems to be the american way these days.

And so, rather than taking the high road and simply hitting the "report this post" button under the post, you decide to do the exact same thing he did.

Classy. :roll:
Post by RedBaron   » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:53 am

RedBaron

Well, that's better than what would have happened to them in real life - they would've gotten backhanded for their snotty attitude, instead of just being called out.

And no, unlike most others, I DO NOT believe in allowing such people to do what they do unchallenged. I've found that to do otherwise is only to encourage them to keep doing it.

Besides MaxxQ, how do either you or I know that they're not friends of any of the admins on this forum, and any reports against them won't just be ignored? Take a look at the veehd forum - it's a perfect example of selective enforcement/favoritism.... and makes me wish I knew how to hack, lol.
Post by MaxxQ   » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:55 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

RedBaron wrote:Besides MaxxQ, how do either you or I know that they're not friends of any of the admins on this forum, and any reports against them won't just be ignored? Take a look at the veehd forum - it's a perfect example of selective enforcement/favoritism.... and makes me wish I knew how to hack, lol.

1. Duckk has warned Relax before about his attitude and name-calling. Publicly, on the forum. He may well have sent a few PMs to him as well.

2. I know Duckk personally, although admittedly not as well as I'd like, since I've only met him a couple times (we both last saw each other in July at the BuNine Annual Meeting). He won't show favoritism.

3. Not completely relevant, but I work for the former admin for this board (who handed the reins over to Duckk), and I KNOW she wouldn't show any favoritism, which tells me she wouldn't pick someone to replace her if she thought THEY would.

4. If Duckk hasn't said anything to Relax about this latest, then I figure he's either too busy IRL to have checked the forums recently, he hasn't seen any reports about the post, or he just hasn't seen it due to the number of posts generated each day here (AFAIK, Duckk is the ONLY admin/moderator here).

The choice to report is up to you, since you're the "victim" here, although with your response above (basically insulting an entire country), I have little sympathy. Others can report as well, obviously, but you shouldn't expect them to do what you might want to consider doing yourself.
Post by Duckk   » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:14 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

Sigh, and I was having such a nice (well, as nice as sudden Ohio winters can be) vacation. Topic over.

Relax, this is literally your last chance. I have said it to you before: I don't care about disagreements, but insulting other posters is not allowed here. I really don't like banning people, but if it prevents this board from having meaningful discourse, I will do it.

Red Baron, I appreciate that there was provocation, but please don't go around insulting other posters as well. Not a warning, just a reminder.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope

Return to Honorverse