Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JacekC and 140 guests

SLN Logistics

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: SLN Logistics
Post by Sigs   » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:55 pm

Sigs
Rear Admiral

SYED wrote:Would the admiral have a discretionary fund? Money to pay expenses for operating in the field. If he can find ways to save money, he might find a way to slip the extra in his pocket. So repairing or restoring supplies would eat into this.

Yeah, true. But by the Second Battle of Manticore, the Admiral in charge would be more than likely be thinking of what happened with Crandal and Byng rather than trying to make a couple of bucks.
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:59 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Sigs wrote:
SYED wrote:Would the admiral have a discretionary fund? Money to pay expenses for operating in the field. If he can find ways to save money, he might find a way to slip the extra in his pocket. So repairing or restoring supplies would eat into this.

Yeah, true. But by the Second Battle of Manticore, the Admiral in charge would be more than likely be thinking of what happened with Crandal and Byng rather than trying to make a couple of bucks.

Oh Ye of little knowledge of graft and corruption. Any Admiral has the full faith and credit of the SLN behind him. He pulls into the nearest star system, hopefully an OFS client, refits, has the chandlers pad the bill and they split it. big issue would be Spatha capital ship missiles, since FF would only carry trebuchets.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:03 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

And everyone claimed Crandall was the dimmest bulb on the Christmas tree after the demise of Byng. RMN dropped their supply train and LAC carriers in system but kept them back beyond the hyper limit until needed. At least Terekov did at Monica.
Post by Sigs   » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:09 pm

Sigs
Rear Admiral

WeirdlyWired wrote:
Sigs wrote:

Oh Ye of little knowledge of graft and corruption. Any Admiral has the full faith and credit of the SLN behind him. He pulls into the nearest star system, hopefully an OFS client, refits, has the chandlers pad the bill and they split it. big issue would be Spatha capital ship missiles, since FF would only carry trebuchets.

Can't spend the money if you are dead. Filareta realized that he was facing a potential disaster in Manticore, I think making a profit was the last thing on his mind at the time.
Post by Sigs   » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:11 pm

Sigs
Rear Admiral

WeirdlyWired wrote:And everyone claimed Crandall was the dimmest bulb on the Christmas tree after the demise of Byng. RMN dropped their supply train and LAC carriers in system but kept them back beyond the hyper limit until needed. At least Terekov did at Monica.

He did that because he needed the pods quickly. I doubt he would have brought his freighter in otherwise since he knew he was facing at least 11 BCs in various stages of completion.
Post by Castenea   » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:32 pm

Castenea
Captain of the List

Sigs wrote:
WeirdlyWired wrote:And everyone claimed Crandall was the dimmest bulb on the Christmas tree after the demise of Byng. RMN dropped their supply train and LAC carriers in system but kept them back beyond the hyper limit until needed. At least Terekov did at Monica.

He did that because he needed the pods quickly. I doubt he would have brought his freighter in otherwise since he knew he was facing at least 11 BCs in various stages of completion.

Hope this is not too much of a spoiler (Duckk feel free to remove if so).

Prior to the attack on Mesa the combined fleet along with their fleet train assembled around a star six light years from Mesa (only known by a catalog number). I would expect this to be close to standard practice for most navies in the Honorverse, and the fleet train stays in the otherwise unoccupied system until summoned to the newly conquered system or the survivors of the attacking force return for patching up and help limping home.
Post by Sigs   » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:49 am

Sigs
Rear Admiral

Castenea wrote:Hope this is not too much of a spoiler (Duckk feel free to remove if so).

Prior to the attack on Mesa the combined fleet along with their fleet train assembled around a star six light years from Mesa (only known by a catalog number). I would expect this to be close to standard practice for most navies in the Honorverse, and the fleet train stays in the otherwise unoccupied system until summoned to the newly conquered system or the survivors of the attacking force return for patching up and help limping home.

We are also talking about the combined fleet of two of the most experienced navies around. The arrogance that either might have had has been beaten out of them after 20 years of hard fighting with both sides getting major victories and serious setbacks. At least initially the SLN was operating on the assumption that they were the big bad wolf and everyone else was a flea. They couldn't conceive of anyone fighting back when they were outnumbered so bad. As for Filareta if I am not mistaking he made quite a long journey, in one jump so I doubt he send his fleet train to a different system without scouting it in the first place.

If I were him I would either bring them with me and protect them as best I can, or I would move my entire fleet in an unoccupied system, secure that system and leave a picket strong enough to protect the fleet train. Then I would leave some destroyers or light cruisers out of the way to monitor the fighting and go back to recover the fleet train should I fail in the battle. The last think I would do is send my all too valuable fleet train into a system inside the territory of my enemy without securing it, or scouting it in the first place.
Post by Theemile   » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:19 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Sigs wrote:
Castenea wrote:Hope this is not too much of a spoiler (Duckk feel free to remove if so).

We are also talking about the combined fleet of two of the most experienced navies around. The arrogance that either might have had has been beaten out of them after 20 years of hard fighting with both sides getting major victories and serious setbacks. At least initially the SLN was operating on the assumption that they were the big bad wolf and everyone else was a flea. They couldn't conceive of anyone fighting back when they were outnumbered so bad. As for Filareta if I am not mistaking he made quite a long journey, in one jump so I doubt he send his fleet train to a different system without scouting it in the first place.

If I were him I would either bring them with me and protect them as best I can, or I would move my entire fleet in an unoccupied system, secure that system and leave a picket strong enough to protect the fleet train. Then I would leave some destroyers or light cruisers out of the way to monitor the fighting and go back to recover the fleet train should I fail in the battle. The last think I would do is send my all too valuable fleet train into a system inside the territory of my enemy without securing it, or scouting it in the first place.

After the Battle was published, the forum was alight with questions about Filareta's screen, fleet teain, and marine invasion firce. None of which were decried as being in Manticore, nor was any other description given about their whereabouts.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:20 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Sigs wrote:The last think I would do is send my all too valuable fleet train into a system inside the territory of my enemy without securing it, or scouting it in the first place.

Would a SLN Battle Fleet admiral see his fleet train as "valuable" or as "an irritating necessity?"

A Frontier Fleet commander might see a fleet train as "valuable," but they don't appear to operate in large enough units that a fleet train is practical.

Given the contempt Battle Fleet commanders have shown for anyone not part of Battle Fleet's combat power, I'd be surprised if "Fleet Train" didn't rank somewhere below REMFs for most SLN-BF commanders.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:36 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Sigs wrote:

Not so. The collier dropped pods in system and Terekov's ships loaded up then proceeded in system all fat, dumb and happy expecting only 11 BCs in the repair slips + whatever LACs and DDs Monica had. Then he proceeded to get 75% of his ships shot to [expletive deleted] by those System defense pods. Then Helen finds the 3 BCs boring down on them.

Return to Honorverse