Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests

Rebellion plan (spoilers)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Rebellion plan (spoilers)
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:12 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Theemile wrote:
Zvalia is the Manty task force leader in SoV who "meets" (i.e. introduces his favorite Marine landing party and their kinky handcuffs) Damien on Seraphin. His streak ship was stationed in another system due to the dangerous situation, and was not captured.

Given Capt Zavala's inventiveness, I suspect that he can arrange for the capture of Caroline Henegar from her hiding in plain sight place in Addison.
Post by SYED   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:29 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

A streak ship might out run most military ships in FTL, but in the hyper limit LACs and the warships can run it down, so lure it in or hunt it in the near by system.

Has any one got confirmation of the shown rebel world's locations, I am talking about loomis, swallow, seraphin and that Chezk world. I think they on that expanded map that shows where Mesa is. It does make sense for there to be rebellions on world near Mesa, so when the alignment expands from Visigoth, they can easily manipulate the planet in lining up.

On the map that shows Mesa I think I have located möbius, swallow, seraphim and saltash. Can any one see loomis, Kumasi or that other system?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:25 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

SYED wrote:A streak ship might out run most military ships in FTL, but in the hyper limit LACs and the warships can run it down, so lure it in or hunt it in the near by system.
True, if its moderately deep into the inner system, the MAlign doesn't (afaik) have radically improved compensators - so even a streak courier's small size won't let it out accelerate an RMN ship which does have such a comornsator.

OTOH I wonder how fanatical the people onboard are. If there's a Gaul (or equivalent) willing to hit a self destruct button and, say, blow the fusion reactor that'd make it vastly harder to capture a streak drive for reverse engineering...
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:55 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
SYED wrote:A streak ship might out run most military ships in FTL, but in the hyper limit LACs and the warships can run it down, so lure it in or hunt it in the near by system.
True, if its moderately deep into the inner system, the MAlign doesn't (afaik) have radically improved compensators - so even a streak courier's small size won't let it out accelerate an RMN ship which does have such a comornsator.

OTOH I wonder how fanatical the people onboard are. If there's a Gaul (or equivalent) willing to hit a self destruct button and, say, blow the fusion reactor that'd make it vastly harder to capture a streak drive for reverse engineering...

They are worst than fanatical. They are MAligned. Nanite compulsion would easily accomplish a death before surrender clause. Remember the Second Battle of Manticore?

The MAlign motto is "We take no and we make no prisoners."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:25 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:True, if its moderately deep into the inner system, the MAlign doesn't (afaik) have radically improved compensators - so even a streak courier's small size won't let it out accelerate an RMN ship which does have such a comornsator.

They are worst than fanatical. They are MAligned. Nanite compulsion would easily accomplish a death before surrender clause. Remember the Second Battle of Manticore?

Right. It's not a question of whether the MAlign has people fanatical enough to blown the ship - it's more a question of whether they had the foresight to spend one of the limited crew slots on one of them and set th ship up with a quick self-destruct mechanism/procedure.

I suspect they were paranoid enough to have done so; which quite ruins plans to capture one.
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:47 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:True, if its moderately deep into the inner system, the MAlign doesn't (afaik) have radically improved compensators - so even a streak courier's small size won't let it out accelerate an RMN ship which does have such a comornsator.

Jonathan_S wrote:Right. It's not a question of whether the MAlign has people fanatical enough to blown the ship - it's more a question of whether they had the foresight to spend one of the limited crew slots on one of them and set th ship up with a quick self-destruct mechanism/procedure.

I suspect they were paranoid enough to have done so; which quite ruins plans to capture one.

Can we accurately say that about the MAlign? Surely they represent a paradigm shift in thinking. I'd much rather call it a paradigm flip. Emplacing that sort of contingency plan is natural for the MAlign. It is like breathing.

Being successful in staying in the shadows for centuries doesn't afford the luxury of such laxness.

Besides, they really can't afford for any of their hardware to be captured. That's the smoking gun. Bigfoot's foot, instead of Bigfoot's foot's print.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by SYED   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:50 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

The thing is this streak ship was never meant to come near the manties. It was supposed to support the Janus operation, while passing unnoticed through the verge and side stepping the local ships. They never expected the manties to get involved just so soon. The ship would not kill it self if discovered by frontier fleet, just lie and bribe and use their connections.

Stealth ships are limited in their defences, and might not be able to resist a bording.
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:23 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

SYED wrote:The thing is this streak ship was never meant to come near the manties. It was supposed to support the Janus operation, while passing unnoticed through the verge and side stepping the local ships. They never expected the manties to get involved just so soon. The ship would not kill it self if discovered by frontier fleet, just lie and bribe and use their connections.

Stealth ships are limited in their defences, and might not be able to resist a bording.

And when, exactly, did Benjamin Detweiller ever use should or probably in mission planning? They never expected Terekov to stumble across the Montana/Kornati operation or Zilwicki & Cachat to show up, especially not with Simoes. At this point. I'd be pretty paranoid about shouldn't and probably won't.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by saber964   » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:55 pm

saber964
Admiral

WeirdlyWired wrote:
SYED wrote:The thing is this streak ship was never meant to come near the manties. It was supposed to support the Janus operation, while passing unnoticed through the verge and side stepping the local ships. They never expected the manties to get involved just so soon. The ship would not kill it self if discovered by frontier fleet, just lie and bribe and use their connections.

And when, exactly, did Benjamin Detweiller ever use should or probably in mission planning? They never expected Terekov to stumble across the Montana/Kornati operation or Zilwicki & Cachat to show up, especially not with Simoes. At this point. I'd be pretty paranoid about shouldn't and probably won't.

Remember how shocked Detweiller & Co were when they got the news about Elizabeth and Eloise had there little get together and the reasons why they got together. The MAlign has managed to combine three of the four most powerful militaries in the Honorverse and the fourth doesn't exactly like them much either. The Grand Alliance has in its forces the best trained best led most technologically advanced and most battle hardened troops in the Galaxy.
Post by SYED   » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:55 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

They might change their plans when act in or near alliance space, but this is the verge. Why would the manties be coming after them here? They are not trying to fool them, just the corrupt people of the verge.

Return to Honorverse