Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 128 guests

Nesbits

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Nesbits
Post by martin   » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:38 am

martin
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I know it must be an old question but I've not found it.

How come the Nesbits, Meson agents both, have not been spotted by the Haven tree cats? Especially Tony, since he is right there at the centres of power? Its not said he has a cat of his own but he is there with Theisman, Montrow, Pritchard and others.

Any thoughts, experts?

martin
Re: Nesbits
Post by zuluwiz   » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:10 am

zuluwiz
Commander

Obviously the Mad Wizard does not want him to be discovered yet. In time it will come to pass, probably just before the Last Battle.
Post by tonyz   » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:02 am

tonyz
Lieutenant Commander

martin wrote:How come the Nesbits, Meson agents both, have not been spotted by the Haven tree cats? Especially Tony, since he is right there at the centres of power? Its not said he has a cat of his own but he is there with Theisman, Montrow, Pritchard and others.

Timing factors. I don't think they've had enough in-universe time to get the treecats out to Haven yet, much less start probing mid-level security officers in large numbers.
Post by WLBjork   » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:00 am

WLBjork
Commander

martin wrote:I know it must be an old question but I've not found it.

How come the Nesbits, Meson agents both, have not been spotted by the Haven tree cats? Especially Tony, since he is right there at the centres of power? Its not said he has a cat of his own but he is there with Theisman, Montrow, Pritchard and others.

Any thoughts, experts?

martin

Well, only the security guy is anything like an agent. So far, it seems he's more of a humint source rather than an active conspiracy member. So it's possible the Treecats may in fact pick nothing useful up.
Post by kzt   » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:26 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

He was in the same room as Honor and Nimitz iirc.
Post by phillies   » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:49 am

phillies
Admiral

kzt wrote:He was in the same room as Honor and Nimitz iirc.

He was picked up. See text. However, neither Honor nor Nimitz can pick up human thoughts; they pick up emotional tones. Honor was aware that he had an issue but had no idea what it was.
Post by kzt   » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:16 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:Honor was aware that he had an issue but had no idea what it was.

Along with half the other people in the room. Funny how that works after you kill 20 million people.
Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:21 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Friends of mine in Romania discussed quite some time ago that the MAlign could have long isolated the gene influencing emotion. They could have long since engineered into their spies emotional stealth from the cats sensory. The conversation ranged from sociopathy to schizophrenia. They discussed other emotionless states found in humans as well. The conversation was too deep for my brain. Neurosurgeons and MDs don't exactly speak English even when they speak English. I managed to understand the gist of it. The MAlign can engineer emotionally dead spies.

Though I think if successful, an emotionally dead human should raise quite a treecat brow. A somewhat related article...

snip

The researchers identified that some of us carry a certain genetic variation called ADRA2b. This gene variation influences the neurotransmitter norepinephrine. ADRA2b is linked to heightened activity in specific brain regions that trigger more intense emotional responses and sensitivity when viewing both positive and negative images.

The May 2015 study, "Neurogenetic Variations in Norepinephrine Availability Enhance Perceptual Vividness,” was published in the Journal of Neuroscience. For this study, participants were asked to estimate the amount of "noise", or pixelation, applied to images that had either positive, negative, or neutral emotional content.

Carriers of the ADRA2b gene variation show more activity in a region of the brain responsible for regulating emotions and evaluating both pleasure and threat. In a press release, lead author Rebecca Todd described the study saying,

People really do see the world differently. For people with this gene variation, the emotionally relevant things in the world stand out much more. We thought, from our previous research, that people with the deletion variant would probably show this emotionally enhanced vividness, and they did more than we would even have predicted.
People who have the deletion variant are drawing on an additional network in their brains important for calculating the emotional relevance of things in the world. In any situation where noticing what's relevant in the environment is important, this gene variation would be a positive.

Adam Anderson, professor of human development at Cornell University and senior author of the study added, “Emotions are not only about how feel about the world, but how our brains influence our perception of it. As our genes influence how we literally see the positive and negative aspects of our world more clearly, we may come to believe the world has more rewards or threats."

snip

Full article found here...
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/th ... ensitivity

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by saber964   » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:01 pm

saber964
Admiral

Okay there are two Nesbitts. First is Tony currently SecTrade in Pritchart's cabinet, the second is his cousin Jean-Claude who is a Lieutenant Colonel in security at the Department of State.

The probable reason why Tony has not been picked up is he isn't an Mesan agent but Jean-Claude hasn't been exposed to a Treecat yet. The reason why is he is a mid to upper level security agent at the State Department but was unlikely involved with security at the Plaza Falls Hotel where the negotiations took place. The security for the peace conference was probably handled by Presidential Security.
Post by Louis R   » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:23 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

It helps to remember that Tony Nesbitt was also one of Giancola's people [and we know from the Detweilers that Giancola was _not_ theirs] but honest enough to recognise that Giancola was quite capable of cooking the negotiations with Manticore for his own advantage. His emotional states as reported by Nimitz are IMV fully consistent with that.

While it can be argued [and I have] that the Nesbitts must be a Star Line there is actually no direct evidence for it. There is, OTOH, evidence that not all members of the Star Lines are recruited into the onion on any level. So it is entirely possible that even if Jean Claude knows exactly what's going on - and will avoid contact with the 'cats by any means possible - Tony has never had any connection with the Alignment.

saber964 wrote:Okay there are two Nesbitts. First is Tony currently SecTrade in Pritchart's cabinet, the second is his cousin Jean-Claude who is a Lieutenant Colonel in security at the Department of State.

The probable reason why Tony has not been picked up is he isn't an Mesan agent but Jean-Claude hasn't been exposed to a Treecat yet. The reason why is he is a mid to upper level security agent at the State Department but was unlikely involved with security at the Plaza Falls Hotel where the negotiations took place. The security for the peace conference was probably handled by Presidential Security.

Return to Honorverse