Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

Marine compliments?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Marine compliments?
Post by Rawb   » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:10 pm

Rawb
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Running a forum based Honorverse strategy game and we might be getting into planetary combat. I'm curious what the average Marine compliments of ships are in the RMN. I only need it as specific as "battalion for a ship of the wall" and such, and I'm talking around 1900 PD.

Anyone know the figures?
Re: Marine compliments?
Post by kzt   » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:22 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I think that is in the first Jaynes book. But I'm on the road and can't check.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:07 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:I think that is in the first Jaynes book. But I'm on the road and can't check.

It's in there. Checking mine. Each capitol ship has a full reinforced Battalion of 595 Marines with Asssult company and command. That is on RMN BCs and up. The Broadsword CAs, the speciality Marine cruiser, holds a reinforced Battalion of 638 men including a 2nd assault company.

A normal shipborne reinforced Battalion is 3 rifle companies, 1 Heavy weapons company, 1 assault company, plus Command company. Line rifle battalions usually do not have attached assault companies.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by John Prigent   » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:52 pm

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Am I allowed to point out that marine compliments are exchanged between ships or between a ship and the shore? By dipping the ensign in salute when under way, and by firing set numbers of blank shots in salute to various people and/or their offices. Such things as the 21-gun Royal Salute come under this heading.

Cheers, John
Post by saber964   » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:20 pm

saber964
Admiral

Theemile wrote:
kzt wrote:I think that is in the first Jaynes book. But I'm on the road and can't check.

It's in there. Checking mine. Each capitol ship has a full reinforced Battalion of 595 Marines with Asssult company and command. That is on RMN BCs and up. The Broadsword CAs, the speciality Marine cruiser, holds a reinforced Battalion of 638 men including a 2nd assault company.

A normal shipborne reinforced Battalion is 3 rifle companies, 1 Heavy weapons company, 1 assault company, plus Command company. Line rifle battalions usually do not have attached assault companies.

Yes and no on the marine detachment size. In 1900 PD marine detachment were.

Destroyer 1 platoon made up of 3 regular squads and 1 BA squad
Light Cruiser 1 company made up of 3 or 4 platoons s/a
Heavy Cruiser 1 battalion made up of 3 companies made up of 4 platoons with 1 platoon made up of BA.
Battle Cruiser 1 battalion made up of 4 companies s/a
Dreadnaught and Super Dreadnaught 1 battalion made up of 3 companies plus a BA company.
Post by George J. Smith   » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:15 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

John Prigent wrote:Am I allowed to point out that marine compliments are exchanged between ships or between a ship and the shore? By dipping the ensign in salute when under way, and by firing set numbers of blank shots in salute to various people and/or their offices. Such things as the 21-gun Royal Salute come under this heading.

Cheers, John

Don't forget "The Compliments of the Season" as we refer to it on this side of the pond. :lol:
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Theemile   » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:53 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:
Theemile wrote:

Yes and no on the marine detachment size. In 1900 PD marine detachment were.

Destroyer 1 platoon made up of 3 regular squads and 1 BA squad
Light Cruiser 1 company made up of 3 or 4 platoons s/a
Heavy Cruiser 1 battalion made up of 3 companies made up of 4 platoons with 1 platoon made up of BA.
Battle Cruiser 1 battalion made up of 4 companies s/a
Dreadnaught and Super Dreadnaught 1 battalion made up of 3 companies plus a BA company.

By "shipborne" I meant capital shipborn. 3 rifles, 1 hw and 1 assault + command is out of the Jayne's RMN.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Louis R   » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:42 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

You are.

My immediate response was that Marines pay compliments just like the Navy would. Himself probably assumes American style, but I don't think it's been described.

John Prigent wrote:Am I allowed to point out that marine compliments are exchanged between ships or between a ship and the shore? By dipping the ensign in salute when under way, and by firing set numbers of blank shots in salute to various people and/or their offices. Such things as the 21-gun Royal Salute come under this heading.

Cheers, John
Post by Dathi   » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:59 am

Dathi
Ensign

Marine compliments:

Wow, what muscles!

Good throw!

I hear you're the best shot in the platoon.

Return to Honorverse