Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

THE LENNYS ARE COMING! THE LENNYS ARE COMING!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: THE LENNYS ARE COMING! THE LENNYS ARE COMING!
Post by cthia   » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:49 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Today Beowulf.
Tomorrow Torch.
Then we'll arrive on schedule in the Manty Home system just in time for Cryptsmass.

Please forgive me my Lord.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:10 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Today Beowulf.
Tomorrow Torch.
Then we'll arrive on schedule in the Manty Home system just in time for Cryptsmass.

Please forgive me my Lord.

And it'll be Merrier than Hell. To us at least.
We make people cry. That's what an Onion does!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:24 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

If the Felix junction is fought over, could the Lenny Dets become instrumental in the MAlign successfully defending it from the GA? Even beyond the current impossibility of just hypering into the teeth of mega-missile pods?

I'm thinking the Lenny Dets will do the same for defending the MAlign Home system.

Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:22 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:If the Felix junction is fought over, could the Lenny Dets become instrumental in the MAlign successfully defending it from the GA? Even beyond the current impossibility of just hypering into the teeth of mega-missile pods?
Possible - the MAlign might deploy some there to patrol and defend the junction.
Now I can't think of a way to send timely, but undetected, reinforcements after a hostile fleet is already in-system (sending them through the junction is too likely to be seen or even blockaded - while sending them through hyper takes far too long for a system defense. At that point you're looking at retaking the system)

If they're already there, then there'd never be hyper emergency signals - which are currently the only way GA forces have every spotted a spider drive ship.
They'd still want to stay stealthy, but that might allow them to deploy pods as minefields, or send grazer torps to stalk enemy ships. (If the ship is under power you'd have to be within a certain cone forward of it's path to pull of the intercept with the lower accel torp - but even if out of position you could potentially send it chasing after on the assumption they'll kill velocity and enter orbit at some point)

Your hit percentages wouldn't be great if you let the pods fire semi-autonomously in minefield mode. But you'd be well clear of any searches of the area looking for controlling ships - so that's a trade-off. For more effective fire you have to be reasonably close to the pods, and at greater risk of being discovered. (possibly by being backlit by a laserhead's nuke targeting your pods - the radiation and photons from a nuke are a lot of flux for the stealth system to deal with - so a nearby nuke, still much to far to cause damage, might cause the Lenny Det to be briefly detectable...)
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:10 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

THE LENNYS ARE COMING

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO

MILDEW OR BARBEQUE

Post by dsrseraphin   » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:51 pm

dsrseraphin
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:Since they are patterned after submarines, it makes one wonder what sort of sub-like tactics will be employed.

It'd be hilarious if RFC incorporates some sort of depth charge in the GA arsenal. Developed 'on-the-run'. LOL

DIY recipe for n-space 'depth charge' for stealthed ships and/or drones...

take old style thermonuclear missile, wrap in prepared glass sabot (sabot can be either preshattered or bubbled).

serve with LAC (harrier) soup and ghost rider garnishing
substitute the ghost rider with Hermes buoys if dealing with spyder drives (the buoys will 'hear' & triangulate the spyder drives)

When served, the missiles should absolutely explode into a bouquet of c-frac sand. Near detonations on soft skinned (anything other than an impeller wall) target should be rendered combat disabled, with far detonations reducing combat efficiency and serving to 'smoke' the target out.

Safe for use near inhabited planets! (orbital infrastructure - not so much)

must give credit were credit is due...
first saw this concept of sand as an area in space deterrent against ship/craft underway in Ian Dougles' Star Carrier series

-David S.
Post by cthia   » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:20 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

"Of course we had a contingency plan."

" " "We we we are are are Alph Alpha Alpha." " "

Return to Honorverse