Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 58 guests

What's your favourite ship class and why?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What's your favourite ship class and why?
Post by zuluwiz   » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:19 am

zuluwiz
Commander

If I had my druthers, I'd definitely go with an Asgerd-class planetoid. Better yet, half a dozen.
Re: What's your favourite ship class and why?
Post by Roguevictory   » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:10 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:
Roguevictory wrote:(snip)

Which kind of makes me liking RFC's works ironic because I strongly suspect he hates frigates on some level.
(snip)
I just started reading In Hell's Foundations Quiver, the first Safehold novel I've read, but so far despite Safehold's tech level being at a point where frigates were playing a key role in the navies of Earth there is no mention of them.

There are quite a few frigates sailing on Safehold's oceans in _Hell's Foundations Quiver_; just because they are called galleons does not mean that they are not frigates. They are 3 masted square-rigs with one main gun deck and a spar deck. That is an early 19th century big frigate.

Just finished HFQ (Had to buy three copies before I managed it because I left one in the Doctor's office during an early morning appointment and one of mom's dogs threw up on the second.)

I know Galleons varied in armament with loadouts appropriate for every thing from post ships to heavy ships of the line Usually though when I think of a War Galleon I think of the heavy ships, and the book seems to treat them more as the heavy warships, other then the new armored ships and bombardment ships. I can see what you mean about them being used as the equivalent of 19th century steam frigates. The term Galleon and the tech base pre-Charis revolution had me thinking of the older ship types more like 16th and 17th century fleets when thinking of the pre-steam and pre-armor ships.

Another odd thing I noticed was several references to light cruisers but none to heavier cruisers.

Return to Honorverse