Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests

What's your favourite ship class and why?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
What's your favourite ship class and why?
Post by 19chickens   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:58 pm

19chickens
Ensign

My favourite would probably be the Invictuses, given that they're the most powerful ship in service of any navy. What about you?
Re: What's your favourite ship class and why?
Post by cthia   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:56 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Fearless, or rather the Courageous Class light cruiser. They take a lickin' and keep on tickin' even after they've been abused and raped.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:39 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Star Knight heavy cruisers.

Any CA which can mess up 2 of the 4 BCs sent to jump it from the shaddows is a mean ship. It's like that junior high kid that bloodies 2 of the pack of high school bullies to try to rob him.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by WLBjork   » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:22 am

WLBjork
Commander

Battlecruisers. Nikes in particular, the current pinnacle of combat experience in design with some powerful armaments to boot.

I'd hazard a guess that passively, Nikes are at least as tough as the pre-war battleships of the Peeps, possibly approaching the toughness of a DN with the new armour we saw introduced in SVW (and no doubt improved on since then) - not forgetting improved damage control techniques as well.
Post by HB of CJ   » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:54 am

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Very large fast fleet replenishment ships. That way one would be assured of personally not running out of all the luxury goodies like beer, booze, wine, ice cream, good steaks, etc, etc. Yumm yumm, glug, glug. :)
Post by SharkHunter   » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:33 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Hands down the HMAMC Trojan class, but more likely it will become the Taylor class ships we first see in Shadow of Victory, which have basically taken the best lessons from WayFarer to heart, because the are way more dangerous and survivable than Wayfarer.

Of the ships that we've seen in full on battle, definitely the Saganami class, especially the -C's. Gauntlet was an -B and took out four SLN heavy cruisers, Hexapuma was a -C and led the battle of Monica. If she'd had -16 G's (which didn't yet exist, in sector), the scratch fleet Terekhov put together would have experienced much less damage.

edits: a couple folks noticed that I was asleep at the detail wheel (Sag a vs B, AoV vs SoV.)
Last edited by SharkHunter on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:58 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

tricky. the new Taylor ships are quite fun being able to do just anything providing you don't want it to kill an SD.

pure warships? probably Reliant class BC, the last BC before the BC basically became a small SD.

though the Courageous class will always have a special place on my list as it was the ship class where this journey began.
Post by RobThompson   » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:53 pm

RobThompson
Midshipman

SharkHunter wrote:Hands down the HMAMC Trojan class, but more likely it will become the Taylor class ships we first see in Ashes of Victory, which have basically taken the best lessons from WayFarer to heart, because the are way more dangerous and survivable than Wayfarer.

Of the ships that we've seen in full on battle, definitely the Saganami class, especially the -C's. Gauntlet was an -A and took out four SLN heavy cruisers, Hexapuma was a -C and led the battle of Monica. If she'd had -16 G's (which didn't yet exist, in sector), the scratch fleet Terekhov put together would have experienced much less damage.

FWIW, Gauntlet was a Sag-B; the only Sag-A's we've seen in text were in AOV (HMS Edward Saganami, Henke's cruiser) and WOH, in action in Silesia.

The Trojan's were a tough ship on pirates, but mostly because they were of unknown capability. A group of ships that knew what they had (ie., BC-SD grasers, 10 SD missiles in the broadside, plus pods. But there wasn't any armour, they were dead slow in maneuvers, and they couldn't use active sensors (radars or lidar) until AFTER they sucked in the pirates. Nor could they use ghost rider drones when operating solo--too much chance of being seen (also, they didn't exist in the capabilities they got two or three years later).

I like the smaller ships, because they aren't so overwhelming as to be boring. But the ERM ships (destroyers, and heavy cruisers, not just Avalons)could handle just about anything we've seen so far from the Sollies and Malign.

Rob

(formerly, Armed Neo-Bob)
Post by 19chickens   » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:54 pm

19chickens
Ensign

SharkHunter wrote:it will become the Taylor class ships we first see in Ashes of Victory

Did you mean Shadow of Victory? Searching my copy of AoV revealed no references to anything "Taylor".

On the lighter unit side, the Mars-class CAs from Haven are pretty good. IIRC they have more brute impeller strength than comparable ships, letting them tow more pods before their accel drops.
Post by jdtinIA   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:12 pm

jdtinIA
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Wayfarer class armed merchant cruiser.
If I had one it would be called "Spanish Inquisition".
Because noone expects the spanish inquisition.

Return to Honorverse