Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 57 guests

What's your favourite ship class and why?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What's your favourite ship class and why?
Post by zuluwiz   » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:19 am

zuluwiz
Commander

If I had my druthers, I'd definitely go with an Asgerd-class planetoid. Better yet, half a dozen.
Re: What's your favourite ship class and why?
Post by Roguevictory   » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:10 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:
Roguevictory wrote:(snip)

Which kind of makes me liking RFC's works ironic because I strongly suspect he hates frigates on some level.
(snip)
I just started reading In Hell's Foundations Quiver, the first Safehold novel I've read, but so far despite Safehold's tech level being at a point where frigates were playing a key role in the navies of Earth there is no mention of them.

There are quite a few frigates sailing on Safehold's oceans in _Hell's Foundations Quiver_; just because they are called galleons does not mean that they are not frigates. They are 3 masted square-rigs with one main gun deck and a spar deck. That is an early 19th century big frigate.

Just finished HFQ (Had to buy three copies before I managed it because I left one in the Doctor's office during an early morning appointment and one of mom's dogs threw up on the second.)

I know Galleons varied in armament with loadouts appropriate for every thing from post ships to heavy ships of the line Usually though when I think of a War Galleon I think of the heavy ships, and the book seems to treat them more as the heavy warships, other then the new armored ships and bombardment ships. I can see what you mean about them being used as the equivalent of 19th century steam frigates. The term Galleon and the tech base pre-Charis revolution had me thinking of the older ship types more like 16th and 17th century fleets when thinking of the pre-steam and pre-armor ships.

Another odd thing I noticed was several references to light cruisers but none to heavier cruisers.

Return to Honorverse