Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: George J. Smith, Google [Bot] and 43 guests

Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:47 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

There are several discussions in this thread about designated survivor protocols and contingency plans of the sort. I wasn't aware of the 'Doomsday' plane when the discussion was raging. An attempt to keep the chickens and the eggs out of the same intercontinental ballistic basket.

I always thought Air Force One was the 'Doomsday' plane.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by pappilon   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:39 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:In reading the blurb of UH, placing Honor in the driver's seat enroute to the Sol system, I wonder if the implications are akin to tossing the Harrington Doctrine in the cultivator?

Or is there a line, that if crossed by the Mandarins/SLN, nullifies the Doctrine? Say like an Eridani Edict violation against some entity in the Haven sector? I do imagine that a transgression on the part of the SLN against the Eridani Edict would give cause to crush them without worry of League members coming to their rescue.

Akin to the Salamander saying "Give me a reason to come after you. Go on gorilla, make my day."

ldwechsler wrote:There seems to be little doubt (at least in our community) that at least one line will be crossed. The Yawata strike clearly crossed that line already (not the Eridani one, but the Manties are clearly pissed and are taking the offensive more).

And, yes, Yawata was by a different group, but a lot of people on Manticore don't know that...or at least it's not clear.

The fecal matter will soon hit the impellers. Stay tuned for the eArc.

Isn't there an old saying about no Harrington Doctrine long surviving contact with The 800# Gorilla?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:58 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
cthia wrote:In reading the blurb of UH, placing Honor in the driver's seat enroute to the Sol system, I wonder if the implications are akin to tossing the Harrington Doctrine in the cultivator?

Or is there a line, that if crossed by the Mandarins/SLN, nullifies the Doctrine? Say like an Eridani Edict violation against some entity in the Haven sector? I do imagine that a transgression on the part of the SLN against the Eridani Edict would give cause to crush them without worry of League members coming to their rescue.

Akin to the Salamander saying "Give me a reason to come after you. Go on gorilla, make my day."

ldwechsler wrote:There seems to be little doubt (at least in our community) that at least one line will be crossed. The Yawata strike clearly crossed that line already (not the Eridani one, but the Manties are clearly pissed and are taking the offensive more).

And, yes, Yawata was by a different group, but a lot of people on Manticore don't know that...or at least it's not clear.

The fecal matter will soon hit the impellers. Stay tuned for the eArc.
Isn't there an old saying about no Harrington Doctrine long surviving contact with The 800# Gorilla?

Because it's written on rice paper. Can't you just imagine Kong pounding his chest, walking on rice paper?

Imagine having to deal with Kong while walking on rice paper.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:42 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:There are several discussions in this thread about designated survivor protocols and contingency plans of the sort. I wasn't aware of the 'Doomsday' plane when the discussion was raging. An attempt to keep the chickens and the eggs out of the same intercontinental ballistic basket.

"Air Force One" is any USAF aircraft with the President on Board. It could be a random O-1 Birdog or the one of the two VIP Transports everyone calls "Air Force One."

The "Doomsday Plane" is the "SAC Airborne Command Post" (or used to be until they renamed SAC) that was airborne 24/7 with a senior general officer to take command of a MAD retaliation strike if SAC headquarters in Omaha Nebraska was destroyed.

The Doomsday Plane was only relevant to command of the US Nuclear Strike forces and not part of the civilian line of succession. I don't believe a 25/7 over-watch is still maintained. The Doomsday Plane should only be flying during exercises/training or in cases of extreme international tensions.

The plane CNN visited was the current version of a "Doomsday Plane" for "Operation Looking-glass" the 24/7 ground alert version of the 24/7 airborne alert of the Cold War:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_E-6_Mercury

Other planes/missions known as a "Doomsday Plane":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_E-4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_EC-135

And "Air Force One": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_VC-25
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by pappilon   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:37 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:There are several discussions in this thread about designated survivor protocols and contingency plans of the sort. I wasn't aware of the 'Doomsday' plane when the discussion was raging. An attempt to keep the chickens and the eggs out of the same intercontinental ballistic basket.

"Air Force One" is any USAF aircraft with the President on Board. It could be a random O-1 Birdog or the one of the two VIP Transports everyone calls "Air Force One."

The "Doomsday Plane" is the "SAC Airborne Command Post" (or used to be until they renamed SAC) that was airborne 24/7 with a senior general officer to take command of a MAD retaliation strike if SAC headquarters in Omaha Nebraska was destroyed.

The Doomsday Plane was only relevant to command of the US Nuclear Strike forces and not part of the civilian line of succession. I don't believe a 25/7 over-watch is still maintained. The Doomsday Plane should only be flying during exercises/training or in cases of extreme international tensions.

The plane CNN visited was the current version of a "Doomsday Plane" for "Operation Looking-glass" the 24/7 ground alert version of the 24/7 airborne alert of the Cold War:

And another topic gets shunted off into the endless wasteland of Military History of the Most Dismissive Kind.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:36 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

pappilon wrote:And another topic gets shunted off into the endless wasteland of Military History of the Most Dismissive Kind.

:lol:

RFC is a history buff as well. But point taken. Although I think the thread will survive it.

I appreciate Harold's input because previously, I didn't get any of the memos and I can't believe it wasn't mentioned anywhere in the thread early on. Unless I missed it while parrying posts.

Post by pappilon   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:30 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote::lol:

RFC is a history buff as well. But point taken. Although I think the thread will survive it.

I appreciate Harold's input because previously, I didn't get any of the memos and I can't believe it wasn't mentioned anywhere in the thread early on. Unless I missed it while parrying posts.

I pretty much missed it even going back looking for it.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by cthia   » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:19 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

If I were the MAlign with a malignant mind and the Mensa ability to see many moves into the future, I'd look to level the playing field in the end game and target the players while they're still young. The MA can target Harrington's offspring. That will go a long way to destroy the future nemises and break the present nemesis.

A century later the Malign can go back to the future, now.

Post by Nimitz1923PD   » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:07 pm

Nimitz1923PD
Commander

cthia wrote:If I were the MAlign with a malignant mind and the Mensa ability to see many moves into the future, I'd look to level the playing field in the end game and target the players while they're still young. The MA can target Harrington's offspring. That will go a long way to destroy the future nemises and break the present nemesis.

A century later the Malign can go back to the future, now.

Duckk says: unmarked spoilers. Highlight to view original comment.

The problem with that theory. They know the Detweilers still exist & Beowulf will be out for MA blood after 43 million civilian deaths.

Nimitz
Post by cthia   » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:59 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Duckk says: unmarked spoilers

Return to Honorverse