Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tlb and 79 guests

Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:20 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

pappilon wrote:It seems to me thee was some concern about missiles Technodyne was supplying to someone being way too similar to the MAlign's very similar ones. Detweiler Chandler Service probably arranged the missile shipment to Filareta, but they furnished Technodyne's missiles.

The key thing is that the missiles provided for the League are legal. No problem legally making them anywhere.

Why make them in the one place you want no one outside the secret to know about? The best thing to do is have them produce missiles that will be used LATER. That does create problems because if you wait long enough, they will be outdated/

But the best way to stay hidden is to create things that are quite legal and just label them from other places...there are a dozen planets in MAlign.

Even now, most leather products "made in Italy" are made in China. But the handles have to be added and that is done in Italy and the labels are legal.

Why not claim the work is done through one of the other planets? And if they are legal products few will really look further.

Start building the real fleet, the Detweilers, only a few years before they will be needed. And chances are they will be used against planets in the League. A good way to build up the Renaissance group they are using as a front.
Post by Brigade XO   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:12 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
I seen to remember a conversation where David said that most break bulk shipping goes through centralized hubs. If you aren't filling a freighter with Qupie dolls, you would go down the street to the local Galactic Parcel Service office and send your shipment of dolls through them. They would place it on the first passing contracted freighter going to the local GPS hub, or the GPS hub in the direction of shipment's destination. Once the freighter reached GPS Hub planet A, the shipment would be offloaded to the warehouse and then transshipped to the next freighter going to GPS Hub Planet B, and so on until the shipment reachs it destination.

So if a shipment is not on a specially chartered ship, nor fills a ship, chances are it has passed through 3 or more freighters whose only common allegiance is a subcontract to a parcel servce.

That is essentialy the primary business model for the estabished shipping routs and what anybody with a ship doing transport would like to build in some version amoung several systems. You keep running a full or almost full ship between multiple points, picking and dropping off cargo along the way. It really doesn't matter what the cargo is, as long as it makes a reasonable proffit and if you are just hauling it between two point (and any number of intermediate locations but not touched in your holds) to be dropped at a warehouse at a wormhole terminus or some system to be forewaded with the next available transport---your fine. Same reason freight brokers exist now. It's how FedEx, USP, DSL and any number of companies operate along with (I could probaly name 50 trucking companies) let alone the railroad and maritime shipping companies. Regular routes, regular clients, regular payments and profits. Handle Truckload, less that truck load, whatever. Move paying cargo.
That is also exactly what we saw in the examples of the merchants that were having to divert to Manticore space because of Lacoon I. No I can't take that cargo, I HAVE to go to Manticore.
We can guess that even those with regular routes- if they are run by owners-aboard/owner orperate captains and crew- might be also taking other cargo not through brokers or certainly from multiple brokers. They might even be doing some of it either on speculation or as private contracts. The thing is, they want to keep the holds full and the ships moving. Unless you have very large and repeditive cargos between fixed points, you are going to be moving goods from a lot of places at one time. That happens with USP or FedEx now, think of what will happen when you have a freighter with 4 million tons of cargo capasity.
Post by pappilon   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:45 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:]
That is essentialy the primary business model for the estabished shipping routs and what anybody with a ship doing transport would like to build in some version amoung several systems. You keep running a full or almost full ship between multiple points, picking and dropping off cargo along the way. It really doesn't matter what the cargo is, as long as it makes a reasonable proffit and if you are just hauling it between two point (and any number of intermediate locations but not touched in your holds) to be dropped at a warehouse at a wormhole terminus or some system to be forewaded with the next available transport---your fine. Same reason freight brokers exist now. It's how FedEx, USP, DSL and any number of companies operate along with (I could probaly name 50 trucking companies) let alone the railroad and maritime shipping companies. Regular routes, regular clients, regular payments and profits. Handle Truckload, less that truck load, whatever. Move paying cargo.
That is also exactly what we saw in the examples of the merchants that were having to divert to Manticore space because of Lacoon I. No I can't take that cargo, I HAVE to go to Manticore.
We can guess that even those with regular routes- if they are run by owners-aboard/owner orperate captains and crew- might be also taking other cargo not through brokers or certainly from multiple brokers. They might even be doing some of it either on speculation or as private contracts. The thing is, they want to keep the holds full and the ships moving. Unless you have very large and repeditive cargos between fixed points, you are going to be moving goods from a lot of places at one time. That happens with USP or FedEx now, think of what will happen when you have a freighter with 4 million tons of cargo capasity.

Hence all the warehousing orbitals around the junctions. Shuttles up load containers from the planet, download shipments received. freighters drop off whatever goes to this planet or gets stored for transshipment through another junction, then loads up any previously dropped cargo it can find.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by cthia   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:00 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

"I LOVE IT!" Says Anisimovna.

Especially as a distraction while the Eridani Strike Computers are building up a lot of heat running CSAPPS.

The subtle use of Malign tech really frightens me. Like a broken record.

It is the difference in the MAlign saying...

"LOOK! WE JUST DID SOMETHING!"

and

"look we just did something."

I'm not sure if I ever got a chance to include it, but I always envisioned some sore of distraction to help carry off the premise of this thread. This is perfect! Thanks feyhunde. Your work has not gone unnoticed inside the Onion.

feyhunde wrote:I just had an actual interesting use for the captured SLN fleet.

A false flag EE violation. Running a ship on remote at high fraction C into a planet. Possibly by using a fake SLN transponder to get deep into a league system.

Now nobody rational would ever do this. It's pointless as a waste of life not to matter cold blooded. But the MAlign might view it as a way to make the League come apart. I'm not sure even their crazies would be crazy enough to do it (the final flourish of Houdini taking out the more bloodthirsty types who would have ran it).

Well, MAlignment might just grab itself an SLN warship then use the real thing to go in an "punish" a system for trading with Manticore and manage to commit an EE violation. All the bells and whistles, using computer generated images for the Captain etc and run a scenario with the ship (being the same class as something the GA or at least the Manties have captured. Except make it with something that will be "discovered" that will prove that it was actualy a RMN crew doing it as a false flag oppereation to discredit the SLN.
Is that devious enough for you? And, of course bloody enough?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by n7axw   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:26 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I rather doubt that such things as missiles are being moved aroundby routine commercial shipping services.

That would be like sending a load of Tomahawks via UPS, for Pete's sake. Either you have a specialty service that is cleared and bonded to provide such a service or the military decides to do it directly in house.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by cthia   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:58 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:I rather doubt that such things as missiles are being moved aroundby routine commercial shipping services.

That would be like sending a load of Tomahawks via UPS, for Pete's sake. Either you have a specialty service that is cleared and bonded to provide such a service or the military decides to do it directly in house.

Don

-

True. But I think you are making the mistake of getting too caught up "By The Book."

The notion isn't to say who actually owns said freighters and shipping. And whether crew are planted. If one digs deeper. Like in the case with Hauptman's freighters.

Proxy owned. The notion of hidden subsidaries.

MAlign = To hide. To bury in red tape. To kill the person reading the tape.

Oftentimes the best place to hide is in plain sight. How long had Hauptman's freighters gotten away with those pelts and God knows what else over the years.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by pappilon   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:25 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:
n7axw wrote:I rather doubt that such things as missiles are being moved aroundby routine commercial shipping services.

Don

-

True. But I think you are making the mistake of getting too caught up by "The Book."

The notion isn't to say who actually owns said freighters and shipping. And whether crew are planted. If one digs deeper. Like in the case with Hauptman's freighters.

Oftentimes the best place to hide is in plain sight.

Fine, so the Mesan flagged ship MV Mme Butterfly owned and operated by The Jesssyk Combine drops off several huge shipping containers at the Technodyne Storage facility on Mesa. Some guy at the bar that happens to be a MAlign agent meets this other guy at the local tavern "Hey, you wana help me prank my former employer?" "Er ... I don't think so." "it would be easy and worth a few hundred credits to me." "Ok, say, hypothetically of course, I was interested." " Well someone would have to gain access to a computer and, hypothetically of course, pull up a cargo ID and erase it replacing it with a different cargo ID. So when my ex employer goes to find his cargo it would be gone, Would take him days or weeks to find it." "Hmmm, ok, no prob."

Several weeks later SLN FSV 4500099348 "Remington Steele" goes to pick up the freight which, just incidentally, has the new cargo ID for all those shipping containers and delivers them to one Admiral Filareta somewhere in the back of the beyond.

No, you're right. That could never happen in the Honorverse.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by Theemile   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:29 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

Don

-

True. But I think you are making the mistake of getting too caught up "By The Book."

Oftentimes the best place to hide is in plain sight. How long had Hauptman's freighters gotten away with those pelts and God knows what else over the years.

I'm reminded of the movie "War Dogs", a true story where a couple of young 20 somethings become millionaires profiting from the broken US military procurement system. At one point, to illegally avoid a sanction Italy has against the US war in Iraq, they personally drive a shipment of Beretta 9mm pistols across Syria and the warzone in N. Iraq to make their sale. The US mil. didn't care how they got there - just that they did it within the terms of the agreement.

In the end, they snagged a 300 million dollar contract and attempted to pass off cheap old, Chinese AK ammo they found in the Balkans (iirc) as newish Czech produced ammo, and were delivering it in baggies in cardboard boxes shipped via old ex-Soviet AN-2s. The only reason they got pinched is they stiffed the guy they were paying to repackage to bullets in the Balkans, so he called a 1-800 US Govt satisfaction line to get his payment.

As long as the correct forms were filled out, no one cared.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by pappilon   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:49 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote:I'm reminded of the movie "War Dogs", a true story where a couple of young 20 somethings become millionaires profiting from the broken US military procurement system. At one point, to illegally avoid a sanction Italy has against the US war in Iraq, they personally drive a shipment of Beretta 9mm pistols across Syria and the warzone in N. Iraq to make their sale. The US mil. didn't care how they got there - just that they did it within the terms of the agreement.

In the end, they snagged a 300 million dollar contract and attempted to pass off cheap old, Chinese AK ammo they found in the Balkans (iirc) as newish Czech produced ammo, and were delivering it in baggies in cardboard boxes shipped via old ex-Soviet AN-2s. The only reason they got pinched is they stiffed the guy they were paying to repackage to bullets in the Balkans, so he called a 1-800 US Govt satisfaction line to get his payment.

As long as the correct forms were filled out, no one cared.

Yep go there pick up this invoice (#??????),deliver it here. as long as nmbers match no one has the time or inclination to poke around, O fcourse, once it gets "here" and something is wrong, OOPS or maybe just oops. IDK, Man. I just delivered the package.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by feyhunde   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:44 pm

feyhunde
Lieutenant Commander

cthia wrote:"I LOVE IT!" Says Anisimovna.

Especially as a distraction while the Eridani Strike Computers are building up a lot of heat running CSAPPS.

The subtle use of Malign tech really frightens me. Like a broken record.

It is the difference in the MAlign saying...

"LOOK! WE JUST DID SOMETHING!"

and

"look we just did something."

I'm not sure if I ever got a chance to include it, but I always envisioned some sore of distraction to help carry off the premise of this thread. This is perfect! Thanks feyhunde. Your work has not gone unnoticed inside the Onion.

feyhunde wrote:I just had an actual interesting use for the captured SLN fleet.

A false flag EE violation. Running a ship on remote at high fraction C into a planet. Possibly by using a fake SLN transponder to get deep into a league system.

Now nobody rational would ever do this. It's pointless as a waste of life not to matter cold blooded. But the MAlign might view it as a way to make the League come apart. I'm not sure even their crazies would be crazy enough to do it (the final flourish of Houdini taking out the more bloodthirsty types who would have ran it).

Well, MAlignment might just grab itself an SLN warship then use the real thing to go in an "punish" a system for trading with Manticore and manage to commit an EE violation. All the bells and whistles, using computer generated images for the Captain etc and run a scenario with the ship (being the same class as something the GA or at least the Manties have captured. Except make it with something that will be "discovered" that will prove that it was actualy a RMN crew doing it as a false flag oppereation to discredit the SLN.
Is that devious enough for you? And, of course bloody enough?

I have to admit the second part of using an SLN vessel to commit a more regular EE violation wasn't my idea, but would be less crazy. I'm honestly thinking the grand plan for MAlign inner circle has always been to redo the final war in such a way that Beuwolf, and it's anti-transhumanist life code gets discredited. For that to happen, core world will need to burn, and the war needs to escalate into a fury that's not been seen really since the final war made everyone skittish about biotech.

Possibly weaponized Nanotech could do it. (Not biotech but full on grey goo).

But Kinetic are already there, with multiple options. Including false flags exploiting weaknesses in the SLN, Long term plans (launch a destroyer sized projectile outside the sensor shell get it up to speed, and coast), shorter plans using the spider drive (also shortcut due to the defections) etc.

Like one of my questions has always been the true purpose of the spider drive fleet the MAlign is building. It's too big for a couple of key hits ala oyster bay. It seems like its intended to do far more when complete, such as EE violations that reduce a system to ashes. (Which I fear Beowulf is going to face in the upcoming battle).

Such incidents could make what's been a naval war turn into a war to the knife. Especially if the MAlign tries counter atrocities, like wiping out a Manticore aligned planet. Create a cycle of atrocities which will split league systems enough that more atrocities can be done to make it a really nasty civil war.

Basically, the Final War again. But this time the Renaissance factor can play Beowulf.

Return to Honorverse