Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 163 guests

Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...
Post by pappilon   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:53 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:If the Lenny Dets and Sharks turn out to be all huff and no puff, all bark and no bite, all ice and no cream, then we may have to end up enduring 1001 annoying threads on what to do with all of the captured MAlign ships. LOL

I think that scenario is a highly malignant notion. As a matter of fact, Harrington may end up being recruited out of retirement to deal with such a formidable foe. Can we say, "The RMN may need Grayson to pull another "Merry Christmas, Wesley?" :lol:

ldwechsler wrote:I think it is unlikely MAlign has that many ships. They've been working on stealth.

I think the upcoming book will see the breaking apart of the Solarian League...although there will be a lot of planets still in it. But more distant worlds and those who would do better without the League will go.

We are more likely to see them in the next arc. After all, it is likely that Haven and Beowulf and even the Andermanni will reasonably get along. So we need an enemy and they are perfect for it.

I would guess RFC will do a few other books before beginning on the next arc.

I agree, in 6 months, we'll get Smoking Frog's withdrawal from the league, with or without a significant fleet engagement. My guess is the precipitating event encouraging all the Sector Governors with delusions of empire to also strike out on their own. Especially since, as far as they know, Rozak's fleet is on parity with the SLN. Maybe the collapse of the Mandarins. The Lenny Ds will still be in their construction slips. Maybe one or two on builder's trials. Perhaps the individual members of the RF declaring independence.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by cthia   » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:15 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
cthia wrote:If the Lenny Dets and Sharks turn out to be all huff and no puff, all bark and no bite, all ice and no cream, then we may have to end up enduring 1001 annoying threads on what to do with all of the captured MAlign ships. LOL

I think that scenario is a highly malignant notion. As a matter of fact, Harrington may end up being recruited out of retirement to deal with such a formidable foe. Can we say, "The RMN may need Grayson to pull another "Merry Christmas, Wesley?" :lol:

ldwechsler wrote:I think it is unlikely MAlign has that many ships. They've been working on stealth.

I think the upcoming book will see the breaking apart of the Solarian League...although there will be a lot of planets still in it. But more distant worlds and those who would do better without the League will go.

We are more likely to see them in the next arc. After all, it is likely that Haven and Beowulf and even the Andermanni will reasonably get along. So we need an enemy and they are perfect for it.

I agree, in 6 months, we'll get Smoking Frog's withdrawal from the league, with or without a significant fleet engagement. My guess is the precipitating event encouraging all the Sector Governors with delusions of empire to also strike out on their own. Especially since, as far as they know, Rozak's fleet is on parity with the SLN. Maybe the collapse of the Mandarins. The Lenny Ds will still be in their construction slips. Maybe one or two on builder's trials. Perhaps the individual members of the RF declaring independence.

Agreed. I think textev made it clear that they don't have that many ships ready to go now. The captured Malign ships teasing was meant for the next story arc.

However, I think they can magically -- via the magic of quantum tv and story telling, tainted with handwavium -- manage a few ships from an industrious slip for a drive-by shooting or two to close out or cliffhang the upcoming book and cast us into the next story arc.

Where's yalls sense of adventure and respect for the storytelling fairy filled with pixie dust?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by pappilon   » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:29 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

pappilon wrote:I agree, in 6 months, we'll get Smoking Frog's withdrawal from the league, with or without a significant fleet engagement. My guess is the precipitating event encouraging all the Sector Governors with delusions of empire to also strike out on their own. Especially since, as far as they know, Rozak's fleet is on parity with the SLN. Maybe the collapse of the Mandarins. The Lenny Ds will still be in their construction slips. Maybe one or two on builder's trials. Perhaps the individual members of the RF declaring independence.

cthia wrote:Agreed. I think textev made it clear that they don't have that many ships ready to go now. The captured Malign ships teasing was meant for the next story arc.

However, I think they can magically -- via the magic of quantum tv and story telling, tainted with handwavium -- manage a few ships from an industrious slip for a drive-by shooting or two to close out or cliffhang the upcoming book and cast us into the next story arc.

Where's yalls sense of adventure and respect for the storytelling fairy filled with pixie dust?

http://WWW.HonorHarringtonFanFiction,com, of course. :roll: :lol:

Of course there may be one or two working up or in builders trials. But with Albrecht gone, B->G are not going to risk their babies without good reason. Albrecht may have done it for spite, but not the clones. I got no problem with "...the magic of quantum tv and story telling, tainted with handwavium --..." and all, but we are still playing in the real Honorverse.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by Theemile   » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:21 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:

pappilon wrote:I agree, in 6 months, we'll get Smoking Frog's withdrawal from the league, with or without a significant fleet engagement. My guess is the precipitating event encouraging all the Sector Governors with delusions of empire to also strike out on their own. Especially since, as far as they know, Rozak's fleet is on parity with the SLN. Maybe the collapse of the Mandarins. The Lenny Ds will still be in their construction slips. Maybe one or two on builder's trials. Perhaps the individual members of the RF declaring independence.

cthia wrote:Agreed. I think textev made it clear that they don't have that many ships ready to go now. The captured Malign ships teasing was meant for the next story arc.

http://WWW.HonorHarringtonFanFiction,com, of course. :roll: :lol:

Of course there may be one or two working up or in builders trials. But with Albrecht gone, B->G are not going to risk their babies without good reason. Albrecht may have done it for spite, but not the clones. I got no problem with "...the magic of quantum tv and story telling, tainted with handwavium --..." and all, but we are still playing in the real Honorverse.

Actually, we know they are not even close. Remember, the 27 Sharks and ~24 Ghosts were pushed into starting the OB Strike in Fall 1921 because the LD's were not even close to completion, and the hope was to stop the Manty Apollo Python Lump BEFORE it was finished. (which they missed - completely). The Sharks were the test platform for the concept, if an early LD was available, it too would have been used - the Sharks barely carried enough ordinance for the 4 targets and dispersed fields.

Detweiler, in March 1922 visits Darius to celebrate the victory with the returned Spider fleet, and comments on the LD's under construction - none even 1/2 complete, yet each hull already massing as much or more than a Shark (whose mass is given as between a BB and DN in Mass, or between 5 and 5.5 MTons). If we assume a build rate about equal to a standard Havenite yard (which is 20-33% more efficient than a SLN yard, but still not up to Manty first war build rates), A standard 8 Mton SD could be built in 48 months, or a conceptual 12Mton SD in ~72 months.

Assuming the LDs will mass 12 Mtons (>2x5 MTons), a half completed hull (a state none had achieved yet in March 1922) will require 3 years to complete. Throw in the ~6 months to spin up a crew, and we should not be seeing an LD in the field until Fall 1925 - At the earliest. most likely the Fleet will need to spin up as well, pushing operations back to spring/early summer 1926.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:47 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

papillon wrote: http://WWW.HonorHarringtonFanFiction.com, of course. :roll: :lol:

Simply to replace pappilon's link to point to something.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by pappilon   » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:36 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:

papillon wrote: http://WWW.HonorHarringtonFanFiction.com, of course. :roll: :lol:

Didn't realize it would default to a link or I'd a looked it up. Oops.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:00 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

pappilon wrote:Didn't realize it would default to a link or I'd a looked it up. Oops.

Don't sweat it, happens to us all. I am the edit-meister, master, muster, mister. See?

It's just that, if the next and final book of this storyarc does not do something big, or poignant, with the MAlign, I'll feel that the arc is incomplete and left too dangling a thread. I wish the author a long-lived life, but if no more is written after this book, then readers picking up the series in the future will wonder, "What gives?"

The series should be wrapped in an acceptable fashion.

Post by pappilon   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:38 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:It's just that, if the next and final book of this storyarc does not do something big, or poignant, with the MAlign, I'll feel that the arc is incomplete and left too dangling a thread. I wish the author a long-lived life, but if no more is written after this book, then readers picking up the series in the future will wonder, "What gives?"

I wouldn't be holding my breath. Wouldn't be the first time His Celeryship cut and pasted a chapter from one book into another. He could paint us a rather graphic chapter of Michelle and Tourville tearing Mesa apart looking for the MA, then swanning around the universe futilely searching for it. Only to have it found in Chapter 35 of the third book of the next arc.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:00 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
cthia wrote:It's just that, if the next and final book of this storyarc does not do something big, or poignant, with the MAlign, I'll feel that the arc is incomplete and left too dangling a thread. I wish the author a long-lived life, but if no more is written after this book, then readers picking up the series in the future will wonder, "What gives?"

I wouldn't be holding my breath. Wouldn't be the first time His Celeryship cut and pasted a chapter from one book into another. He could paint us a rather graphic chapter of Michelle and Tourville tearing Mesa apart looking for the MA, then swanning around the universe futilely searching for it. Only to have it found in Chapter 35 of the third book of the next arc.

Quite a few people in the forum propose that the MAlign technology is a somewhat empty threat. They believe that the Lenny Dets and Sharks are simply a one-off threat of a one hit wonder that won't compare to the GA. Although I for one do not share this notion that RFC will deliver another foe that is simply cannon fodder for the GA, I suppose it could be true.

However, if it is true that what the MA has sitting unfinished in their building slips and the accompanying tech will fall short of what is needed, then no one else should be more aware of that than the MA themselves. The MA are not as tech green as the SLN. And knowing that they are and will be outclassed even when they complete their ships seems to me an indication that they should go back to the drawing board and or delay the GA's developments as much as they can.

Perhaps another sneak attack by their ships would not be prudent, but that does not mean any other type of an attack isn't. Hence, the projected Beowulf deaths -- for whatever Machiavellian reason like say, the killing of key Manticorans that happen to be in the system causing cataclysmic collateral damage, perhaps, by unleashing the full force of nanite warfare. Or some other unforeseen attack for whatever reasons.

Far into the future when the MA hypers out of hiding offering a new course to humanity, its diplomacy must be supported by force. Diplomacy rolls off the tongue very flat if there is no promise of bite in the words. The support and promise of force gives true meaning to diplomacy.

Which is why I support the notion of a worthy opponent for Harrington's offspring to tame. After all, the MA aren't idiots. On the contrary, they toy with idiots.

Post by drothgery   » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:49 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Yeah, I know I need to finish the next chapters of my stories; I'm not RFC, I get paid for programming, not writing... :D :D :D

Return to Honorverse