Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests

Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...
Post by ldwechsler   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:02 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:
Joat42 wrote:No, but how much do you want to bet that the attack on Beowulf the Mandarins and the SLN are planning is going to have unintended consequences, like cataphracts "going off course" and hitting population centers on the planet?

It's not like the MAlign have their tentacles into Technodyne who makes the missiles or that they hate Beowulf...

I would be shocked, just shocked at that turn of events.

That's the problem with plans especially when you think you're masters of the universe.
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:11 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
Joat42 wrote:No, but how much do you want to bet that the attack on Beowulf the Mandarins and the SLN are planning is going to have unintended consequences, like cataphracts "going off course" and hitting population centers on the planet?

It's not like the MAlign have their tentacles into Technodyne who makes the missiles or that they hate Beowulf...

I would be shocked, just shocked at that turn of events.
ldwechsler wrote:That's the problem with plans especially when you think you're masters of the universe.

Can the Cataphracts be tampered with to target the planet?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by George J. Smith   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:46 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

kzt wrote:I would be shocked, just shocked at that turn of events.

ldwechsler wrote:That's the problem with plans especially when you think you're masters of the universe.

cthia wrote:Can the Cataphracts be tampered with to target the planet?

I would think that it would be possible for a Malign agent to interfere with the programming of the missiles, and to disable the self/auto destruct mechanisms/signals to prevent SLN from destroying the missiles after detecting that they were going off course and heading for the planet.

(hope I managed to split the posts correctly)
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:19 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:

kzt wrote:I would be shocked, just shocked at that turn of events.

cthia wrote:Can the Cataphracts be tampered with to target the planet?

I would think that it would be possible for a Malign agent to interfere with the programming of the missiles, and to disable the self/auto destruct mechanisms/signals to prevent SLN from destroying the missiles after detecting that they were going off course and heading for the planet.

(hope I managed to split the posts correctly)

I didn't think of removing the self/auto destruct mechanism. Uh oh!

Handling Quotes

You did a fine job splitting the posts. For future convenience and reference, you only need to back out the very first quote encountered after hitting reply. Which in your case would have been {quote="cthia"} ...

found in {quote="cthia"}{quote="kzt"}{quote="Joat42"}

Just place the cursor behind {quote="cthia"} and hold the back button until it's gone. Always easy peasy.

Delete {quote="cthia"} from the heading (or whoever's quote is first, then find the matching quote at the bottom and pair it.

In your case it would have been matching the deleted...

{quote="cthia"}

with my matching body...

"Can the Cataphracts be tampered with?"

Which would have become...

{quote="cthia"} Can the Cataphracts be tampered with?{/quote}

It is really easy if you follow this convention, as it works regardless of how long the stream is.

Just remember the name must be inside of quotation marks "cthia" and do remember the end quote symbol -> {/quote}

{ } were substituted for [ ] in order to prevent causing chaos to the system.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Brigade XO   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:47 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

I only have a couple of questions about the whole Green Pines affair.

Is it not something like a terrorist act to plant a nuclear weapon (or demolition device) in a secret installation specificaly built under a major commercial business tower to hide said secret instillation and then use that device to (at any time) to obliterate the commercial tower, particularly if there are any non-combatants in it.
[Ok, the Alignment doesn't consider anybody an actual non-combatant. If they are not Alignment they are "normals" and less than useful animals. If there is the chance the installation is going to be compromised, it is to be destroyed- what is above it is "just camouflage"]

So, Zilwicki disabled the locator beacons on the nuclear "construction demolition charges". Really? Nobody in the government of a planet that has a gigantic slave and Seccie population has any idea where "commercial nuclear demolitions devices" are at any given time? You mean that locator beacons were NOT BROADCASTING WHERE THEY WERE?. So the construction company or the materials supply house that stocked said NUCLEAR DEVICES didn't have some idea that they were no longer where they were supposed to be?
Really?
Some a couple of Seccies waltzed into a storage facility for NUCLEAR DEMOLITION DEVICES and just snuck a couple of them out of what has to be REALLY REALLY SECURE STORAGE and nobody -anybody, everybody, the methead on the gate- didn't have a clue that they were gone?
And if nobody reports them missing (after a regular ....right....inventory check on NUCLEAR DEMOLITION DEVICES....the locator beacons don't are not activated. Somebody has to:
1) Know they are gone.
2) Tell somebody- the boss, the head of thier security, the GOVERNMENT
3) Only then does some person in a cubicle somewhere punch in some long string of numbers and tells the LOCATOR DEVICE on that/those NUCLEAR DEMOLITION DEVICEs to turn on and broad cast where they are....if they aren't in a shielded location which both defeats the command to turn on and the beacon if it happens to activate (like if it has been X time since it was last inventoried and told--nice explosive- just sit here quietly and don't generate a lot of electronic noise that might upset some other part of your software/hardware.

Sure, just an everyday occurance in your average planet that has something like 3 levels of police forces just to deal with and keep on top of the slaves and Seccies not to mention the Planetary PeaceForce. What's a few NUCLEAR DEMOLITION DEVICES in a shed somewhere (well, a warehouse perhaps) for a civilian company that needs some truly massive explosions from time to time to "move dirt".
I don't buy it.
Lets move into Criminal Negligence and about 50 broken laws. Before we get to Zilwiki.
Post by n7axw   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:29 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

They obviously had a different view of nukes than we do. The whole notion of using them as commercial blasting devices on construction sites boggles the mind for us.

In his rumination on the subject, Zilwicke reveals that he retains the ancient horror of nukes, that attitude isn't completely rational since there are other weapons out there even more lethal.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by kzt   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:03 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

“He did it first” is not not usually acceptable by the jury at your trial for mass murder. Nor is “well, the keys were in the ignition” a valid defense after you get arrested for running down a few dozen people in a stolen truck.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:34 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:(hope I managed to split the posts correctly)

cthia wrote:
Handling Quotes

You did a fine job splitting the posts. For future convenience and reference, you only need to back out the very first quote encountered after hitting reply. ...
Just place the cursor behind {quote="cthia"} and hold the back button until it's gone. Always easy peasy.

Delete {quote="cthia"} from the heading (or whoever's quote is first, then find the matching quote at the bottom and pair it.

It's much easier (on windows systems, YMMV with other OS) to:

instead of backspace and delete, hold the shift key and press "home" to highlight the first quote tag (including the brackets); Control-X (to cut the highlight to the clipboard); find the next-to-last "/quote" and place the cursor just behind the trailing bracket; press Control-V (to paste the text cut earlier.)

Repeat for each nested quote -- or even better snip the nested quotes entirely.

This only works where the post you're quoting hasn't broken a single quote into parts (as I often do); descrambling that style requires a different technique and a better understanding of how the quote tags work.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:39 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
George J. Smith wrote:(hope I managed to split the posts correctly)

cthia wrote:
Handling Quotes

You did a fine job splitting the posts. For future convenience and reference, you only need to back out the very first quote encountered after hitting reply. ...

It's much easier (on windows systems, YMMV with other OS) to:

instead of backspace and delete, hold the shift key and press "home" to highlight the first quote tag (including the brackets); Control-X (to cut the highlight to the clipboard); find the next-to-last "/quote" and place the cursor just behind the trailing bracket; press Control-V (to paste the text cut earlier.)

Repeat for each nested quote -- or even better snip the nested quotes entirely.

This only works where the post you're quoting hasn't broken a single quote into parts (as I often do); descrambling that style requires a different technique and a better understanding of how the quote tags work.

I didn't want to give that method because of a few factors. 1) It leaves out the mechanics and understanding of what is actually happening. 2) It assumes operating systems. 3) The method may not work on tablets and phones w/o an actual physical keyboard whereas the home key is a no go. 4) The method I stated is actually much easier once you get the hang of it (certainly on nonstandard messy posts), and it teaches you to handle all sorts of situations, where you'll certainly need in this forum of jury-rigged posts. Jury-rigged with the wrong attributions which has prompted me to begin capitalizing the first letter of my posts to set them apart from misattributed posts. 5) You'll have to fall back on the method I listed anyways on non-standard, wtf-is-this-here, crap.

But I'm glad you listed it for the advanced -- who also use physical keyboards with a home key.

And also for those who have globally reprogrammed the home key. —Miss Jenkins

Post by George J. Smith   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:46 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Brigade XO wrote:I only have a couple of questions about the whole Green Pines affair.

Is it not something like a terrorist act to plant a nuclear weapon (or demolition device) in a secret installation specificaly built under a major commercial business tower to hide said secret instillation and then use that device to (at any time) to obliterate the commercial tower, particularly if there are any non-combatants in it.
[Ok, the Alignment doesn't consider anybody an actual non-combatant. If they are not Alignment they are "normals" and less than useful animals. If there is the chance the installation is going to be compromised, it is to be destroyed- what is above it is "just camouflage"]

So, Zilwicki disabled the locator beacons on the nuclear "construction demolition charges". Really? Nobody in the government of a planet that has a gigantic slave and Seccie population has any idea where "commercial nuclear demolitions devices" are at any given time? You mean that locator beacons were NOT BROADCASTING WHERE THEY WERE?. So the construction company or the materials supply house that stocked said NUCLEAR DEVICES didn't have some idea that they were no longer where they were supposed to be?
Really?
Some a couple of Seccies waltzed into a storage facility for NUCLEAR DEMOLITION DEVICES and just snuck a couple of them out of what has to be REALLY REALLY SECURE STORAGE and nobody -anybody, everybody, the methead on the gate- didn't have a clue that they were gone?
And if nobody reports them missing (after a regular ....right....inventory check on NUCLEAR DEMOLITION DEVICES....the locator beacons don't are not activated. Somebody has to:
1) Know they are gone.
2) Tell somebody- the boss, the head of thier security, the GOVERNMENT
3) Only then does some person in a cubicle somewhere punch in some long string of numbers and tells the LOCATOR DEVICE on that/those NUCLEAR DEMOLITION DEVICEs to turn on and broad cast where they are....if they aren't in a shielded location which both defeats the command to turn on and the beacon if it happens to activate (like if it has been X time since it was last inventoried and told--nice explosive- just sit here quietly and don't generate a lot of electronic noise that might upset some other part of your software/hardware.

Sure, just an everyday occurance in your average planet that has something like 3 levels of police forces just to deal with and keep on top of the slaves and Seccies not to mention the Planetary PeaceForce. What's a few NUCLEAR DEMOLITION DEVICES in a shed somewhere (well, a warehouse perhaps) for a civilian company that needs some truly massive explosions from time to time to "move dirt".
I don't buy it.
Lets move into Criminal Negligence and about 50 broken laws. Before we get to Zilwiki.

Maybe it was the weekend or a public holiday and there was no-one in the office. :lol: :mrgreen:
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah

Return to Honorverse