Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 158 guests

Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Eridani Edict Violation of the most Dismissive Kind...
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:50 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
Brigade XO wrote:I only have a couple of questions about the whole Green Pines affair.

Is it not something like a terrorist act to plant a nuclear weapon (or demolition device) in a secret installation specificaly built under a major commercial business tower to hide said secret instillation and then use that device to (at any time) to obliterate the commercial tower, particularly if there are any non-combatants in it.
[Ok, the Alignment doesn't consider anybody an actual non-combatant. If they are not Alignment they are "normals" and less than useful animals. If there is the chance the installation is going to be compromised, it is to be destroyed- what is above it is "just camouflage"]

So, Zilwicki disabled the locator beacons on the nuclear "construction demolition charges". Really? Nobody in the government of a planet that has a gigantic slave and Seccie population has any idea where "commercial nuclear demolitions devices" are at any given time? You mean that locator beacons were NOT BROADCASTING WHERE THEY WERE?. So the construction company or the materials supply house that stocked said NUCLEAR DEVICES didn't have some idea that they were no longer where they were supposed to be?
Really?
Some a couple of Seccies waltzed into a storage facility for NUCLEAR DEMOLITION DEVICES and just snuck a couple of them out of what has to be REALLY REALLY SECURE STORAGE and nobody -anybody, everybody, the methead on the gate- didn't have a clue that they were gone?
And if nobody reports them missing (after a regular ....right....inventory check on NUCLEAR DEMOLITION DEVICES....the locator beacons don't are not activated. Somebody has to:
1) Know they are gone.
2) Tell somebody- the boss, the head of thier security, the GOVERNMENT
3) Only then does some person in a cubicle somewhere punch in some long string of numbers and tells the LOCATOR DEVICE on that/those NUCLEAR DEMOLITION DEVICEs to turn on and broad cast where they are....if they aren't in a shielded location which both defeats the command to turn on and the beacon if it happens to activate (like if it has been X time since it was last inventoried and told--nice explosive- just sit here quietly and don't generate a lot of electronic noise that might upset some other part of your software/hardware.

Sure, just an everyday occurance in your average planet that has something like 3 levels of police forces just to deal with and keep on top of the slaves and Seccies not to mention the Planetary PeaceForce. What's a few NUCLEAR DEMOLITION DEVICES in a shed somewhere (well, a warehouse perhaps) for a civilian company that needs some truly massive explosions from time to time to "move dirt".
I don't buy it.
Lets move into Criminal Negligence and about 50 broken laws. Before we get to Zilwiki.

Maybe it was the weekend or a public holiday and there was no-one in the office. :lol: :mrgreen:

There were two nukes used. One belonged to the Mesan leadership and was set off by one of their people.

As for the other, chances are the leaders never even thought to look. They thought all the slaves and seccies were not competent at all.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:20 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:They obviously had a different view of nukes than we do. The whole notion of using them as commercial blasting devices on construction sites boggles the mind for us.
To be fair there was a period of ephoria in the 50s when people did think about construction projects using nuclear demolition - such as turning a Siberian river around, blasting out new harbors, or cutting a ground level pass through the Rocky Mountains. In the honorverse where a nuclear demolision charge could be basically hydrogen and a strong single use grav pinch generator there would be even less radioactive material left over from such a blast (and it'd be much more finely tunable - and the top end of these may "only" be the equivalent of 25 - 100 tons of TNT; not the 16,000 tons of the Hiroshima bomb, much less the 50,000,000 of Tsar Bomba)

Still, you'd think the locater beacon would be monitored and trigger a screaming alarm if a) signal was lost, b) the nuke was removed from storage without pre-authorization, c) the nuke departed from it scheduled transport route to the construction site, and finally d) was ever brought into populated areas (that'd be a total separate monitoring system).

Still I wouldn't be surprised if they less this monitoring get overly centralized. And just because the seccies who brought the nukes to the deadly duo were unaware of their locater beacons doesn't mean that the people who actually smuggled the nukes out of storage hadn't hacked whatever automated monitoring system was there to think they were still present.

Still a massive failure of security that the nukes ever made it as far as Anton.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:26 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:There were two nukes used. One belonged to the Mesan leadership and was set off by one of their people.
Three nukes,
In addition to the Gamma Center and Green Pines there was the one set off in an abandoned building, where Anton had hacked the security feeds, to make it look like they got blown up attempting to flee the planet.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:51 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

Brigade XO wrote:I only have a couple of questions about the whole Green Pines affair.

Is it not something like a terrorist act to plant a nuclear weapon (or demolition device) in a secret installation specificaly built under a major commercial business tower to hide said secret instillation and then use that device to (at any time) to obliterate the commercial tower, particularly if there are any non-combatants in it.
[Ok, the Alignment doesn't consider anybody an actual non-combatant. If they are not Alignment they are "normals" and less than useful animals. If there is the chance the installation is going to be compromised, it is to be destroyed- what is above it is "just camouflage"]

So, Zilwicki disabled the locator beacons on the nuclear "construction demolition charges". Really? Nobody in the government of a planet that has a gigantic slave and Seccie population has any idea where "commercial nuclear demolitions devices" are at any given time? You mean that locator beacons were NOT BROADCASTING WHERE THEY WERE?. So the construction company or the materials supply house that stocked said NUCLEAR DEVICES didn't have some idea that they were no longer where they were supposed to be?
Really?
Some a couple of Seccies waltzed into a storage facility for NUCLEAR DEMOLITION DEVICES and just snuck a couple of them out of what has to be REALLY REALLY SECURE STORAGE and nobody -anybody, everybody, the methead on the gate- didn't have a clue that they were gone?
And if nobody reports them missing (after a regular ....right....inventory check on NUCLEAR DEMOLITION DEVICES....the locator beacons don't are not activated. Somebody has to:
1) Know they are gone.
2) Tell somebody- the boss, the head of thier security, the GOVERNMENT
3) Only then does some person in a cubicle somewhere punch in some long string of numbers and tells the LOCATOR DEVICE on that/those NUCLEAR DEMOLITION DEVICEs to turn on and broad cast where they are....if they aren't in a shielded location which both defeats the command to turn on and the beacon if it happens to activate (like if it has been X time since it was last inventoried and told--nice explosive- just sit here quietly and don't generate a lot of electronic noise that might upset some other part of your software/hardware.

Sure, just an everyday occurance in your average planet that has something like 3 levels of police forces just to deal with and keep on top of the slaves and Seccies not to mention the Planetary PeaceForce. What's a few NUCLEAR DEMOLITION DEVICES in a shed somewhere (well, a warehouse perhaps) for a civilian company that needs some truly massive explosions from time to time to "move dirt".
I don't buy it.
Lets move into Criminal Negligence and about 50 broken laws. Before we get to Zilwiki.

Technically speaking, we don't know where all commercial explosives are at any one time, either. We know where they're supposed to be. ;)

If you have lots of small nukes being used for building projects, and if they regard the nukes the same way we currently regard our demolition explosives, then it's entirely possible that the locator beacon would normally only be turned on when either the nuke is supposed to be moved, so it can be tracked from the secure storage facility to the building site, or when someone realises the nuke is missing.

Because otherwise, you have a lot of locator beacons all beeping away telling you that your nuke is in secure storage locker B, just as it's been for the last year, together with twenty other nukes in secure storage lockers A, C, D (etc) as per the last stock take you did in your secure storage facility. And your security staff would be having a heart attack every time the nuke in secure locker B had to be moved to secure locker BBB in the warehouse next door.

Physical stock takes probably happen pretty frequently. As would physical examination of the storage to check that the security hasn't been bypassed.

The question is why the Mesans never seem to have discovered that the nuke was missing - which may suggest that there was some fast paperwork going on, and the nuke(s) in question had been recorded as destroyed.
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:58 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:There were two nukes used. One belonged to the Mesan leadership and was set off by one of their people.
Three nukes,
In addition to the Gamma Center and Green Pines there was the one set off in an abandoned building, where Anton had hacked the security feeds, to make it look like they got blown up attempting to flee the planet.

In Mission of Honor, chapter 5, Detweiler admits that Zilwicki had no knowledge that the nukes would be used. Actually, the seccies the Mesans captured and tortured had no idea that one would be set off.

Remember the one to destroy the abandoned building was not damaging to people. The one at Gamma Center was set off by a Mesan security person. The one in the park by a crazy seccie.

Zilwicki was innocent and even the Detwilers knew it. Shouldn't we accept Det's word?
Post by kzt   » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:54 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I just gave you the car bomb, how could I possibly expect you might really set it off? I took elaborate steps to ensure you wouldn't use it to blow up the preschool you kept talking about blowing up. Namely I told you not to do that, then sent you out on your own to drive around with the car bomb.

How could I possibly be considered responsible for this in any way? Clearly it is really the fault of Ford, who didn't build their vans with anti-car bomb systems and allowed a potential car bomber to buy one.
Post by Joat42   » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:48 am

Joat42
Admiral

kzt wrote:I just gave you the car bomb, how could I possibly expect you might really set it off? I took elaborate steps to ensure you wouldn't use it to blow up the preschool you kept talking about blowing up. Namely I told you not to do that, then sent you out on your own to drive around with the car bomb.

How could I possibly be considered responsible for this in any way? Clearly it is really the fault of Ford, who didn't build their vans with anti-car bomb systems and allowed a potential car bomber to buy one.

Who gave who a bomb again?

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by pappilon   » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:10 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Terrorist is defined as a person having no affiliation to a government agency. I Know, I know, Mesa is convoluted. But the invisible government of Mesa built the Gamma Center and that same government placed the charge. A member of that government that had proper authorization to set off the charge did so. Yeah he had to hack around to make an unauthorized detonation. Yet somehow the Family Detweiller wants to shove the blame to Zilwicki assuming he is dead and, therefore cannot defend himself.

A terrorist attack is the calculated use of of violence (or threat of violence)against civilians in order to attain goals that are political, religious, or ideological in nature.

Zilwicki set off or caused to be set off 2 nuclear devices. We all agree on that. It was not a terrorist attack because 1) it was not political or religious or ideological in nature, it was trying to cover his escape, and (2)also tried to minimize any casualties, not inflict casualties.

Yes the idiot that actually detonated the nuke in the park is guilty of a terrorist attack, it being both ideological and aimed at civilians. You still cannot lay that on Zilwicki except in the strictest"the buck stops here" moral sense. He maybe should have known the kid was unhinged, but even his mates were shocked that he did it. So don't give Anton any Godlike super powers just so you can hang him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Bluesqueak   » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:17 am

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:I just gave you the car bomb, how could I possibly expect you might really set it off? I took elaborate steps to ensure you wouldn't use it to blow up the preschool you kept talking about blowing up. Namely I told you not to do that, then sent you out on your own to drive around with the car bomb.

The problem with this scenario is that it did not happen in the book.

I say again, it did not happen in the book.

Now, if we want to discuss a scenario where Zilwicki steals the nuke, hands it to David, orders him to go plant the bomb despite hearing him say he'd love to blow up somewhere like Green Pines, we can. In fact, I think we have been, for quite some time. But it isn't in the book that David Weber wrote.

In the book he wrote, the Seccie resistance fighters steal the nuke, the Seccie resistance fighters put David in charge of it (despite hearing how he'd love to blow up somewhere like Green Pines),and the Seccie resistance fighters decide to help Anton and Victor escape with the vital information.

Anton's contribution is to remove the locator so that they don't all get captured and provide the group with a set of plans for its detonation that are designed to minimise civilian casualties. Later, he suggests that detonating the bomb would now be pointless, and asks Carl to tell David and Karen to stand down and go to ground.

An enemy agent of a nation at legally declared war with Mesa gives technical advice to a local resistance group. Colour me shocked. ;)

As @Papillion has said, we can't give Zilwicki omniscient powers, or hand him complete control of a group he doesn't have control over, or basically turn him into someone who failed to use his godlike powers to stop a nuclear explosion.

Because, did I mention, the above scenario did not happen in the book? :)
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:01 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Bluesqueak wrote:

The problem with this scenario is that it did not happen in the book.

I say again, it did not happen in the book.

Now, if we want to discuss a scenario where Zilwicki steals the nuke, hands it to David, orders him to go plant the bomb despite hearing him say he'd love to blow up somewhere like Green Pines, we can. In fact, I think we have been, for quite some time. But it isn't in the book that David Weber wrote.

In the book he wrote, the Seccie resistance fighters steal the nuke, the Seccie resistance fighters put David in charge of it (despite hearing how he'd love to blow up somewhere like Green Pines),and the Seccie resistance fighters decide to help Anton and Victor escape with the vital information.

Anton's contribution is to remove the locator so that they don't all get captured and provide the group with a set of plans for its detonation that are designed to minimise civilian casualties. Later, he suggests that detonating the bomb would now be pointless, and asks Carl to tell David and Karen to stand down and go to ground.

An enemy agent of a nation at legally declared war with Mesa gives technical advice to a local resistance group. Colour me shocked. ;)

As @Papillion has said, we can't give Zilwicki omniscient powers, or hand him complete control of a group he doesn't have control over, or basically turn him into someone who failed to use his godlike powers to stop a nuclear explosion.

Because, did I mention, the above scenario did not happen in the book? :)

Unfortunately, there are some people who hate to give anything away to the good guys.

Anton MIGHT have known something about the bomb in the abandoned building. Maybe. And if there were no or few people around the blast would be no more than a large non-nuclear blast.

The Gamma Center's bomb was put in place by MAlign and set off by a Mesan security person.

But it is always the good guys fault.

Do not let it reflect badly on RFC, you benighted souls. Think of why you wish to downgrade heroes. What is there in yourself that calls for it?

Doesn't it remind you of the Manticoran House of Lords who refused Honor Harrington because she shot a man who had an empty gun...after he fired the gun at her?

You are (choose whichever) the Conservatives or Progressives.

Return to Honorverse