Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny, Theemile and 55 guests

[Minor spoiler] Why Włocławek is a bad name for a planet

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: [Minor spoiler] Why Włocławek is a bad name for a plane
Post by cthia   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:58 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

That's a nice fact you pulled out of the hat. I'm certain everyone was looking for something similar. Nice job.
Louis R wrote:I'm confident that we all understand what you're saying. This is indeed a place where a little tiny infodump might be useful, although I must say that any place where Copernicus attended school isn't precisely insignificant.

piotrus wrote:Ha, thanks for showing me I didn't google enough (re: Smoking Frog). Cool. Frankly, before I did some research for this, I never thought much about planet names here, and I hope this thread shows some of us yet another cool aspect of Honorverse :)

And yes, I already acknowledged there are many possible if unlikely in-game explanation for a planet's name. No name is, frankly, impossible.

That's why I pointed to the list of existing names and noted that compared to most other nations (Americans, French, German, Czech, Hungarian, Japanese, and a dozen others I could identify) the first Polish name is Honorverse is, IMHO, uninspiring (pronunciation aside, but even here there are places like Szczebrzeszyn...). Again, comparatively. Am I happy Poles finally got their name? Sure I am. I am just saying that when other Polish fans of the series make the logical comparison - Czechs gets Prague, Brits get Glasgow, French Dijin, German Postdam, Japanese Nagasaki, etc. all of which are major towns, some may be a bit disappointed. Those other names give one an immediate association with another country. Wloclawek, let's face it - no non-Pole will get it without googling. To what degree MWW cares about disappointing or appeasing any Polish audience, I am not sure - I am just trying to say that IMHO (and in that of the other Polish poster I cited) the name is, well, the original poster called it hilarious, and maybe that is what was intended. But again, for some who compare it to others, it may be a tad disappointing. Hopefully most Polish readers will just be happy with the first Polish name in Honorverse, but why not make them more safely happy with a cooler*, more recognizable name?

*cooler for anyone who is not from Wloclawek, of course :)

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by RobThompson   » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:32 pm

RobThompson
Midshipman

I think the author made it pretty clear throughout the series that ethnic origins are pretty much mixed, both on Old Earth and in the Diaspora.

This is two thousand years in the future; two thousand years ago, most of the middle east spoke a dialect from a commercial hub of Persia (Aramaic), Greek was the trade language in the Eastern Mediterranean, and none of the major languages in Europe existed.

In 1000 AD, England had a mix of Danish, Welsh, and Anglo-Saxon; Norse was spoken in Iceland and Norway (Danish was starting to evolve though); Frankish (West Germanic ancestor to Dutch,Flemish,etc) had given way to Old French in the west, while other german dialects (especially Gothic) either died out or merged; a new Swedish set of adventurers set up the beginnings of the Kievian Rus; and the northeast of old Europe was set for the expansion of the largest non-frankish, non-roman empire--the Lithuanian/Polish dynasty which expanded east to Moscow, and south to the Black Sea by the 15th century.

If some idiot in central Asia didn't respond to Mongol attempts to re-open the Silk Road by killing Ghengis Khan's envoys, they wouldn't have come west at all. Lithuanian (or a new language derived of Polish and Lithuanian) would likely have dominated the East (if they had merged their two polities;)instead, today things are quite different.

Two thousand years from now?

I don't think the series is going to be long enough to include every current ethnicity somewhere in text.

Rob

The unforeseen destroys what seems like strong civilizations;
Post by wyrm   » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:09 pm

wyrm
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

From the comments of Polish speakers on this forum, RFC has used good Polish in the novel, suggesting that he has access to a native speaker of the language. Perhaps RFC named the planet after the home town of this individual, as a minor homage?
Post by Maldorian   » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:52 pm

Maldorian
Captain (Junior Grade)

We know how the planets name is, but do you think it is easy to speak?

I wonder if the spacers make the name of the planet short to Wloc or call it Poland or Poland 2, because it´s easier to speak.
Post by Annachie   » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:30 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Aye, at least with the romance languages, us English only speakers, and ESL's for that matter, have a decent chance to work out the pronounciation.

Bring on the audio book.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Louis R   » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:45 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Ha! Don't kid yourself!

The facility with which Anglophones mangle languages is equaled only by their lack of facility in learning them. At best the results come out sounding like an obscure regional dialect - generally one with only 13 native speakers left, none living in the home country.

Mind you, that particular shoe fits rather well on the other foot. I recall one French chap who went on and on about 'la didi'. Took me a good 10 minutes to decipher "Lady Di" :)

Annachie wrote:Aye, at least with the romance languages, us English only speakers, and ESL's for that matter, have a decent chance to work out the pronounciation.

Bring on the audio book.

Post by John Prigent   » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:55 pm

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Speak for yourself, but not for me. I have no problem in pronouncing non-English languages (apart from remembering which of 'ie' and 'ei' is pronounced as 'ee' in German.)
Louis R wrote:Ha! Don't kid yourself! Rather the opposite - locals hear me speaking their language with a local accent and assume that I know more of the vocabulary and grammar than I do. Which can have embarrassing consequences.

Cheers,John

The facility with which Anglophones mangle languages is equaled only by their lack of facility in learning them. At best the results come out sounding like an obscure regional dialect - generally one with only 13 native speakers left, none living in the home country.

Mind you, that particular shoe fits rather well on the other foot. I recall one French chap who went on and on about 'la didi'. Took me a good 10 minutes to decipher "Lady Di" :)

Annachie wrote:Aye, at least with the romance languages, us English only speakers, and ESL's for that matter, have a decent chance to work out the pronounciation.

Bring on the audio book.

Post by Vince   » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:08 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

For the German ie and ei, the way I remember to read and pronounce them is the first vowel is silent, and the second is pronounced as the long strong version. iE, eI.
John Prigent wrote:Speak for yourself, but not for me. I have no problem in pronouncing non-English languages (apart from remembering which of 'ie' and 'ei' is pronounced as 'ee' in German.)
Louis R wrote:Ha! Don't kid yourself! Rather the opposite - locals hear me speaking their language with a local accent and assume that I know more of the vocabulary and grammar than I do. Which can have embarrassing consequences.

Cheers,John

-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by John Prigent   » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:48 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Ahah! Thanks Vince, that is a useful idea - which I shall try to remember. It may explain why some German-speakers have problems with English words like 'frieze' and 'neither' which go the other way.

Cheers, John

[quote="Vince"]For the German ie and ei, the way I remember to read and pronounce them is the first vowel is silent, and the second is pronounced as the long strong version. iE, eI.[quote="John Prigent"]Speak for yourself, but not for me. I have no problem in pronouncing non-English languages (apart from remembering which of 'ie' and 'ei' is pronounced as 'ee' in German.) [quote="Louis R"]Ha! Don't kid yourself! Rather the opposite - locals hear me speaking their language with a local accent and assume that I know more of the vocabulary and grammar than I do. Which can have embarrassing consequences.

Cheers,John
Post by cthia   » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:44 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

My niece is so funny...

"The name of the planet will only prompt unworldly Americans to mistreat its pronunciation just like they do 'Worchestire' sauce. My bff's dad calls it 'What's this here' sauce." LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse