Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 132 guests

[Minor spoiler] Why Włocławek is a bad name for a planet

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: [Minor spoiler] Why Włocławek is a bad name for a plane
Post by Louis R   » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:12 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

both of which are pronounced with the long e, of course :D

[quote="John Prigent"]Ahah! Thanks Vince, that is a useful idea - which I shall try to remember. It may explain why some German-speakers have problems with English words like 'frieze' and 'neither' which go the other way.

Cheers, John
Post by Annachie   » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:43 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:My niece is so funny...

"The name of the planet will only prompt unworldly Americans to mistreat its pronunciation just like they do 'Worchestire' sauce. My bff's dad calls it 'What's this here' sauce." LOL

We just call it Wooster.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Vince   » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:03 am

Vince
Vice Admiral

Louis R wrote:both of which are pronounced with the long e, of course :D

John Prigent wrote:Ahah! Thanks Vince, that is a useful idea - which I shall try to remember. It may explain why some German-speakers have problems with English words like 'frieze' and 'neither' which go the other way.

Cheers, John

Frieze in English is pronounced correctly with the long e, but neither can be pronounced correctly with either* the long e, or the long i.

* Which can also be pronounced correctly with the long e or the long i.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by John Prigent   » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:45 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Correct! Which is why I chose those examples - just to confuse Americans :lol: . Incidentally, 'Woostersheer' is the correct way to pronounce 'Worcestershire'. And you really don't want to get involved with English pronunciations of old surnames!

Cheers, John

Vince wrote:
Louis R wrote:both of which are pronounced with the long e, of course :D

/quote]
Frieze in English is pronounced correctly with the long e, but neither can be pronounced correctly with either* the long e, or the long i.

* Which can also be pronounced correctly with the long e or the long i.
Post by cthia   » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:41 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

John Prigent wrote:Correct! Which is why I chose those examples - just to confuse Americans :lol: . Incidentally, 'Woostersheer' is the correct way to pronounce 'Worcestershire'. And you really don't want to get involved with English pronunciations of old surnames!

Cheers, John

Woostersher is also correct John. I admit to mangling it as well as anyone else until I visited the town of the same name in England. Back in 1998 when they split from their neighboring town of Herefordshire, I attended a friend's wedding there. It was referred to as Herford and Wooster. Much as the two cities of Winston and Salem in North Carolina merged into Winston-Salem.

I've heard the sauce shortened to Wooster before, as Annachie says. My point is that traveling is what schooled me. Hence, my niece's remark about unworldly Americans. :roll:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by John Prigent   » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:21 pm

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Good for you, Cthia! Now, are you a sufficiently worldly American to know how the surname of one of my old schoolmasters, 'Marjoribanks', is pronounced?

Cheers, John

cthia wrote:
John Prigent wrote:Correct! Which is why I chose those examples - just to confuse Americans :lol: . Incidentally, 'Woostersheer' is the correct way to pronounce 'Worcestershire'. And you really don't want to get involved with English pronunciations of old surnames!

Cheers, John

Woostersher is also correct John. I admit to mangling it as well as anyone else until I visited the town of the same name in England. Back in 1998 when they split from their neighboring town of Herefordshire, I attended a friend's wedding there. It was referred to as Herford and Wooster. Much as the two cities of Winston and Salem in North Carolina merged into Winston-Salem.

I've heard the sauce shortened to Wooster before, as Annachie says. My point is that traveling is what schooled me. Hence, my niece's remark about unworldly Americans. :roll:
Post by cthia   » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:50 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Is it Marshbanks? :lol:

I didn't know it John. My niece is visiting. She spilled the beans.

During my stay in California, I was confronted with the name Beauchamp. Which I pronounced Bowchamp. Everyone looked at me rather humorously. It is Beechum. My wife says Forcester is Foster. Many people mispronounce Camp Lejeune as LeJune. It is LeZhern.

John Prigent wrote:Good for you, Cthia! Now, are you a sufficiently worldly American to know how the surname of one of my old schoolmasters, 'Marjoribanks', is pronounced?

Cheers, John
cthia wrote:

Cheers, John

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Vince   » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:49 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:Is it Marshbanks? :lol:

During my stay in California, I was confronted with the name Beauchamp. Which I pronounced Bowchamp. Everyone looked at me rather humorously. It is Beechum. My wife says Forcester is Foster. Many people mispronounce Camp Lejeune as LeJune. It is LeZhern.

Which I suspect would be pronounced as Lejern on Safehold. And probably spelled Lyzhyrn.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:14 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

John, have you ever heard of locals pronouncing Herefordshire and Worcestershire as Herf and Woost inside social circles? I have. But it is something peculiar. My wife explained it to me. People from Wooster are quick to shorten it to Herf and Woost. But people from Herefordshire aren't. Social sense of pecking order?

John Prigent wrote:Good for you, Cthia! Now, are you a sufficiently worldly American to know how the surname of one of my old schoolmasters, 'Marjoribanks', is pronounced?

Cheers, John
cthia wrote:

Cheers, John

Post by WeirdlyWired   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:20 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Vince wrote:

Which I suspect would be pronounced as Lejern on Safehold. And probably spelled Lyzhyrn.

If Worchester is pronounced Wooster, why isn't Dorchester pronounced Dooster?

Try Meaux (hint short for mayonaisse), Hebert (just one critter with a rifle), Latiolais, St. Cyr, and all the weird names in my family tree.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.

Return to Honorverse