Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 28 guests

Who is each character's real world analog?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Who is each character's real world analog?
Post by Morphy1701   » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:37 pm

Morphy1701
Midshipman

zuluwiz wrote:Looking at this from the other direction, who is the analog for Raymond Spruance? Plucked from obscurity and named to Halsey's command for Midway, he did more than could be reasonably asked as a high commander, winning the battle hands down. So which character relates to Spruance?

Scotty Tremaine?
Lizard in the sun...
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:58 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Morphy1701 wrote:
zuluwiz wrote:Looking at this from the other direction, who is the analog for Raymond Spruance? Plucked from obscurity and named to Halsey's command for Midway, he did more than could be reasonably asked as a high commander, winning the battle hands down. So which character relates to Spruance?

Scotty Tremaine?

Alaster was the one who was going nowhere till Honor came into the picture.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Morphy1701   » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:10 pm

Morphy1701
Midshipman

I know he's not Navy, but I kinda see George S. Patton as Hamish Alexander's analog. I can even see Hamish carrying around a riding crop like Patton did. Thoughts?
Lizard in the sun...
Post by saber964   » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:30 pm

saber964
Admiral

Morphy1701 wrote:I know he's not Navy, but I kinda see George S. Patton as Hamish Alexander's analog. I can even see Hamish carrying around a riding crop like Patton did. Thoughts?

No Patton was not known for carrying a riding crop, he was known for carrying two pistols at all times. IIRC one was a bone handled Colt .45 Peacemaker and a Colt .45 ACP.
Post by Morphy1701   » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:10 am

Morphy1701
Midshipman

saber964 wrote:
Morphy1701 wrote:I know he's not Navy, but I kinda see George S. Patton as Hamish Alexander's analog. I can even see Hamish carrying around a riding crop like Patton did. Thoughts?

No Patton was not known for carrying a riding crop, he was known for carrying two pistols at all times. IIRC one was a bone handled Colt .45 Peacemaker and a Colt .45 ACP.

He did, indeed, carry both pistols on his hips, but he is also known for carrying a "swagger stick" which apparently also contained a concealed blade.
Lizard in the sun...
Post by Tenshinai   » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:16 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Ugh... Alexander is supposed to be highly competent. While Patton competes for being on the top 10 overrated generals list.

Patton was also very much of a "future of warfare", even if he wasn´t nearly as good at it as he thought he was, Alexander, for all his good sides is quite a lot of a stick in the mud conservative.

I think field marshal Alan Brooke´s comment on Patton is fairly decent: "A dashing, courageous, wild and unbalanced leader, good for operations requiring thrust and push but at a loss in any operation requiring skill and judgment.".

If you look at who he is compared to historically, well, he had something like 20 to a 100 times better odds than Guderian did, yet managed less. So i really have trouble considering him "highly competent".

Ergo, trying to make him an analog of Hamish, no, just NO.
Post by Morphy1701   » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:31 am

Morphy1701
Midshipman

Tenshinai wrote:

Ugh... Alexander is supposed to be highly competent. While Patton competes for being on the top 10 overrated generals list.

Patton was also very much of a "future of warfare", even if he wasn´t nearly as good at it as he thought he was, Alexander, for all his good sides is quite a lot of a stick in the mud conservative.

I think field marshal Alan Brooke´s comment on Patton is fairly decent: "A dashing, courageous, wild and unbalanced leader, good for operations requiring thrust and push but at a loss in any operation requiring skill and judgment.".

If you look at who he is compared to historically, well, he had something like 20 to a 100 times better odds than Guderian did, yet managed less. So i really have trouble considering him "highly competent".

Ergo, trying to make him an analog of Hamish, no, just NO.

Hmmm... fair enough. Rommel maybe for Hamish. I want to say Eisenhower, but I think Caparelli more resembles him. Although certainly a better tactician than Patton, Lester Tourville certainly fits the brashness bill!

Upon further reflection, Hamish reflects a lot of the personality traits of Admiral Halsey. Aggressive and and a believer that the best defense is a good offense. The only caveat would be Hamish's early disdain for LAC's, where Halsey used carriers and their aircraft to their best abilities.

Side note: as an analog of the Salamander herself... Admiral Yi Sun Shin of Korea. Never defeated even against insurmountable odds. Granted, he cut his teeth as a General on dry land, but still, his record is astounding.
Lizard in the sun...
Post by Tenshinai   » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:56 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Hmmm... fair enough. Rommel maybe for Hamish.

Hmm naah, but now that i think about it, Rommel is actually not such a bad analog for Honor herself. Beating insane odds with ridiculously daring and inventive ideas? Yeah, applies to both of them.
Also both with personal codes of conduct of the better kind.

It might also be added that while most attention is on his WWII career, personally i find his antics during WWI much more interesting. Especially those where his own, often caustic and selfcritical, comments can be found.

Upon further reflection, Hamish reflects a lot of the personality traits of Admiral Halsey.

Mmm, possibly.

Side note: as an analog of the Salamander herself... Admiral Yi Sun Shin of Korea. Never defeated even against insurmountable odds. Granted, he cut his teeth as a General on dry land, but still, his record is astounding.

A decent enough comparison probably.

Return to Honorverse