Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 45 guests

Hacking 2000 years from now...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Hacking 2000 years from now...
Post by Annachie   » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:44 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

pnakasone wrote:
cthia wrote:DoD should scrap everything they have now and start anew. They should proceed as if rats are in their system at the very moment. Once your system has been compromised and the infiltrators are allowed to roam your system unchecked for years. Trash it!

That costs a huge of amount of time and money. The people who control the budget do not want to pay for it no matter how much sense it would make,

They'd rather spend money on flashy things that look good in photo ops.
Politicians are basically attention whores no matter what their political affiliations.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by cthia   » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:28 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Religious humor...

If there was a God and He could be hacked you'd find one of two things...

1. It was completely unnecessary as you were already in the system.
2. You are not in the system. Followed by a blue screen of death.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:20 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Vince wrote:
cthia wrote:2000 years from now. hacking will have become so sophisticated that not even the human brain will be safe.

See MAlign and nanite. Some of our brains already show signs of being hacked.

There is the possibility that your chances of getting Alzheimer's may be increased by the herpes simplex virus (the type that causes cold sores). So yes, our brains might being hacked right now. Since the rest of our bodies' organs are under attack from diseases and other substances (carcinogens), why should our brains be exempt?

A virus that wipes out memory. Go figure.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Annachie   » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:40 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Watching Westworld, the TV series, and realize the premis of the show is a computer program with memory leaks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by aairfccha   » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:21 am

aairfccha
Commander

Vince wrote:There is the possibility that your chances of getting Alzheimer's may be increased by the herpes simplex virus (the type that causes cold sores). So yes, our brains might being hacked right now.
Possibility? That's part of the the reproduction strategy of Toxoplasma Gondii! Granted, it is actually aimed at rodents but it affects humans as well.
Post by pnakasone   » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:53 pm

pnakasone
Captain of the List

Annachie wrote:Watching Westworld, the TV series, and realize the premis of the show is a computer program with memory leaks.

One issue is as far as we can tell their is no cost effective way to erase data from computer memory beyond the point it can not be recovered with the right equipment and software.

They only sure way to make data unrecoverable from computer storage media is to completely destroy the storage media.
Post by George J. Smith   » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:09 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

pnakasone wrote:
Annachie wrote:Watching Westworld, the TV series, and realize the premis of the show is a computer program with memory leaks.

One issue is as far as we can tell their is no cost effective way to erase data from computer memory beyond the point it can not be recovered with the right equipment and software.

They only sure way to make data unrecoverable from computer storage media is to completely destroy the storage media.

That is more or less saying that incremental overwriting, even up to 10X, will still leave previous data recoverable.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by pnakasone   » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:47 pm

pnakasone
Captain of the List

George J. Smith wrote:That is more or less saying that incremental overwriting, even up to 10X, will still leave previous data recoverable.

They have recovered usable data from HD that have under gone levels of overwriting and reformatting that you would swear should not leave any recoverable data.
Post by Tenshinai   » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:31 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

pnakasone wrote:
George J. Smith wrote:That is more or less saying that incremental overwriting, even up to 10X, will still leave previous data recoverable.

They have recovered usable data from HD that have under gone levels of overwriting and reformatting that you would swear should not leave any recoverable data.

It should be noted though, that this has become increasingly more difficult over time, due to HDDs write precision improving greatly along with data density.

Essentially if you take a 20 year old HDD, every time it overwrites each bit, it almost never does so exactly on top of the previously written bit in the same place, leaving a slightly offset shadow, this is obvious enough that in many cases, software alone can recover several of these previous writes and even distinguish properly which bits belong together.

Now, with increased data density, the write heads precision have been forced to improve a LOT, so it tends to get more and more difficult to read previous writes because they overlap more and more exactly.
Post by pnakasone   » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:38 pm

pnakasone
Captain of the List

Tenshinai wrote:
It should be noted though, that this has become increasingly more difficult over time, due to HDDs write precision improving greatly along with data density.

Essentially if you take a 20 year old HDD, every time it overwrites each bit, it almost never does so exactly on top of the previously written bit in the same place, leaving a slightly offset shadow, this is obvious enough that in many cases, software alone can recover several of these previous writes and even distinguish properly which bits belong together.

Now, with increased data density, the write heads precision have been forced to improve a LOT, so it tends to get more and more difficult to read previous writes because they overlap more and more exactly.

Considering what can be a stake their is incentive for people to develop better tools to recover data. A few years from now what is unrecoverable will be recoverable with the right tools.

Return to Honorverse