Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 148 guests

war gaming programs/shipbuilding sub programs

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
war gaming programs/shipbuilding sub programs
Post by hairbear541   » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:23 am

hairbear541
Ensign

hello , once again...just wondering if anyone here has designed and put together a workable program for the design and building of warships and such for use in the honorverse . being an avid war gamer i have picked up rick raisley's battletech programs from the heavymetal site . i would prefer to have programs designed for a particular universe(honorverse) than try and adapt them from another .
thank you for your time
no red herrons were included
Re: war gaming programs/shipbuilding sub programs
Post by Duckk   » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:28 am

Duckk
Site Admin

Battletech has well known published construction rules; the Honorverse does not. Battletech also abstracts a lot of differences between systems - a Kali Yama Gauss Rifle is effectively the same as a Blackwell Gauss Rifle. Honorverse systems tend to vary even from subgeneration to subgeneration.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Somtaaw   » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:00 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

What duck said primarily. However, the program EFT (EVE Fitting Tool) is probably closest in what you're looking for, while taking Duckk's comments into account. Weapons on EVE have wildly different performance statistics based loosely on meta level, but also lets you cram a ship right upto the absolute limits of performance.

However, there's also a LOT of missing information on Honorverse ships. Particularly in regards to power generation & consumption.

How much power, EXACTLY, does a Goshawk 3 fusion plant generate compared to the smaller, higher performing (and safer) Goshawk 4's for example.

How much power does a pre-Grayson battlecruiser firing cruiser grasers require compared to a post-Grayson battlecruiser firing superdreadnought grasers need?

What information we know is primarily on ship speeds, ship tonnages, and missile performance. Not enough for a experimental fitting program as you're proposing/requesting needs to be useful, unfortunately.
Post by Rawb   » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:57 pm

Rawb
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

There's probably a lot of useful figures in Saganami Island Tactical Simulator. I'd check that out.
Post by Theemile   » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:58 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Rawb wrote:There's probably a lot of useful figures in Saganami Island Tactical Simulator. I'd check that out.

Unfortunately, no. It just gives the ship stats, in a little more detail than HoS, but still in a very limited way. There is no set of Ship construction rules. As was mentioned above, A large laser is not just a large laser. A Manticorian 23cm laser is an entirely different beast from a Havenite 23cm laser, a Solarian 23cm laser, and a Silesian 23 cm laser.

For example in one of the SITS sourcebooks, it gives an account of a Manty Chanson (?) DD battling a Silesian Heavy Cruiser in Pirate hands. The battle ended in an running energy battle. The Energy battery of the CA was about the same as the Manty DD - of course that is because a Silesian laser is so much more massive than the Manty one, that it takes a CA to mount what a Manty DD can. In the end, the mangled Manty DESTROYER won.

Even the date of build will effect the size and capabilities - one Avalon can easily beat 2 Chansons, and 1 Roland can easily beat 2 Avalons. So it would be a very massive construction matrix.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by hairbear541   » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:23 pm

hairbear541
Ensign

thanks , guys for the feed back . was just wondering if someone here had come up with a workable program for the honorverse yet .
as far as battletech goes there quite a few glitchs in their usage of rules, ie...tacops vs stratops and about 4 more different rule sets . this all leads to much confusion to beginner player . which rule set to use . guess i'll just have to wait till the guys at bu9 get around to putting such a program together .
Post by lyonheart   » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:50 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Hairbear541,

RFC posted years ago at the bar that a 8.5 M ton SD took about a hundred weeks to complete during the peak of the N/C surge, while a 85,000 ton Chanson DD took 15, despite being only 1% the size, due to the SD's rather larger sub assemblies and the time to grow the nanite composed armor etc.

From that I suggested that the 120-135 K ton light cruisers [the latter figure from THotQ, the first from the TSVW appendix] to around 20 weeks, while the heavy Cruisers [flight two Star Knights at 325 K tons from the end of OBS, THotQ, and TSVW appendix] took 25 maybe 30, with the 878+ K ton battlecruisers taking around 50.

I also suggested there were probably around 28 combined building slips for each class among the hundreds aboard the SKM's 3 major space stations, smaller building slips that couldn't build SD's etc [according to HiE, the RMN stopped ordering DN's when the war started].

RFC's reaction mainly took umbrage with the vast numbers of smaller units I suggested were thus possible, even to stating most if not all smaller units [aside from battlecruisers] construction had been suspended due the unavailability of building slips, which surprised me since all three were centuries old and there were probably a number too small to build SD's but had been big enough for BB's before king Roger retired all of them, besides tailor made smaller construction ways for the lesser units.

In more recent posts here, RFC has hinted that the Sag-C CA's take about or almost the same time than the Star Knights did without getting more specific than that, while the BCP's took over 60 weeks and the Nike BC's took ~72-75.

I hope that helps and if you can scale that to some algorithm feel free to share it with the rest of us. ;)

L

hairbear541 wrote:thanks , guys for the feed back . was just wondering if someone here had come up with a workable program for the honorverse yet .
as far as battletech goes there quite a few glitchs in their usage of rules, ie...tacops vs stratops and about 4 more different rule sets . this all leads to much confusion to beginner player . which rule set to use . guess i'll just have to wait till the guys at bu9 get around to putting such a program together .
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Theemile   » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:37 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi Hairbear541,

RFC posted years ago at the bar that a 8.5 M ton SD took about a hundred weeks to complete during the peak of the N/C surge, while a 85,000 ton Chanson DD took 15, despite being only 1% the size, due to the SD's rather larger sub assemblies and the time to grow the nanite composed armor etc.

From that I suggested that the 120-135 K ton light cruisers [the latter figure from THotQ, the first from the TSVW appendix] to around 20 weeks, while the heavy Cruisers [flight two Star Knights at 325 K tons from the end of OBS, THotQ, and TSVW appendix] took 25 maybe 30, with the 878+ K ton battlecruisers taking around 50.

I also suggested there were probably around 28 combined building slips for each class among the hundreds aboard the SKM's 3 major space stations, smaller building slips that couldn't build SD's etc [according to HiE, the RMN stopped ordering DN's when the war started].

RFC's reaction mainly took umbrage with the vast numbers of smaller units I suggested were thus possible, even to stating most if not all smaller units [aside from battlecruisers] construction had been suspended due the unavailability of building slips, which surprised me since all three were centuries old and there were probably a number too small to build SD's but had been big enough for BB's before king Roger retired all of them, besides tailor made smaller construction ways for the lesser units.

In more recent posts here, RFC has hinted that the Sag-C CA's take about or almost the same time than the Star Knights did without getting more specific than that, while the BCP's took over 60 weeks and the Nike BC's took ~72-75.

I hope that helps and if you can scale that to some algorithm feel free to share it with the rest of us. ;)

L

hairbear541 wrote:thanks , guys for the feed back . was just wondering if someone here had come up with a workable program for the honorverse yet .

As Lyonhart mentioned, over the years, DW has mentioned some build times. Manticore has always been horribly efficient compared to everyone else and had ramped to near insane heights before Oyster Bay.

In the Last info dump on the Topic, DW mentioned that an SD(p) took ~20 months to complete at Manticore just before OB, and SD would have taken ~24 Months. Grayson was about 20% less efficient, taking about 24 months for an SD(p) in a dispersed yard.

Meanwhile, Haven at Bolthole had achieved the build speeds Manticore enjoyed in 1905 at the start of the 1st war, or ~36 months for an SD(p), while their traditional hard yards and their "modular" build practices are still around 48 months for an SD(p).

Solar League is slower still, not because of technology limitations, but because all the shipyards are in a mode which retains trained techs and technology while still building a few ships. There are 6 SD class shipyards building for the SLN, and each takes 60-72 months to build a ship. As mentioned, this process is by design inefficient, and can probably be compressed, probably more by the ability to have more simultaneous builds for the given resources than compressing the build time.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse