Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 127 guests

I have great new idea about what to do with the SLN SDs

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
I have great new idea about what to do with the SLN SDs
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:35 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

NO YOU DON'T

Before you decide to post your great new idea read all of the posts in the following chains

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8207
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7063
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5494

There are probably other topics I haven't found, but these constitute 1334 posts (to date - one of the threads is still active, so that count will probably still rise.

We really do NOT need to revisit this topic again (and again (and again)).
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Re: I have great new idea about what to do with the SLN SDs
Post by npadln   » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:05 pm

npadln
Commander

fallsfromtrees wrote:NO YOU DON'T

Before you decide to post your great new idea read all of the posts in the following chains

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8207
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7063
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5494

There are probably other topics I haven't found, but these constitute 1334 posts (to date - one of the threads is still active, so that count will probably still rise.

We really do NOT need to revisit this topic again (and again (and again)).

Somehow I knew this was coming. 8-)
Post by munroburton   » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:40 am

munroburton
Admiral

You'd have to go back to 2012(ART) to find the first threads. Or maybe 2009(SftS).

The forums only go back to 2010. The oldest thread I found is on page 155.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1171

And the second of two hundred replies even back then...

nrellis - Jan 30, 2011 wrote:Here we go again ... more wild ideas about using the SLN dreadnoughts (lets face it they are dreadnoughts not SDs).

Heh, so people were already weary of the ideas a year before Filareta's fleet fell into GA hands.

Face it, this battle was lost when RFC didn't write in Admiral Gold Peak ordering all the captured ships to be scuttled after the PoWs were disembarked. Perhaps even then, it'd only mean threads like "Why scuttled? Such waste! Many possible uses..."

The one thing we do know is those threads generate a healthy quantity of posts - a debating gym, if you like.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:43 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:You'd have to go back to 2012(ART) to find the first threads. Or maybe 2009(SftS).

The forums only go back to 2010. The oldest thread I found is on page 155.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1171

And the second of two hundred replies even back then...

nrellis - Jan 30, 2011 wrote:Here we go again ... more wild ideas about using the SLN dreadnoughts (lets face it they are dreadnoughts not SDs).

Heh, so people were already weary of the ideas a year before Filareta's fleet fell into GA hands.

Yes, because before his fleet it was bright ideas on how to use Crandall's fleet. And even before that endless threads on putting the Havenite SD(P)s, surrendered at the end of the Battle of Manticore, into RMN service. Those stated right after the eARC of At All Costs came out. So some level of argument over captured ships has been simmering in threads here and on Baen's bar for over a decade!. :D
Post by drothgery   » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:12 am

drothgery
Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:So some level of argument over captured ships has been simmering in threads here and on Baen's bar for over a decade!. :D

I sometimes wonder if RFC wishes he'd had the captured Havenite ships from SVW fed to the recycler ...
Post by MuonNeutrino   » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:22 pm

MuonNeutrino
Commander

Can we have this as a sticky thread with a title something along the lines of "READ THIS before you post about the captured Solly SDs", please? This particular equine is so deceased it's starting to get compressed into oil.
Post by munroburton   » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:37 pm

munroburton
Admiral

MuonNeutrino wrote:Can we have this as a sticky thread with a title something along the lines of "READ THIS before you post about the captured Solly SDs", please? This particular equine is so deceased it's starting to get compressed into oil.

They'll still post every now and then. The problem is those captured Solly ships are currently loose ends, unlike these Havenite SD(P)s Jonathan mentioned - they were handed back to the RoH sometime in MoH and that was pretty much the end of those discussions.

Until and unless a scene in the last book disposes of them, the poor horse is immortal, condemned to perpetual torture.

There's probably a real life parallel to be found with the German fleet after WW1. It sat in Scapa Flow whilst the Allies argued how to dispose of it until the German commander made that decision for them.
Post by wkernochan   » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:44 pm

wkernochan
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I'm sorry, they won't fit in that particular orifice :)
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:16 pm

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

munroburton wrote:[snip]... The problem is those captured Solly ships are currently loose ends, unlike these Havenite SD(P)s Jonathan mentioned - they were handed back to the RoH sometime in MoH and that was pretty much the end of those discussions.[snip]...

At least the Havenite ships could have served a useful purpose in conveying all those poor Havenite POWs back home after a peace treaty. yes, the SLN ships could have done the same, but peace with the Solaran League is just so far over the horizon from Second Manticore. (or is it 2nd and 3rd?). But The War with Haven was effectively over. :lol: :lol: :roll:
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by DeltaV   » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:30 pm

DeltaV
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

It should be obvious to everyone by now that the survival of these wallers and the debate over their ultimate fate is quite simply the final and best trump card of the Alignment.

How so? The very debate that is taking place on these forums is secretly taking place among Elizabeth, Hamish, Honor and at all levels of the government. It has become the "Pokemon Go" of Manticore. Every day someone attempts to come up with a new plan for how to best utilize these ships.

This debate will, unfortunately, completely tie up all aspects of Manticore's government for years and will allow the Solarian Leauge to catch up in the tech race and begin building THOUSANDS of Apollo capable SD(P) that are also equipped with long-range grav lances that will completely overwhelm the Alliance.

This also has the effect of buying the Alignment plenty of breathing room to be able to advance their own tech to the point that they are mass producing Spider drive pod layers crewed by cloned zombie treecats that will bend the universe totally to their will.

All because of a few captured obsolete ships...

Return to Honorverse