Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 79 guests

Honorverse Deaths

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse Deaths
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:20 pm

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Somtaaw wrote:Terekhov's situation was completely different, there's no comparison, he failed in the previous war, smashed the same class that defeated him, THEN went on to the moment he needed approval. Look at his sef-confidence issues, he'd outright admitted he'd had them to his Exec after hammering the Mars cruiser that he did it because of his demons. And look at how he had still been waking in nightmares of his immediate prior experience in command of a Queens ship... if he'd lost in Nuncio, he'd have been just as broken. He wouldn't have suicided over it, but he'd never again command a ship.

If Terekhov had lost at Nuncio he would not have remained broken, at the range he chose to engage, he would have been dead...along with the Nasty Kitty and crew. Well, except, of course, for Abigail's tiny detachment. But taking on the Haven ship is as much a duel as HH taking on Denver Summervale. And a loss would have been equally instantaneousl fatal.

Have no Idea that he failed any more than HH "failed" when Tourville captured her. There is no mention of Hyacinth as anything, I can't even find it on the star maps in my books. Anything besides Terekhov's memories at the beginning of SoS.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by Somtaaw   » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:27 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

[quote="WeirdlyWired"There is no mention of Hyacinth as anything, I can't even find it on the star maps in my books. Anything besides Terekhov's memories at the beginning of SoS.[/quote]

That's all it was, a flashback memory in SoS, which from the rest of the book we found out happened, more or less simultaneously with Operation Buttercup, somewhere just prior to when Oscar Saint-Just sent his surrender and "talks" request out.

Off-hand, I'd actually put Hyacinth as some useless Havenite system actually. Instead of a system more between the official Havenite frontier and the Manticoran Alliance, which is why there'd never been a previous battle there, to our knowledge. It had been taken during Buttercup, and the only reason they'd been there at all, was to setup some form of advanced repair and reload outpost/base there. So it had to be fairly deep in Havenite territory, probably not all that far from Lovat, Solon and Haven herself.
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:06 pm

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Somtaaw wrote:Off-hand, I'd actually put Hyacinth as some useless Havenite system actually. Instead of a system more between the official Havenite frontier and the Manticoran Alliance, which is why there'd never been a previous battle there, to our knowledge. It had been taken during Buttercup, and the only reason they'd been there at all, was to setup some form of advanced repair and reload outpost/base there. So it had to be fairly deep in Havenite territory, probably not all that far from Lovat, Solon and Haven herself.

Yes, that's the sense I got. Coming all dumb and happy over the hyperwall directly into a line of peep BCs lying doggo. Losing ships fighting off the wolf pack. Seeing yourself as the very modern model of Saganami. And, yet despite the nightmaes, despite the panic as he is putting on his uniform, he never hesitates, never stumbles.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by cthia   » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:49 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Death has to be painful for many species on Earth and probably abroad, in the Honorverse, as well. Within the human species, the loss of a loved one can make the survivors feel like they're dying themselves. Treecat deaths has to be orders of magnitude more painful. What readily comes to mind is the dreaded pain from Klingon disruptors -- such a cruel and inhumane way to die. So, any treecat death was rather hard for me to take. Heck, just being heartbroken in my formative years used to make me crawl up in a treecat-like ball and wallow in my own Poe-like despair awaiting death.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Amaroq   » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:33 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

Just found this topic while scrolling through the forum. I'm going to have to go way back to OBS for the first death of a known character that really hit me: Lt. Cmdr.(Chief Engineer of HMS Fearless) Dominica Santos.

Steadily starts to respect Honor, was the first to call her Skipper, and always had celery for Nimitz. During the battle with Sirius she and her department busted their butts to keep the ship functional through horrific damage. Then she sacrificed herself to eject the failing fusion plant that would've vaporized the ship from the inside. Damn shame. She was the death I regretted the most when I was done reading that book.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by cthia   » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:17 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Amaroq wrote:Just found this topic while scrolling through the forum. I'm going to have to go way back to OBS for the first death of a known character that really hit me: Lt. Cmdr.(Chief Engineer of HMS Fearless) Dominica Santos.

Steadily starts to respect Honor, was the first to call her Skipper, and always had celery for Nimitz. During the battle with Sirius she and her department busted their butts to keep the ship functional through horrific damage. Then she sacrificed herself to eject the failing fusion plant that would've vaporized the ship from the inside. Damn shame. She was the death I regretted the most when I was done reading that book.

Yes, that was a particularly emotional death. That entire crew grew to respect Honor greatly. And even then I think would have followed her to Hell.

Dominica was also poised to make good reading in the series. She came across as a very accomplished engineer. She could have become Honor's Scotty.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Rincewind   » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:48 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

How about these three for ones who made an impact even though they only appeared in one novel?

Harper S. Ferry, Judson van Hale & his Treecat Genghis who all died saving Queen Berry from assassination in Torch of Freedom.

Return to Honorverse