Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 163 guests

Spoilers! Is anyone else feeling....

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Spoilers! Is anyone else feeling....
Post by JohnRoth   » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:30 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Wasn't there an Author's comment earlier that there were 10,000 casualties related to whatever happens at Beowulf? No I have not read Shadow of Victory yet.

Somehow I think someone would have mentioned that if it had occured in SOV.

I believe it was ten million, and that was sufficiently long ago that he could have changed his mind several times about how he wanted to handle the Battle of Beowulf.
Post by saber964   » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:34 pm

saber964
Admiral

Star Knight wrote:There is no need for mycroft period.
Just park one Invictus BatRon outside the hyper limit.

Why do that? Just have the RMN transfer a few BatRons of Medusa and Invictus class to the BSDF. I'm sure that would be a hell of a surprise.
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:44 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

WeirdlyWired wrote:the original quote of HH happens the day of Beowulf's secession from the league.

No, Honor's comments on Mycroft were the day before the vote in the League Assembly. Beowulf's representative announced the plebiscite would happen in two months -- the same time period as the expected completion of the Mycroft installation.

The plebiscite on secession has NOT been shown on-screen and was scheduled for two months AFTER Honor's comments.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by n7axw   » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:00 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Wasn't there an Author's comment earlier that there were 10,000 casualties related to whatever happens at Beowulf? No I have not read Shadow of Victory yet.

There was a comment about the casualties, but my impression is that they do not have to do with the SLN attack, but with the conflict against the Alignment.

I wish I could remember my sourse sinse this question keeps coming up, but beyond it being a comment by RFC, I don't remember where I got it.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by SharkHunter   » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:54 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

I had posted once, then read RFC's comments about where he wanted this book to end up, so I deleted my comment from that thread -- and I think in summary, I thought Shadow of Victory would move the plot further forward given the page count, but am satisfied that David's goal was to bring us up to a point where the fat really goes into the fire, because you know that of course the MAlign is going to blame the GA or Manticore for all the nuclear explosions, and that the Mandarins are going to play that up for all it's worth.

As an author myself, I think might have made a few different choices on which characters live, die, or escape to fight/flight another day, but that is editorial opinion, not my automatic right to critique. What I wish in the mean time is that Baen/David would let us play in the playground a little bit and perhaps have a novella competition to build another anthology in the meantime. That would at least give us a few irons in the fire before the end game leaps forward off of the pages to us.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:30 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

SharkHunter wrote: because you know that of course the MAlign is going to blame the GA or Manticore for all the nuclear explosions, and that the Mandarins are going to play that up for all it's worth...

I thought the point of all the nukes was to cover the Malign's escape from Mesa, and the "evidence" of Audubon Ballroom involvement was planted in various computers [COG]. All the [patsy]official Mesan government needs do is point to computer files.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by Annachie   » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:33 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

More, the last 30 or so were to obliterate the people who couldn't be gotten off planet because 10th fleet had arrived, as well as obliterating staging points and buildings that the MAlign didn't want people asking questions about. Such as Albrtch's island home.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:40 pm

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Annachie wrote:More, the last 30 or so were to obliterate the people who couldn't be gotten off planet because 10th fleet had arrived, as well as obliterating staging points and buildings that the MAlign didn't want people asking questions about. Such as Albrtch's island home.

So very beyond the bit I have read ...apparently. DUH tats why its a spoiler, eh.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by Brigade XO   » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:35 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:

I believe it was ten million, and that was sufficiently long ago that he could have changed his mind several times about how he wanted to handle the Battle of Beowulf.

Sorry, 10 Million is correct.
Post by Annachie   » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:38 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

WeirdlyWired wrote:
Annachie wrote:More, the last 30 or so were to obliterate the people who couldn't be gotten off planet because 10th fleet had arrived, as well as obliterating staging points and buildings that the MAlign didn't want people asking questions about. Such as Albrtch's island home.

So very beyond the bit I have read ...apparently. DUH tats why its a spoiler, eh.

Sorry abiut that chief.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Honorverse