Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tlb and 91 guests

Travis Long & his lack of recognition

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Travis Long & his lack of recognition
Post by George J. Smith   » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:49 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Fox2! wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:The heir to the throne is required to marry a commoner; there have been references in the books to the fact that individuals who were not the heir at the time of their marriage and married someone from the nobility is not required to divorce his/her current spouse and marry again. The Constitution accepts that there will/may be occasions upon which the heir dies without producing an heir of his/her own with a commoner spouse but does not require someone who isn't heir to defer his/her marriage until the heir marries "just in case."

Though despite his last sentence I'd suspect that if you were the firstborn of the current Heir, there would be social pressure to not marry a noble.

While the legalities are apparently clear, I think the "optics" are bad if they marry a noble because it looks like they violated the spirit of the law in a way that a second born doesn't when they marry a noble. And the issue is likely to come up more often thanks to Prolong

I would suspect that the "social pressure" to marry a commoner would apply to anybody in the direct line of succession (the oldest child of the oldest child of the oldest child of the Monarch's oldest child). QE II (Windsor) might live long enough to see Charles' grandchildren. With prolong, it would be almost certain to happen, absent regicidal maniacs and accidents. And with 'cats soon to enter the picture, regicides must become even more careful in their planning.[/quote]

I believe George & Charlotte are Charles' grandchildren.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:58 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

George J. Smith wrote:
Fox2! wrote:I would suspect that the "social pressure" to marry a commoner would apply to anybody in the direct line of succession (the oldest child of the oldest child of the oldest child of the Monarch's oldest child). QE II (Windsor) might live long enough to see Charles' grandchildren. With prolong, it would be almost certain to happen, absent regicidal maniacs and accidents. And with 'cats soon to enter the picture, regicides must become even more careful in their planning.

I believe George & Charlotte are Charles' grandchildren.

You are correct, sir. Make that his great grandchildren.

And she is ornery enough to do it, too.
Post by tsingel001   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:09 pm

tsingel001
Midshipman

OK, wild hair. The countess is going to use Travis to figure out why they were attacked. His out of the box thinking is going to to lead him to discover the Junction.

My two cents.
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:29 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

tsingel001 wrote:OK, wild hair. The countess is going to use Travis to figure out why they were attacked. His out of the box thinking is going to to lead him to discover the Junction.

My two cents.

There is a mention in A Call to Arms that a certain region of the system is known for sensor ghosts and rough Alpha translations.

Which we know through several centuries of hindsight are markers for at least a terminus. A whole junction would be unexpected. The reality of the Manticore Wormhole Junction would be unfathomable.
Post by George J. Smith   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:58 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

Was the first wormhole found at Manticore the one going to Beowulf?
T&R
GJS

Post by Dauntless   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:35 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:Was the first wormhole found at Manticore the one going to Beowulf?

the first 3 were all found about the same time, as i recall, with others found over time as equipment got better.

of the 3 i believe Beowulf was the only inhabited one.
Post by saber964   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:19 pm

saber964
Admiral

Dauntless wrote:
George J. Smith wrote:Was the first wormhole found at Manticore the one going to Beowulf?

the first 3 were all found about the same time, as i recall, with others found over time as equipment got better.

of the 3 i believe Beowulf was the only inhabited one.

No, according to textev the MWJ was discovered in 1585 PD when the survey ship Pathfinder made transit to Beowulf. Between 1585 and 1590 PD the discovery's of (in order) Beowulf Trevor's Star and Hennsey took place. Also most of the termani are inhabited with nearby star systems.

Beowulf inhabited
Trevor's Star inhabited
Hennsey inhabited
Matapan uninhabited
Gregor A inhabited Gregor B
Basilisk inhabited
Lynx B uninhabited 4LY Lynx A inhabited
Post by Rincewind   » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:41 am

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

Fox2! wrote:
Would you prefer
Turkey trots to water?

Okay, so now you've got me. What does that mean?
Post by George J. Smith   » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:32 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

saber964 wrote:No, according to textev the MWJ was discovered in 1585 PD when the survey ship Pathfinder made transit to Beowulf. Between 1585 and 1590 PD the discovery's of (in order) Beowulf Trevor's Star and Hennsey took place. Also most of the termani are inhabited with nearby star systems.

So the stupidity of the Sollies is even more profound, 400+ years of trade & relations between Manticore & the SL and the SL still think of Manticore as a neobarb system.
T&R
GJS

Post by Dauntless   » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:19 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

well to be fair when they first found the junction, they were rather poor and behind the times. it was several months 1 way back to the core of the SL

of course the MWJ changed everything and they quickly became one of the major powers in the Haven sector but the bureaucrats in charge still think of them as the small little colony that had to buy designs for ships. they likely always will until the SL is disbanded/destroyed.

Return to Honorverse