Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 77 guests

Travis Long & his lack of recognition

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Travis Long & his lack of recognition
Post by kenl511   » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:30 pm

kenl511
Captain (Junior Grade)

Fox2! wrote:
kenl511 wrote:Wasn't Travis Tea's academics in Astrophysics? Which could make him important in establishing the survey and exploration functions of the RMN.

Call to Duty doesn't mention what his college degree is in. His first school was for Impellers. After the "Cheating Scandal" he was reassigned to the gravitics course.

Since the two programs deal with gravity effects, hyper physics might be an obvious course of study. I don't know, though, how useful that might be for somebody who isn't going into engineering or R&D.

The first chapter of A Call to Arms. It casually mentions his academics in passing, kind of like a throw away line or maybe a Chekov's mussket.
Post by Fox2!   » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:36 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

kenl511 wrote:The first chapter of A Call to Arms. It casually mentions his academics in passing, kind of like a throw away line or maybe a Chekov's mussket.

Page 4 of the hardcover edition.

If a gun is shown in the first act, it must be fired in the second or third.

Tactical officer, graduate degree in astrophysics, known, even if not recognized, for "outside the box" thinking. ....

What might MWWW do with such a character?

The World Wonders.
Post by wrlee1966   » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:06 am

wrlee1966
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I just read ACTD and ACTA again. And in ACTD the Brother was sent to the meeting for the Countess. But it was not Breakwater who took that as a sign of her trust it was Baroness Tweenriver who made the point that Clara Sumner (Countess Calvingdell) trusted him to sit in on the meeting and since they trusted her then they could trust him. But that is only implying the Countess was on their side. but when we get to ACTA and the part where Blackwater is trying to get the Corvettes from the RMN we find out Countess Calvingdell is now the Defense Minister and it is clear in the meeting she doesn't like him and he her. So something changed or they really weren't friends to begin with. And will Chomp's try to protect Travis or throw him under the bus.
Last edited by wrlee1966 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:40 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

wrlee1966 wrote:I just read ACTD and ACTA again. And in ACTD the Brother was sent to the meeting for the Countess. But it was not Breakwater who took that as a sign of her trust it was Baroness Tweenriver who made the point that Clara Sumner (Countess Calvingdell) trusted him to sit in on the meeting and since they trusted her then they could trust him. But that is only implying the Countess was on their side. but when we get to ACTA and the part where Blackwater is trying to get the Corvettes from the RMN we find out Countess Calvingdell is not the Defense Minister and it is clear in the meeting she doesn't like him and he her. So something changed or they really weren't friends to begin with.

Thanks for the clarification.

And will Chomp's try to protect Travis or throw him under the bus.

On the whole, imhu, I think ...not. Whatever game The Countess is playing, Chomps is her man for good or ill. My hope is that CC aside, Chomps is honorable and would not throw another honorable (though aggravating)person under the bus. yes Travis reported him and that put a strain on the friendship, but knowing Travis, he'd have to know it would go there.
Without knowing her plans, would being straight up help or hurt Travis more than trying to protect him? best to be straight and let the chips fall.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by wrlee1966   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:38 am

wrlee1966

and I find it interesting that now that Prince Richard is dead that the heir should be princess Sophia. But if you look in House of steel you will see Edward dies in 1544 And his heir is his sister Elizabeth not Sophia. So the end of ACTA ended in 1543. So we should find out in the next book about this. I hope RFC remembered his continuity.
Post by munroburton   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:29 am

munroburton
Admiral

wrlee1966 wrote:and I find it interesting that now that Prince Richard is dead that the heir should be princess Sophia. But if you look in House of steel you will see Edward dies in 1544 And his heir is his sister Elizabeth not Sophia. So the end of ACTA ended in 1543. So we should find out in the next book about this. I hope RFC remembered his continuity.

It's been noticed before. Princess Sophia almost certainly dies young.

Some people have suspicions about Elizabeth II Winton. A lot of people around her have died prematurely - not just the four royals ahead of her in the succession, but also her first husband. In a hunting accident.

Wonder if one of her middle names is Cersei.
Post by saber964   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:59 pm

saber964
Admiral

munroburton wrote:
wrlee1966 wrote:and I find it interesting that now that Prince Richard is dead that the heir should be princess Sophia. But if you look in House of steel you will see Edward dies in 1544 And his heir is his sister Elizabeth not Sophia. So the end of ACTA ended in 1543. So we should find out in the next book about this. I hope RFC remembered his continuity.

Some people have suspicions about Elizabeth II Winton. A lot of people around her have died prematurely - not just the four royals ahead of her in the succession, but also her first husband. In a hunting accident.

If IIRC QEII husband was killed on a hunting trip to Sphinx, where you can encounter small nasty critters like the really small Hexapuma and the equally small Peak Bear. Remember Sphinx's critters have no fear of man. When the above animals see a human all there thinking of is lunch or dinner.
Post by wrlee1966   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:41 pm

wrlee1966

King Michael didn't die either he abdicated.
Post by Fox2!   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:07 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

munroburton wrote:

She might not have died, but have done something that disqualified her from the succession. Maybe she didn't pass the Crown Princess tests.

Is there a real penalty for the heir marrying a member of the aristocracy? Especially if she wasn't the heir when she married? I know, Sophie is too young to be married.
Post by wrlee1966   » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:41 am

wrlee1966

We do not know Sophia age. But she is younger then Richard. he was 22 T yrs old when he died I believe. She would have needed a Regent When King Edward Died. But I am thinking that in the next book We see Edward die probably by an assassin and I bet they get Sophia too.

Return to Honorverse