Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: George J. Smith, kzt and 129 guests

Travis Long & his lack of recognition

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Travis Long & his lack of recognition
Post by HungryKing   » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:10 pm

HungryKing
Captain (Junior Grade)

Edward and his 'children' die in a boating accident. I've thought that it was caused by Breakwater. I think Burgandy dies there as well.

Now, I've noticed that none have kenned onto my little guess about where the RMN gets it frigate navy. Well here it goes as to what might be behind it.
Edward, and the navy want cruisers, presumably light cruisers, so they can go and patrol the spaceways.
Gavin, because he noticed that numbers really do matter, wants hordes of platforms, aka corvettes.
The countess wants to have frequent port calls for her Intel ops.
The RMN is current building system defense destroyers, presumably with missile tubes.
At this point in time, frigates and destroyers generally share the same mass bracket. With relatively modular designs, a system defense destroyed that looses it tubes to launchers, might make a frigate.
No one gets exactly what they want, but the political compromises result in a horde of frigates.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:07 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:
She might not have died, but have done something that disqualified her from the succession. Maybe she didn't pass the Crown Princess tests.

Is there a real penalty for the heir marrying a member of the aristocracy? Especially if she wasn't the heir when she married? I know, Sophie is too young to be married.
No there's no penalty for someone who's not currently the heir marrying a noble.

RFC weighed in on this a couple years ago in the thread Weird speculation vis a vi Travis Long. Here's his post
runsforcelery wrote:The heir to the throne is required to marry a commoner; there have been references in the books to the fact that individuals who were not the heir at the time of their marriage and married someone from the nobility is not required to divorce his/her current spouse and marry again. The Constitution accepts that there will/may be occasions upon which the heir dies without producing an heir of his/her own with a commoner spouse but does not require someone who isn't heir to defer his/her marriage until the heir marries "just in case."

Though despite his last sentence I'd suspect that if you were the firstborn of the current Heir, there would be social pressure to not marry a noble.

While the legalities are apparently clear, I think the "optics" are bad if they marry a noble because it looks like they violated the spirit of the law in a way that a second born doesn't when they marry a noble. And the issue is likely to come up more often thanks to Prolong
Post by wrlee1966   » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:20 pm

wrlee1966
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

HungryKing wrote:Edward and his 'children' die in a boating accident. I've thought that it was caused by Breakwater. I think Burgandy dies there as well.

Now, I've noticed that none have kenned onto my little guess about where the RMN gets it frigate navy. Well here it goes as to what might be behind it.
Edward, and the navy want cruisers, presumably light cruisers, so they can go and patrol the spaceways.
Gavin, because he noticed that numbers really do matter, wants hordes of platforms, aka corvettes.
The countess wants to have frequent port calls for her Intel ops.
The RMN is current building system defense destroyers, presumably with missile tubes.
At this point in time, frigates and destroyers generally share the same mass bracket. With relatively modular designs, a system defense destroyed that looses it tubes to launchers, might make a frigate.
No one gets exactly what they want, but the political compromises result in a horde of frigates.

Where did you get that Edward died in a boating accident
Post by munroburton   » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:39 pm

munroburton
Admiral

wrlee1966 wrote:Where did you get that Edward died in a boating accident

It's in the Universe of Honor Harrington, part of More than Honor. A list of Winton monarchs has a note for him which states (boating accident; succeeded by sister).

I did notice that the dates provided in UHH for the first four Manticoran monarchs don't match the dates provided in HoS. This may be due to some retconning with the Manticore Ascendant trilogy.

It's clear from HoS, however, that Edward's reign is still to be very short - 1542 to 1544(UHH has it as 1539 to 1544). And then Elizabeth II takes over until 1601.
Post by wrlee1966   » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:29 pm

wrlee1966
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Universe of Honor Harrington seems to have been updated some but there is no mention of what happened to Sophia she is listed as Crown Princess after Richards death but in UHH it clearly says that Elizabeth II succeeded him as Queen. So do we think Sophia died in the same accident which I bet is really an assassination by Axelrod or do we think she was too young and parliament voted for Elizabeth to take over.
Post by saber964   » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:57 pm

saber964
Admiral

wrlee1966 wrote:Universe of Honor Harrington seems to have been updated some but there is no mention of what happened to Sophia she is listed as Crown Princess after Richards death but in UHH it clearly says that Elizabeth II succeeded him as Queen. So do we think Sophia died in the same accident which I bet is really an assassination by Axelrod or do we think she was too young and parliament voted for Elizabeth to take over.

Probably not on Parliament voting in favor of QEII over her niece. At most if Sophia was to young Elizabeth would have been appointed as Regent. The only way Sophia wouldn't assume throne was if she was physically or mentally incapable of doing so. What if Sophia had been seriously hurt in the accident.
Post by Peregrinator   » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:46 pm

Peregrinator
Commander

munroburton wrote:It's clear from HoS, however, that Edward's reign is still to be very short - 1542 to 1544(UHH has it as 1539 to 1544). And then Elizabeth II takes over until 1601.

Huh, weird, almost as if it were taken from history.
Post by Rincewind   » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:14 am

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

Fox2! wrote:
kenl511 wrote:The first chapter of A Call to Arms. It casually mentions his academics in passing, kind of like a throw away line or maybe a Chekov's mussket.

Page 4 of the hardcover edition.

If a gun is shown in the first act, it must be fired in the second or third.

Tactical officer, graduate degree in astrophysics, known, even if not recognized, for "outside the box" thinking. ....

What might MWWW do with such a character?

The World Wonders.

I wouldn't use that tagline if I were you considering all the confusion & trouble it caused at the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

Just the way my warped mind works.
Post by Fox2!   » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:58 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Rincewind wrote:
Fox2! wrote:

Page 4 of the hardcover edition.

If a gun is shown in the first act, it must be fired in the second or third.

Tactical officer, graduate degree in astrophysics, known, even if not recognized, for "outside the box" thinking. ....

What might MWWW do with such a character?

The World Wonders.

I wouldn't use that tagline if I were you considering all the confusion & trouble it caused at the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

Just the way my warped mind works.

Would you prefer
Turkey trots to water?
Post by Fox2!   » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:43 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Jonathan_S wrote:The heir to the throne is required to marry a commoner; there have been references in the books to the fact that individuals who were not the heir at the time of their marriage and married someone from the nobility is not required to divorce his/her current spouse and marry again. The Constitution accepts that there will/may be occasions upon which the heir dies without producing an heir of his/her own with a commoner spouse but does not require someone who isn't heir to defer his/her marriage until the heir marries "just in case."

Though despite his last sentence I'd suspect that if you were the firstborn of the current Heir, there would be social pressure to not marry a noble.

While the legalities are apparently clear, I think the "optics" are bad if they marry a noble because it looks like they violated the spirit of the law in a way that a second born doesn't when they marry a noble. And the issue is likely to come up more often thanks to Prolong[/quote]

I would suspect that the "social pressure" to marry a commoner would apply to anybody in the direct line of succession (the oldest child of the oldest child of the oldest child of the Monarch's oldest child). QE II (Windsor) might live long enough to see Charles' grandchildren. With prolong, it would be almost certain to happen, absent regicidal maniacs and accidents. And with 'cats soon to enter the picture, regicides must become even more careful in their planning.

Return to Honorverse