Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests

SPOILERS: Continuity Errors — A Challenge

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: SPOILERS: Continuity Errors — A Challenge
Post by Rincewind   » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:03 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:I am actually a bit surprised that the people commenting on typos and other errata in the EARC haven't picked up on two major continuity errors. One of them has already been fixed; one of them hasn't . . . and won't be. The second one, which won't be fixed, was injected accidentally but I liked the scene so much that I decided I would do a little revisionist history and let it stand.

So, I now issue a formal challenge. I am not saying that these are the only continuity errors in the book. (Note: I am not saying that they aren't the only continuity errors, either.) I am simply saying that these two should have already drawn fire and I challenge my faithful readers to be the first to report these two.

There will be a prize for the first correct answer. :twisted:

Here's one continuity error for you. In Shadow of Freedom in Chapter Thirty One Terekhov had already forced Commander Watson's ships to scuttle themselves before he made orbit & contacted Rachel Blanchard who commented that they had seen the explosions from the planetary surface. Yet in Shadow of Victory in Chapter Fifty Seven Rachel Blanchard was interrupted by one of her command group with the news there was someone on the con asking for Michael. Although it does not state it explicitly, judging by Blanchard's thoughts on how the Resistance was doomed it certainly implies that she had NOT seen Commander Watson's ships blow up otherwise she would not have been in such a despairing mood.
Post by Lunan   » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:04 am

Lunan
Captain of the List

The number one issue that jumps out at me is Darius. Speficially that the planet has no slaves, i seem to recall that on Darius the original Mesa constitution was in place and that manumited slaves could become full citizens

runsforcelery wrote:I am actually a bit surprised that the people commenting on typos and other errata in the EARC haven't picked up on two major continuity errors. One of them has already been fixed; one of them hasn't . . . and won't be. The second one, which won't be fixed, was injected accidentally but I liked the scene so much that I decided I would do a little revisionist history and let it stand.

So, I now issue a formal challenge. I am not saying that these are the only continuity errors in the book. (Note: I am not saying that they aren't the only continuity errors, either.) I am simply saying that these two should have already drawn fire and I challenge my faithful readers to be the first to report these two.

Post by Duckk   » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:11 am

Duckk
Site Admin

The number one issue that jumps out at me is Darius. Speficially that the planet has no slaves, i seem to recall that on Darius the original Mesa constitution was in place and that manumited slaves could become full citizens

Huh? Our first introduction to Darius mentions genetic slaves, albeit treated differently than the rest of the galaxy:

By now, the Darius System's total population was in the very near vicinity of 3.9 billion, of whom just under two billion were representatives of one of the alpha, beta, or gamma genomes the Alignment had worked to improve for so long. The remainder of the system population were genetic slaves, but the conditions of their slavery were very unlike those which obtained elsewhere. For one thing, they were treated far better, without the often savage discipline slaves often received elsewhere. In fact, the Darius System was one of the very few places where the Mesan Constitution's official legal protections theoretically intended to protect slaves from gross mistreatment were actually enforced. For another, they had a much higher standard of living. And for yet another, they formed the backbone of a highly trained, highly skilled labor force which had earned the respect of its supervisors.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Andy33   » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:25 am

Andy33
Ensign

Did I miss the bit where Captain Prescott Tremaine was knighted? Surely it is his associate Horace Harkness who got the knighthood?
Yet "Sir Prescott" is described as such twice.
Post by JohnRoth   » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:29 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

Duckk wrote:

Huh? Our first introduction to Darius mentions genetic slaves, albeit treated differently than the rest of the galaxy:

By now, the Darius System's total population was in the very near vicinity of 3.9 billion, of whom just under two billion were representatives of one of the alpha, beta, or gamma genomes the Alignment had worked to improve for so long. The remainder of the system population were genetic slaves, but the conditions of their slavery were very unlike those which obtained elsewhere. For one thing, they were treated far better, without the often savage discipline slaves often received elsewhere. In fact, the Darius System was one of the very few places where the Mesan Constitution's official legal protections theoretically intended to protect slaves from gross mistreatment were actually enforced. For another, they had a much higher standard of living. And for yet another, they formed the backbone of a highly trained, highly skilled labor force which had earned the respect of its supervisors.

I think that what he's saying is that the population of genetic slaves isn't obvious from the description he read. Since I've only read the free chapters, I shouldn't comment, however I suspect that we've seen several examples already: Detweiller's and Anismovna's bodyguards. The guy on Torch and one other also come to mind.

Although I'll grant that the description of Kyrillos Taliadoros (Anismovna's bodyguard) says he's a gamma line, Anismovna may not be briefed in on that part of the Plan.
Post by Lunan   » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:58 pm

Lunan
Captain of the List

actully thats my point. in this book Jack McBride has a section where we see that there are NO slaves on Darius, yet in a previous book as you quoted we see that there indeed are genetic slaves

Duckk wrote:

Post by lyonheart   » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:13 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi guys,

The implication in SoV I had was that all clones were property and thus all the clones on Darius were technically slaves, though no one there was now being treated as such property.

It's been almost 7 years since ToF, so I think RFC may have changed his mind about quite a few things in these seven years, as have we.

Given that, its amazing how much continuity there is.

L

PS. Having Aviars get to meet Sinead was great but the Admiralty insistence on celerity seemed a bit overdone.

But having her as Penelope chasing her Odysseus across 800-900+ LY, was a great wrinkle.

Besides helping Aviars reconcile with Tourville, which was a great scene, which is why RFC wrote it that way...

Anyone think wedding bells might be/are in Mike and Lester's future? ;)

*quote="Lunan"*actully thats my point. in this book Jack McBride has a section where we see that there are NO slaves on Darius, yet in a previous book as you quoted we see that there indeed are genetic slaves

Duckk wrote:

*quote*
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by munroburton   » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:19 am

munroburton
Admiral

There's definitely a distinction to be made. Mesa's slaves are more about commercial profit, disposable tools to do things no one wants to do. A commodity, in one word - and one which "planned obsolescence" applies to. Brutally simply, the sooner those slaves die, the sooner more can be sold to replace them.

Darius' slaves may be more slaves of society, owned by the state. Without seeing more of Darius, speculation is difficult, but I think the 'owner' as such is concerned with greater things than quarterly reports. They want a healthy, content and long-lived population whose existence is supposed to eventually become an aspirational example for the rest of the universe.

And the Alignment is competing with Beowulf, whose contributions to interstellar humanity are stronger than any other world bar Earth itself. Impeller drive, prolong treatment, the Cherwell Convention, the Beowulf Life Sciences Code itself.
Post by RoguePhoenix   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:29 am

RoguePhoenix
Midshipman

So... coming back to this a year later. I never picked up the eARC so I only got the second one, did anyone ever figure out what the first one was that was changed? We never got a confirmation or denial on the first one. It's starting to become an OCD itch that I have no way to scratch :lol:
Post by George J. Smith   » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:40 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Just rereading SoV and it strikes me that the events leading up to the re-assignments of Terekhov, Hearns & Zilwicki are not the same as mentioned previously.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah

Return to Honorverse