Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 86 guests

An out of order snippet for Rose

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: An out of order snippet for Rose
Post by noblehunter   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:47 pm

noblehunter
Captain (Junior Grade)

That sounds like this book might be like Jordan's Knife of Dreams. Where the clutter is dealt with so the real business of ending the series can begin. He had the same problem of a sprawling narrative after trying to get a fuller spectrum of the stories implied by epic fantasy.

Um, just don't get terminally ill and die.
Post by cthia   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:56 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Since the completion of "Shadow of Victory," has there been any word whether there is indeed going to be just one more book? Or, having completed this one, RFC has rethought that to be too... unrealistic?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Eagleeye   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:07 pm

Eagleeye
Commodore

cthia wrote:Since the completion of "Shadow of Victory," has there been any word whether there is indeed going to be just one more book? Or, having completed this one, RFC has rethought that to be too... unrealistic?

That depends mainly of the situation at the end of SOV, I assume. So we still have to wait for some hours until the e-ARC actually hits Baens homepage, till we can give some educated guesses on that topic ...
Post by ChronicRder   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:11 pm

ChronicRder
Lieutenant Commander

This snippet emphasizes one of the many reasons Terekhov is one of my favorite characters and commanding officers in the series.
Rules and regulations have their time and place. There is also a time and place to take certain liberties with those things in the interest of taking care of your people. He knows how to do that which is neither something to take for granted nor something to be assumed as "the norm" or "the standard."
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:12 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Eagleeye wrote:
cthia wrote:Since the completion of "Shadow of Victory," has there been any word whether there is indeed going to be just one more book? Or, having completed this one, RFC has rethought that to be too... unrealistic?

That depends mainly of the situation at the end of SOV, I assume. So we still have to wait for some hours until the e-ARC actually hits Baens homepage, till we can give some educated guesses on that topic ...

Current plan --- and I think it's fairly solid --- is that the next book will wrap the storyline that I originally started in OBS. Will it tie up all the loose ends? No. Life isn't that neat, and I promise enough snakes will crawl off into the bushes at the end of the day that if I want to continue to write about Honor, Michelle, Aivars, and Lester I'll have plenty of grist for my mill. But I will reach a balance point that will let me go off and write other things in the Honorverse for a while and I think most of my readers will be satisfied with where I leave things.

Of course, none of you will be completely satisfied. That would be bad for business!! :lol:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
I do not understand
Post by tlb   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:13 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Rincewind wrote:After you have put us through the wringer with Helen's reaction to the news of the loss of the Kitty is there going to be a scene where she finds out her father is alive just to balance things up?

I know Helen Zelwicki would be upset to learn Hexapuma and her former shipmates were killed; but why do they assume her father is dead also? When Anton is in Manticore, he is in Landing where Cathy's house is. Clearly I have a lot of rereading to do.
One thing that I expect is that the frozen body on Mesa, of the man with the convenient "heart attack", will reveal the Mesan nanite structure in autopsy.
Re: I do not understand
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:18 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

tlb wrote:
Rincewind wrote:After you have put us through the wringer with Helen's reaction to the news of the loss of the Kitty is there going to be a scene where she finds out her father is alive just to balance things up?

I know Helen Zelwicki would be upset to learn Hexapuma and her former shipmates were killed; but why do they assume her father is dead also? When Anton is in Manticore, he is in Landing where Cathy's house is. Clearly I have a lot of rereading to do.
One thing that I expect is that the frozen body on Mesa, of the man with the convenient "heart attack" will reveal the Mesan nanite structure in autopsy.

Because this is all happening about the time that Mesa is claiming that Anton was responsible for the nuclear terrorism in downtown Mendel. He's been out of communication long enough (courtesy of an in-flight breakdown) that a lot of people are assuming he must have been killed on Mesa. The reasoning is that (a) Mesa is making the claim because they know he's dead and can't dispute it (which is what they do believe to be the case) and (b) that if he wasn't dead he would have surfaced by now to dispute the allegations.

And, BTW, Mesa actually has a pretty damned good point. I happen to like Anton a lot, and he certainly never intended anything like the Green Valley atrocity to happen, but he did enable the seccy who went off the rails by hacking the security software on the stolen nukes, and no one has repealed the Law of Unintended Consequences. I'm not saying that he's likely to lie awake at nights kicking himself for it . . . but he's generally pretty darned honest with himself, so he probably does have the occasional evening when it's a little difficult to drift off.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by turol   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:21 pm

turol
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

tlb wrote:One thing that I expect is that the frozen body on Mesa, of the man with the convenient "heart attack", will reveal the Mesan nanite structure in autopsy.

He wasn't killed with nanites but rather his own "medical implant" (some kind of monitoring/autodoc implant I think) was programmed to kill him.
Post by tlb   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:25 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

turol wrote:
tlb wrote:One thing that I expect is that the frozen body on Mesa, of the man with the convenient "heart attack", will reveal the Mesan nanite structure in autopsy.

He wasn't killed with nanites but rather his own "medical implant" (some kind of monitoring/autodoc implant I think) was programmed to kill him.

Thanks to RFC and Turol for clarification. I assumed that because Helen was delivering the report of what we know as Oyster Bay, that the perceived death of Anton was taken to be part of that.
Post by Eagleeye   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:26 pm

Eagleeye
Commodore

tlb wrote:

One thing that I expect is that the frozen body on Mesa, of the man with the convenient "heart attack", will reveal the Mesan nanite structure in autopsy.

If I have the timeframe correctly, Anton is not returned. Remember, they get Infos about Oyster Bay, that happend in February, and they are either in Spindle or in Montana at that time. Because of the needed travel time, information about OB could be available in the TQ (at the earliest) at the end of February or in the 1st 10 days of March. Pritchard, on the other hand, knocks on Elizabeths door around May, if memory serves.

Return to Honorverse