Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny, Puidwen and 58 guests

An out of order snippet for Rose

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: An out of order snippet for Rose
Post by Star Knight   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:19 pm

Star Knight
Commodore

runsforcelery wrote:You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion. In fact, as a reader, yours is the only opinion that matters when it comes to the decisions you make and the places you invest your interest and your reading time. There are books which have been highly recommended to me that simply don’t work for me as a reader, and there are books readers I respect have slammed that worked very well for me. Writing — and reading — is probably about the most subjective form of communication ever invented.

It’s also true that anyone — and writers are no different from anyone else in this regard — learns more from criticism than from praise. Praise comes from people who already think you’re doing a pretty good job; criticism comes from people who think you could be doing a better one.

Having said that, I’m telling the story the way I think it needs to be told. That may not be the story that you want to read, and that’s a totally appropriate decision for you to make. I do disagree with you that the narrative has “gone to hell,” but that may reflect our different viewpoints on what the story is and what it’s about at this point. [...]

Hello RFC

Thanks for the reply.

One minor point to clear up any confusion, I didn’t say the narrative has ‘gone to hell’. I was talking about the narrative structure, but I realize I might have been not entirely clear on this. Probably a language thing.
The story is still fun and exciting, plot, setting, all that is – IMO - still superior to pretty much all of the other stuff I read.
Sure, there are some minor issues, but it would be rather dull if we had nothing to argue about.

What I like less is how you put the whole thing together in the end. All this jumping around, backtracking, filling in, retelling, copypasting – I just think it would be so much better if I could read the story the way it actually happens. Or have really separate books in which I don’t read stuff (I already know) about Cachat when the main plot is about whats going on in 10th Fleet.

I could write more, but I’m off to reading now (sorry :P ). And I’m certain I will enjoy it – just like I enjoyed every Honorverse book to date, even if I would wish for some things to be done differently. I wouldn’t hang out around here otherwise.

Thank you for your efforts :)
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:22 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

I'm gonna kill you.

Totally gonna kill you.

Absolutely gonna kill you.

Just as soon as I finish blubbering.

So, in a couple of years.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

(Except I can't kill you, because then I wouldn't get more books. All of which will probably make me want to kill you at some point or another. Why do I do this to myself again?? ...oh, right. Incurable masochist.)

In other news, the fact that His Celeryness knows me well enough to single me out for a snippet like this is both terrifying and almost incomprehensibly delightful.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Nick   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:50 pm

Nick
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:
Current plan --- and I think it's fairly solid --- is that the next book will wrap the storyline that I originally started in OBS. Will it tie up all the loose ends? No. Life isn't that neat, and I promise enough snakes will crawl off into the bushes at the end of the day that if I want to continue to write about Honor, Michelle, Aivars, and Lester I'll have plenty of grist for my mill. But I will reach a balance point that will let me go off and write other things in the Honorverse for a while and I think most of my readers will be satisfied with where I leave things.

Of course, none of you will be completely satisfied. That would be bad for business!! :lol:

Books that serve just to tie up all the little loose ends that are generated in a long running series tend to not be very good books. Probably because of the reason you give: life isn't that neat. I'm both excited and sad to see the storyline come to an end. The good news is that (as I have proven many times) these books are stories that I don't get tired of reading, and getting to the end just means I can start over at the beginning. :)
Post by Joat42   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:49 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Star Knight wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion. In fact, as a reader, yours is the only opinion that matters when it comes to the decisions you make and the places you invest your interest and your reading time. There are books which have been highly recommended to me that simply don’t work for me as a reader, and there are books readers I respect have slammed that worked very well for me. Writing — and reading — is probably about the most subjective form of communication ever invented.

It’s also true that anyone — and writers are no different from anyone else in this regard — learns more from criticism than from praise. Praise comes from people who already think you’re doing a pretty good job; criticism comes from people who think you could be doing a better one.

Having said that, I’m telling the story the way I think it needs to be told. That may not be the story that you want to read, and that’s a totally appropriate decision for you to make. I do disagree with you that the narrative has “gone to hell,” but that may reflect our different viewpoints on what the story is and what it’s about at this point. [...]

Hello RFC

Thanks for the reply.

One minor point to clear up any confusion, I didn’t say the narrative has ‘gone to hell’. I was talking about the narrative structure, but I realize I might have been not entirely clear on this. Probably a language thing.
The story is still fun and exciting, plot, setting, all that is – IMO - still superior to pretty much all of the other stuff I read.
Sure, there are some minor issues, but it would be rather dull if we had nothing to argue about.

What I like less is how you put the whole thing together in the end. All this jumping around, backtracking, filling in, retelling, copypasting – I just think it would be so much better if I could read the story the way it actually happens. Or have really separate books in which I don’t read stuff (I already know) about Cachat when the main plot is about whats going on in 10th Fleet.

I could write more, but I’m off to reading now (sorry :P ). And I’m certain I will enjoy it – just like I enjoyed every Honorverse book to date, even if I would wish for some things to be done differently. I wouldn’t hang out around here otherwise.

Thank you for your efforts :)

Well, you can always hope for Baen to publish a re-edited omnibus edition. :D

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by kzt   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:14 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:At the end of the day, I’m quite satisfied with how it came together, the characters in its pages, and where it leaves the overriding storyline at the end of the book. You may disagree. In fact, based on your comments to date, I’m quite certain that you will disagree. The part of me which would just love to be universally admired by all I meet would prefer for you to agree with me, instead, but the part of me which is telling the story and creating this universe regrets your disagreement but accepts it and keeps on going. I hope you’ll continue to travel along with me, but the choice of the route to the story’s ultimate destination is mine.

The stories you tell are the stories you want to tell. Sometimes they are not exactly the story I wish you told, but it certainly is better than you not telling a story at all. And since I'm not doing the work of wrestling to the ground and writing this huge monster I'll take what I can get.

Thanks
Post by Fox2!   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:22 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

George J. Smith wrote:Well now we will get to read the part when they discover who survived from the Kitty's crew as a result of being transferred to Weyland and being evacuated in the drill

thanks rfc

Well, we know that Paolo and Ginger did. Presumably SCPO Wanderman did, as well. To the eARC!

Return to Honorverse