Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests

Shadow of Victory Snippet #3

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Shadow of Victory Snippet #3
Post by Rob the Fiend   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:34 pm

Rob the Fiend
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Why is it that all dictatorships security police is dressed in black? At least one part of their uniform that is.

Confuse the enemy; wear pink, purple and lavender instead. :lol:
Post by MaxxQ   » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:55 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

Rob the Fiend wrote:Why is it that all dictatorships security police is dressed in black? At least one part of their uniform that is.

Fabulous! :mrgreen:
Post by Daryl   » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:03 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Excellent point.
Goes with the mentality. Our old helpful Customs Service has morphed into Border Force complete with black paramilitary uniforms. Not here to serve any more but to force obedience to regulations.

Rob the Fiend wrote:Why is it that all dictatorships security police is dressed in black? At least one part of their uniform that is.

Post by Brian   » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:27 am

Brian
Midshipman

Torlek wrote:It is probably not that important to understand the story, but I have a real hard time keeping all the Polish names of people and institutions straight. They all get mapped in my brain to "some polish name", which makes it very confusing.

Agreed. I'm pretty much lost on the details of the story. I think the summary is "elite, wealthy ruling class has, for a long time, been sowing the seeds of a ugly, bloody civil war."
Post by Annachie   » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:43 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

I'm sure that the planet founded by Hello Kitty worshipers will turn up in due course.

No doubt their oppressive police forces will wear pink.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Bill Woods   » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:44 am

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

From the Evil Overlord List™:
#29. I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into confusion.
#33. I won't require high-ranking female members of my organization to wear a stainless-steel bustier. Morale is better with a more casual dress-code. Similarly, outfits made entirely from black leather will be reserved for formal occasions.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by kzt   » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:48 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

It sounds like the Iranian revolution against the Shah, where the outrageous oppressive government that all caring people hated was replaced in a not particularly violent revolution by one that was at least 10 times more oppressive and annually executed at least twice as many people as the old hated oppressive government executed in its entire history. The new widely loved government also declared itself the arbiter of who could run in the "free and fair" elections they organized to show how widely loved they were and naturally took steps, via the omnipresent secret police and taps on all communications media, to prevent any sort of organization at any level that wasn't controlled by a party member.
Post by SCC   » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:50 am

SCC
Commander

Am I getting things wrong or is the system president plotting to over throw his own government?
Post by kzt   » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:37 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

SCC wrote:Am I getting things wrong or is the system president plotting to over throw his own government?

Pretty much. He's probably the only idealist of the orginal movement left who hasn't been murdered or imprisoned on some sort of trumped up charges. So he's a powerless figurehead.
Post by SCC   » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:13 am

SCC
Commander

kzt wrote: So he's a powerless figurehead.

*Looks at what he's planning.* Yeah, I don't think so.

Return to Honorverse