Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kzt and 7 guests

An SoV out of order snippet

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: An SoV out of order snippet
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:10 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Posts: 2417
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:39 am
Location: South Carolina

feyhunde wrote:
Direwolf18 wrote:Now that you mention yea vice admiral confuses me. If anyone deserves full admiral it would be her.

Second Space Lord is a Civilian Job technically, so maybe that doesn't count as time in rank, especially since she's been either Second Space Lord on on the Beach since ~1905 PD.

Maybe also there's no slot for a full admiral in ONI?



And maybe it's a typo . . . . .


"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Top
Re: An SoV out of order snippet
Post by feyhunde   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:18 pm

feyhunde
Lieutenant Commander

Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:30 am

runsforcelery wrote:
feyhunde wrote:Second Space Lord is a Civilian Job technically, so maybe that doesn't count as time in rank, especially since she's been either Second Space Lord on on the Beach since ~1905 PD.

Maybe also there's no slot for a full admiral in ONI?



And maybe it's a typo . . . . .


Nah no such thing :D

Refreshing the Baen site, hoping for the E-ARC today so we can continue free proof reading...
Top
Re: An SoV out of order snippet
Post by Direwolf18   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:27 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:39 pm

See we're helping! You get to torment us and we pick up these little things.

I call that a win win.
Top
Re: An SoV out of order snippet
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:08 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Posts: 2047
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:39 pm
Location: United Kingdom

::undignified squawking noises::

Patricia!!!

::dies of excitement::
~*~


I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Top
Re: An SoV out of order snippet
Post by phillies   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:30 pm

phillies
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1933
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:43 am
Location: Worcester, MA

runsforcelery wrote:Magilen returned, and Oravil Barregos frowned as a tallish woman followed her into the office. It took a moment, since she was in expensive, well-tailored civilian clothing, but he’d done his homework well, and he felt his eyebrows trying to disappear into his hairline. If she’d been in uniform, that uniform would have been the black and gold of the Star Empire of Manticore, not the white of the SLN. It would also have borne the shoulder flash of the Office of Naval Intelligence and the three broad gold cuff bands of a vice admiral.

“Admiral Givens.” It took every year of his political experience to keep the utter astonishment out of his voice. “This is an . . . unexpected honor.”

“I certainly hope it’s ‘unexpected,’ Governor Barregos,” the Second Space Lord of the Royal Manticoran Navy said dryly. “If it’s not, I’m afraid I’m about to get you into a lot of trouble with Old Chicago.”


Of course, we do not know the date, so perhaps the parts of the SLN has not been blown to smithereens several times by the RMN and friends. However, having your chief of intelligence appear in enemy territory is potentially likely to cause the boys in Chicago to love Barregos after he ships her to Earth as an involuntary guest. One suspects this will not happen, as it will antagonize neighbors of Maya, but there appears to be a bit of a chance being taken.
Top
Re: An SoV out of order snippet
Post by saber964   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:45 pm

saber964
Admiral

Posts: 2367
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:41 pm
Location: Spokane WA USA

feyhunde wrote:
Direwolf18 wrote:Now that you mention yea vice admiral confuses me. If anyone deserves full admiral it would be her.

Second Space Lord is a Civilian Job technically, so maybe that doesn't count as time in rank, especially since she's been either Second Space Lord on on the Beach since ~1905 PD.

Maybe also there's no slot for a full admiral in ONI?



Your thinking of the Second Lord of the Admiralty which IIRC cover administration and budgeting with oversight of BuShips BuWeaps and BuPers.
Top
Re: An SoV out of order snippet
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:54 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1863
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Mesa, Arizona

phillies wrote:Of course, we do not know the date, so perhaps the parts of the SLN has not been blown to smithereens several times by the RMN and friends. However, having your chief of intelligence appear in enemy territory is potentially likely to cause the boys in Chicago to love Barregos after he ships her to Earth as an involuntary guest. One suspects this will not happen, as it will antagonize neighbors of Maya, but there appears to be a bit of a chance being taken.

Except that there is probably a CLAC and several BCS and maybe a couple of SD(P)so waiting outside the system to remonstrate with the good governor should he decide to do something so terminally stupid.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Top
Re: An SoV out of order snippet
Post by Abaddon   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:07 pm

Abaddon
Commander

Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:37 pm

[Wild speculation] Maybe the Maya sector is conveniently placed on the way to Bolthole...
Top
Re: An SoV out of order snippet
Post by Direwolf18   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:10 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:39 pm

I am with Falls from trees. If they were to do something so terribly stupid, all Manticore would have to do was leak all of the fancy building contracts that Erewhorn is building for the Maya Sector.

Elizibeth would not be sending Givens unless it was critically important.

Probably has to do with Operation Janus, and some creative ways Manticore can turn it on its head.
Top
Re: An SoV out of order snippet
Post by cthia   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:15 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 11274
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

phillies wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:Magilen returned, and Oravil Barregos frowned as a tallish woman followed her into the office. It took a moment, since she was in expensive, well-tailored civilian clothing, but he’d done his homework well, and he felt his eyebrows trying to disappear into his hairline. If she’d been in uniform, that uniform would have been the black and gold of the Star Empire of Manticore, not the white of the SLN. It would also have borne the shoulder flash of the Office of Naval Intelligence and the three broad gold cuff bands of a vice admiral.

“Admiral Givens.” It took every year of his political experience to keep the utter astonishment out of his voice. “This is an . . . unexpected honor.”

“I certainly hope it’s ‘unexpected,’ Governor Barregos,” the Second Space Lord of the Royal Manticoran Navy said dryly. “If it’s not, I’m afraid I’m about to get you into a lot of trouble with Old Chicago.”


Of course, we do not know the date, so perhaps the parts of the SLN has not been blown to smithereens several times by the RMN and friends. However, having your chief of intelligence appear in enemy territory is potentially likely to cause the boys in Chicago to love Barregos after he ships her to Earth as an involuntary guest. One suspects this will not happen, as it will antagonize neighbors of Maya, but there appears to be a bit of a chance being taken.

Warning to roseandheather: Painfull thought ahead...

Well of course they're taking a chance. Givens could have been killed at any point in that trip. And she still could be. My question is how did she get there, besides what she's doing there. As in, is she there with escort ships, which could imply that something serious has occurred. It is already implied by Barregos, that Givens' face should be fairly well known in most military circles - even in the SL, since a de facto state of war exists between the two.

Yet my concern is whether RFC's been talking to Murphy about it being high time to kill off a significant character - being Givens. He did demonstrate being in the mood to "kill" with those poor little kids. Priming us readers for the slaughter. And being behind enemy lines makes Givens' future a bit suspect - for the paranoid in me.

Yes, I certainly agree that a serious chance has been taken - especially considering the importance of Givens to RMN intelligence and losing her at the moment wouldn't be a good thing. My hope is as follows...

Givens/RMN has gotten hold of a morsel of crumbs left by the MAlign and the only person qualified to follow the crumb is Givens. And the trail leads back to Barregos somehow as the one who can further elucidate.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top

Return to Honorverse