Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests

An SoV out of order snippet

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: An SoV out of order snippet
Post by Rincewind   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:09 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

PeterZ wrote:Yipee! The bad boys of the SLN are back!

Actually, all things considered, I would consider them the GOOD boys of the SLN!

Nice to see them back, though.
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:12 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Rincewind wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Yipee! The bad boys of the SLN are back!

Actually, all things considered, I would consider them the GOOD boys of the SLN!

Nice to see them back, though.

No, those would be the boys investigating the MAlign penetration into the SLN. Forgot the names but the quartet of Intel and police.
Post by Direwolf18   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:24 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Duckk wrote:Clearly, Givens is there to steal Barregos' and Rozsak's cookbook.

That would probably time well spent all said and done. If Alfred Harrington was there as well you know it would happen.
Post by kzt   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:55 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Normally you send a high ranking intel officer to another nation when you intend to give them a briefing on something they will only believe if it comes from a very senior intel officer. Or when they have really important but not burning urgent intel to give you and ask you to send them, which doesn't seem to be the case here.
Post by JohnRoth   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:20 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Now, why would Governor Barregos be expecting Admiral Givens to get him in trouble with Old Chicago? Maybe Mantie intelligence hasn't figured out what's happening in Maya Sector? Nah, can't be.

So, why's she here? I can see four possibilities right off the bat.

First, she's carrying a general briefing for everyone in this general area (including Erewhon and Torch) on the MAlign and what they accidentally left behind on Mesa.

Second, she's trying to set up a high-level channel between Maya and Manticore, since they know more or less what Barregos is planning.

Third, she may be ready to discuss what's going to happen when the Solarian League comes apart.

Fourth, she may have found the MAlign contact for the Maya sector and other areas. The one that's going to urge them to secede.

Some more may occur to me at Bubonicon. I'm planning on hitting the RMS Anasazi session.
Post by Star Knight   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:33 pm

Star Knight
Commodore

It would also have borne the shoulder flash of the Office of Naval Intelligence and the three broad gold cuff bands of a vice admiral.

Uhm why Vice Admiral? She is always referred to as Admiral, even in the character lists.
Also, in the Companion shes listed as Head of BuPlan and Admiral of the Green.
Post by Hutch   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:40 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Ahem.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....

Which means that RFC certainly knows how to pique one's interest...
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Direwolf18   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:46 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Now that you mention yea vice admiral confuses me. If anyone deserves full admiral it would be her.
Post by feyhunde   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:58 pm

feyhunde
Lieutenant Commander

Direwolf18 wrote:Now that you mention yea vice admiral confuses me. If anyone deserves full admiral it would be her.

Second Space Lord is a Civilian Job technically, so maybe that doesn't count as time in rank, especially since she's been either Second Space Lord on on the Beach since ~1905 PD.

Maybe also there's no slot for a full admiral in ONI?
Post by George J. Smith   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:10 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

feyhunde wrote:
Direwolf18 wrote:Now that you mention yea vice admiral confuses me. If anyone deserves full admiral it would be her.

Second Space Lord is a Civilian Job technically, so maybe that doesn't count as time in rank, especially since she's been either Second Space Lord on on the Beach since ~1905 PD.

Maybe also there's no slot for a full admiral in ONI?

Probably the latter, promotions accrue in the RMN even when not on active service.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah

Return to Honorverse