Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 97 guests

How big is a Graser Torpedo?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: How big is a Graser Torpedo?
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:10 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Also displacement isn't measured in weight because a Freighter has the same displacement weather it is full of armour scrap or empty and the compensator field size is based on Displacement not Weight. Compensators make everything in the field weigh the same essentially, whether it is a full or empty freighter it accelerates at the same speed. If it worked on weight then one would have empty freighters moving faster than fully laden ships. But they do not.

Also it doesn't matter if the density of the shrike is 4.5 times that of the Highlander because density is not displacement. A Roland is not a ship that weighs 188,000 tons. It is a Ship that displaces 188,000 tons. But in a compensator field they both weigh the same, zero. Just as they do floating in Deep space. The Mass inertial is whatever it is but in a compensator field that is also essentially zero or a set single value. Being fully loaded with Mk16's doesn't make the Roland slower than when it is empty.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:03 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

:!: https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3127/2809 ... z.jpg?zz=1 Found this seems a graser or laser could be Smaller than a non box pod and Add fusion or capacitor power pack and either a Decoy Ghost Rider drive and its near invisibility. Ghost rider com platforms can get and park 10,000 Km away from a SD undetected. At a million Km they should offer full stealth. With a single shot disposable Graser it should be cheaper and smaller.
Post by Somtaaw   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:02 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote::!: https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3127/2809 ... z.jpg?zz=1 Found this seems a graser or laser could be Smaller than a non box pod and Add fusion or capacitor power pack and either a Decoy Ghost Rider drive and its near invisibility. Ghost rider com platforms can get and park 10,000 Km away from a SD undetected. At a million Km they should offer full stealth. With a single shot disposable Graser it should be cheaper and smaller.

If you're going to link straight to an image, however well rendered you should also be linking to the base site so we can see it's not something you asked a friend to cook up to 'prove' how you're actually right. Since you are Lord Skimper.... if you do not actually link your sources, we cannot trust a single word you say because you prove over and over you either skim the books and don't actually read them, or you're clearly deranged and imagine you can take someone else's universe and try to bend it because you think it should be different.

Now google image searching, led me to rushforums where posts containing pictures very similar to what you linked were posted by MaxxQ over 8 years ago, and were possibly from before he actually joined Bu9 and had data directly from RFC for his renders. There's no sign the original posts were editted more recently than 2008, so those renders are still possibly considerably out of data.

Rushforum posts posted Aug 30, 2008

And then the actual flickr link here like the forum pics above, also uploaded August 30th, 2008.

Are they out of date, are they current, I do not know, I'm too new to these forums to know exactly when Maxx became part of Bu9.
Post by Rincewind   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:26 am

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

Just to put in my two pennorth worth but, conceptually, isn't Lord Skimper's Graser Torpedo that he's proposing similar to the Mistletoe that Honor used at Lovat only adapted for a Graser?

Remember, for all the arguments that people have been coming up against it could probably been levelled at ANY new weapon system. Certainly in A Call to Duty Travis Long 'proved' why a dual drive missile was impossible; (& Roger was greeted with dismay when he proposed it also according to House of Steel).

Ultimately there are no stupid ideas until you have tried them out.
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:36 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

Somtaaw wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote::!: https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3127/2809 ... z.jpg?zz=1 Found this seems a graser or laser could be Smaller than a non box pod and Add fusion or capacitor power pack and either a Decoy Ghost Rider drive and its near invisibility. Ghost rider com platforms can get and park 10,000 Km away from a SD undetected. At a million Km they should offer full stealth. With a single shot disposable Graser it should be cheaper and smaller.

If you're going to link straight to an image, however well rendered you should also be linking to the base site so we can see it's not something you asked a friend to cook up to 'prove' how you're actually right. Since you are Lord Skimper.... if you do not actually link your sources, we cannot trust a single word you say because you prove over and over you either skim the books and don't actually read them, or you're clearly deranged and imagine you can take someone else's universe and try to bend it because you think it should be different.

Now google image searching, led me to rushforums where posts containing pictures very similar to what you linked were posted by MaxxQ over 8 years ago, and were possibly from before he actually joined Bu9 and had data directly from RFC for his renders. There's no sign the original posts were editted more recently than 2008, so those renders are still possibly considerably out of data.

Rushforum posts posted Aug 30, 2008

And then the actual flickr link here like the forum pics above, also uploaded August 30th, 2008.

Are they out of date, are they current, I do not know, I'm too new to these forums to know exactly when Maxx became part of Bu9.

Excellent detective work! Yup. Those are mine and from before I joined BuNine. In fact, the big error in those images (two impeller rings on the missiles), was one of the things Tom Pope told me was wrong when he initially asked me to join. All the images were based on Russ Isler's art in the earlier books, and my own imagination based on descriptions in the books.

IOW, Skimper - NEVER, EVER use those images to base one of your ridiculous ideas on, because they are wrong! As for the sizes of the lasers/grasers in those images, they are placeholders for just the first few meters and not the full-size weapons. There's a hell of a lot more that would have been added to the length and width, had I continued the way I was going without having the resources of BuNine to set me straight. Both energy weapons would be long enough that you would need to lay out three or four pods end to end to contain the length of the energy tube. NOT including the associated equipment for running the out, powering them, and other stuff needed.

The other reason to NEVER, EVER link to those images again is because they're crap. I was just starting to learn Blender, and didn't even know how to smooth the meshes.

Somtaaw... yeah, they're out of date. They're considerably out of date. They're so out of date that dinosaurs are considered children. :mrgreen:
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:33 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

I found it on Google.
Post by Grashtel   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:25 pm

Grashtel
Captain of the List

Lord Skimper wrote:I found it on Google.

And why do you think that a random image you found on Google would be in any way accurate or useful?
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:08 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Grashtel wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:I found it on Google.

And why do you think that a random image you found on Google would be in any way accurate or useful?

Not to mention, Somtaaw found the source of the image starting with a Google image search (which I assume is how Skimper found it as well), and managed to follow it back to not only the Rush forum I posted it in, but the original posting of it on Flickr. Something anyone should be able to do in just a few minutes.

I don't use Flickr anymore because for some reason, I can't access my own account(s) there. I've tried resetting my password, and no matter what I do, it tells me it's not strong enough, and won't let me continue. Yes, I've used up to 20 characters, both lower and upper case, as well as special characters and numbers. No matter what I use, it tells me it's too weak, so... I just don't use it anymore. Won't let me create a new account because my email is already registered there. Bleah! I know there's other ways to do it, but since I discovered Deviant Art, there's no reason for me to use Flickr anymore.

But yes, to reinforce what Grashtel said, the only assumption you should make about Honorverse images found on the web is that if they're not tagged from either myself or BuNine, they're NOT accurate or canon, and that includes the cover art of David Mattingly (except the later stuff where he had access to artwork FROM BuNine) and Genkkis.

The other thing that I forgot to mention earlier is that the weapons shown in that image are scaled to a pre-Great Resizing SD(P). I knew about TGR before I started this particular work, but settled on the pre-TGR dimensions, because at the time, it was the only thing that had some hard dimensions that were public. If you look at Somtaaw's link to the images I posted in The Rush Forum, you'll see that the next image is an Invictus, at about 2+ km long. Obviously, that's wrong as well.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:36 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

So, How big is the Graser Torpedo?
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:17 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:So, How big is the Graser Torpedo?

Bigger than a breadbox, smaller than a Battleship.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Honorverse