Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 93 guests

Shadow of victory snippet #2

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Shadow of victory snippet #2
Post by kronan   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:34 pm

kronan
Midshipman

Nothing will happen to the idiot.
First, the PTB would have to be willing to admit they overreacted.

So, even though the idiot went manual control it'll be explained as an unfortunate miscommunication that resulted in an unfortunate loss of life.

Or, might even try and spin it as a would be terrorist attack using children as shields. Assuming there is an active resistance on this particular planet
Post by Dan F.   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:45 am

Dan F.
Midshipman

I am somewhat surprised that the eARC is not yet available, given that the manuscript was delivered early yesterday. :shock: :cry:

It took the publisher of my novel “Shield of Life” less than 24 hours to have it ready as an eARC, and available for final editing. 8-)

Hopefully Baen’s publishing arm will have “Shadow of Victory” available this afternoon, or tomorrow. I’d love to be able to spend this weekend enjoying it. :!:

Awaiting............
Post by noblehunter   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:50 am

noblehunter
Captain (Junior Grade)

From comments made by Lois McMaster Bujold, it took her ebook people two or three or four business days to publish Penric and the Shaman to the major ebook distributors. Seems like a decent upper limit for Baen's effort.
Post by kzt   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:23 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

kronan wrote:Nothing will happen to the idiot.
First, the PTB would have to be willing to admit they overreacted.

No, he's going to exactly follow the directions of the guy in the air to air combat platform or he's going to get blown into very small pieces. Assuming he doesn't just get blown of out the sky, which is a justifiable response too.
Post by Direwolf18   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:25 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Poor kids. I had a bad feeling as soon as this scene started. Turns out I was right. Wish I wasn't.
Post by Redhead   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:40 pm

Redhead
Midshipman

Hello everyone, long-time lurker here, finally decided to post.
I must say that as Polish I'm delighted with this one.
The name of the planet - Włocławek - is just hilarious :D The real Włocławek is a modest town on Vistula river, some 113 thousand inhabitants, long history (first mentioned in 12th century) but not very special in any other way. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C5%82oc%C5%82awek
To imagine a whole planet named after it, and then Siły Zbrojne Włocławka - Włocławek Armed Forces - it is so funny :D
Oh, and you really don't want to try to pronounce it correctly, trust me, you don't :)
The names and words in Polish are correct, even the grammatical forms (and we have a great many of them) :), I'm really impressed. However I also noticed a possible mistake after all. The name "Bezpłatne Myśl Krucjata" is totally mixed up. In English it means "Free of charge thought crusade". Maybe the correct name was intended to be "Crusade of Free Thought" - then the translation would be "Krucjata Wolnej Myśli". Free as in freedom in Polish is "wolny". "Bezpłatny" means "free of charge". But anyway after reading this snippet I was so delighted I was laughing all the time (that is after I got over what happened to the poor kids there, and if the people there are of Polish descent this will end with lots of blood being spilled all over the place). I wonder what the town of Włocławek will think of it when they find out... :D
Post by kronan   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:07 pm

kronan
Midshipman

Um,
the idiot is the guy who went manual to fire a warning shot.

Assuming computer has a warning shot mode--keeping it in automatic would have wound up in a warning shot vice the inadvertent shoot down snippet 2 left us with
Post by dwmdw45   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:46 am

dwmdw45
Ensign

kronan wrote:Um,

That *is* the security guard. The stingship pilot merely watched the whole thing happen.

I found the names confusing too on first read.
Post by saber964   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:09 pm

saber964
Admiral

Assuming computer has a warning shot mode--keeping it in automatic would have wound up in a warning shot vice the inadvertent shoot down snippet 2 left us with

Who knows if it has a warning shot mode or not. But IIRC the air-bus turned abruptly into the path of the bullets. It happens all the time in shoot outs and firefights.
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:23 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

saber964 wrote:

Who knows if it has a warning shot mode or not. But IIRC the air-bus turned abruptly into the path of the bullets. It happens all the time in shoot outs and firefights.

An airbus should not be maneuverable enough to turn into a properly-aimed warning shot. It was the human lagtime that caused the unintended hit.

Return to Honorverse