Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests

Shadow of victory snippet #2

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Shadow of victory snippet #2
Post by cthia   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:30 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Precious. Precious. Precious. My Precious. Studded with sparkling snippets. My Precious.

More dead kids. And I ain't even gotten over the Mueller School Dome disaster. Why does art have to imitate life?

Thanks Oh Great Wizard Weber! I shall take my snippet with salt and gravy and adore My Precious.

Last edited by cthia on Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:40 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

This snippet takes me back to these discussions...

And I ain't gonna say "I told you so." "Who said that?" this time.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7747&hilit=autopilot&start=20

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Wookie   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:18 am

Wookie
Midshipman

Thanks for the snippet RFC! It sure is funny to have some of my native language in book that is in English :) It took me a while to connect Lądowisko with Landing.

Joat42 wrote:Interesting setup for some kind of uprising. Killing a bus full of kids tend to make people very angry.

The perimeter guard that shot up the bus apparently belongs to the Sea Food Exporters' Association (Stowarzyszenie Eksporterów Owoców Morza).

So what planets do we know of that has Polish as their "native" language?

As far as I know, none of the planets mentioned in earlier books is natively Polish, although there were several characters having last names that could be associated with Polish ancestry.

It is also interesting that during cold war era imort-export agencies were cover for all sorts of covert operations :)
Post by Vince   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:28 am

Vince
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:Precious. Precious. Precious. My Precious. Studded with sparkling snippets. My Precious.

More dead kids. And I ain't even gotten over the Mueller School Dome disaster. Why does art have to imitate life?

Thanks Oh Great Wizard Weber! I shall take my snippet with salt and gravy and adore My Precious.

Quite simply, art is based on life.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by Joat42   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:03 am

Joat42
Admiral

Wookie wrote:..snip..
It is also interesting that during cold war era imort-export agencies were cover for all sorts of covert operations :)

I believe that's the case even today.. :D

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Torlek   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:27 am

Torlek
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

So let me be clear on the sequence of events:
1. ATC of Spaceport approach goes down, because a combination of reasons.
2. Schoolbus driver, who is not familiar with location, uses a traffic lane, which is officially public but in practice for transstellar use only and is not warned of by ATC.
3. Transstellar decides to assert his property rights using warning shoots.
4. Schoolbus driver manages to steer into warning shoots.

Yeah that might lead to some public unrest.
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:33 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Not just any school bus, but one carrying the children with intelligences about 3 standard deviations above average. That means those parents are likely to also be above average in intelligence and given that they come from lower class areas, those families are driven and motivated to succeed. This is true or those kids wouldn't have succeeded in school regardless of their native intelligence. By killing those kids, Ms. Wiktoria's driver has just focused a significant amount of intelligence and motivation in ways the oligarchia may find unpleasant.

In short this accident has just created a recruiting tool for some serious potential rebels. Oh, hello Firebrand, pleased to meet you.

Torlek wrote:So let me be clear on the sequence of events:
2. Schoolbus driver, who is not familiar with location, uses a traffic lane, which is officially public but in practice for transstellar use only and is not warned of by ATC.

Post by cthia   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:39 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Sounds about right. I had already fallen in love with Edyta, because she kicks ass on the chessboard. And because she didn't fall for Karolina's knight trap. Some version of the Steinitz Defense or Ruy Lopez trap or other?

Post by PeterZ   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:43 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

Sounds about right. I had already fallen in love with Edyta, because she kicks ass on the chessboard. And because she didn't fall for Karolina's knight trap. Some version of the Steinitz Defense or Ruy Lopez trap or other?

Dang! Even better fodder for rebels. Wanna bet one of her parents taught Edyta how to play chess? Same sort of parent that regularly cleans Honor's clock playing chess. Clearly, RFC views chess as correlated to strategic/tactical insights.
Post by Eagleeye   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:53 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

PeterZ wrote:
cthia wrote:Sounds about right. I had already fallen in love with Edyta, because she kicks ass on the chessboard. And because she didn't fall for Karolina's knight trap. Some version of the Steinitz Defense or Ruy Lopez trap or other?

Dang! Even better fodder for rebels. Wanna bet one of her parents taught Edyta how to play chess? Same sort of parent that regularly cleans Honor's clock playing chess. Clearly, RFC views chess as correlated to strategic/tactical insights.

He's not alone with that view. There's a reason chess is known to be the "Game of Kings".

Add another aspect to that: Polish girls are known to be beautiful. If that still holds true 2,000 years down the road, the rebels can not only play the "innocent children"-card, but the (by far) stronger "innocent, smart and beautiful (girl-)children"-card to generate support for their cause.

Return to Honorverse