Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ThinksMarkedly and 31 guests

Shadow of victory snippet #2

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Shadow of victory snippet #2
Post by noblehunter   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:59 am

noblehunter
Captain (Junior Grade)

Could be worse for the oligarchs, it could have been Go players. :twisted:
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:31 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

There seems to an assumption that this occurred on a verge planet. Given no location context, it could have occurred on Earth - in which case it could have serious immediate consequences for the Mandarians.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:34 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:There seems to an assumption that this occurred on a verge planet. Given no location context, it could have occurred on Earth - in which case it could have serious immediate consequences for the Mandarians.

The slang doesn't fit Earth. I doubt that even in Poland on Earth, if the nation still exists, that there would be local slang that is so far from common usage so far seen in text.

After all, Chicago is the Capital of the Solarian League. That hotbed of corruption isn't the Second City of the United States. I doubt that any of the nations of Old Earth exist any longer.
Post by ksandgren   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:50 am

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thanks, RFC. I got to this late, but I'm really enjoying it until the bundle comes out soon.
Post by cthia   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:28 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
cthia wrote:Sounds about right. I had already fallen in love with Edyta, because she kicks ass on the chessboard. And because she didn't fall for Karolina's knight trap. Some version of the Steinitz Defense or Ruy Lopez trap or other?

Dang! Even better fodder for rebels. Wanna bet one of her parents taught Edyta how to play chess? Same sort of parent that regularly cleans Honor's clock playing chess. Clearly, RFC views chess as correlated to strategic/tactical insights.

Eagleeye wrote:He's not alone with that view. There's a reason chess is known to be the "Game of Kings".

Add another aspect to that: Polish girls are known to be beautiful. If that still holds true 2,000 years down the road, the rebels can not only play the "innocent children"-card, but the (by far) stronger "innocent, smart and beautiful (girl-)children"-card to generate support for their cause.

Edyta wasn't just smart and accomplished at chess. She's obviously a child prodigy, having been accelerated a full grade and still excelling.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:31 am

roseandheather
Admiral

Clearly, RFC has decided that I haven't cried enough over the last couple of books and set about fixing that.

Mission accomplished.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:57 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:Clearly, RFC has decided that I haven't cried enough over the last couple of books and set about fixing that.

Mission accomplished.

Tell me about it! Reminds me of Irys' lamentation besides Hektor's deathbed or Hamish meeting the Salamander for the first time.
Post by filbert   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:24 pm

filbert
Lieutenant Commander

Is Mr. Łukaszewski about to get a lesson in air combat etiquette from Lt. Kezczyński?
Post by jchilds   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:47 pm

jchilds
Captain of the List

Does Lądowisko translate to some variation of "Landing"?
Post by kzt   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:59 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

filbert wrote:Is Mr. Łukaszewski about to get a lesson in air combat etiquette from Lt. Kezczyński?

I suspect that when a couple of hundred kilo missile hits him at 8km a second he won't have time to learn much.

Return to Honorverse